What's new

Tang Dynasty sword: One of the most ferocious battle knives in ancient China, father of Jap samu

I don't know if you guys see our Chinese inferior complex or should I said arrogant: we all know that Japanese were just copy cat of our culture and knowhow from our pass so we don't want to use of what Japanese have improved of our design or invention such as Katana because we will lost the dignity and feel shameful, we rather wield a crappy sword but keep bragging of our achievement of the pass such Tang sword.

In my opinion, we should get rid of this inferior mentality or face saving, we Chinese has the legitimate right to wield the Katana as well as Tang Sword since it was originate from China but improve by Japanese and we shouldn't have any shame of using it. Of course we should give credit to Japanese for achieve the perfection to this sword. Nowadays we don't use anymore of Katana for war but we should not consider Katana as enemy of Chinese because Japanese has improved it, in contrary we should be proud to see the shadow of Tang empire's glory through Katana.

So my conclusion is Katana is not the sword of shame to Chinese but a sword of Chinese's glory of the pass, without Tang Sword there is not katana of today.

There are a many famous sword types from China, a few uses rare earth minerals. Tangxi sword for example uses the local water from Xiping county in Henan province which contains rare earths and other minerals, making it hard but flexible. There are also different variations, from flexible to more rigid. Just polishing a tangxi sword takes 2-3 months.

湛卢宝剑/Zhanlu sword, this was made by a sword smith from Fujian
zhanlu_sword.JPG

zhanlu_sword2.JPG

龙泉宝剑Longquan sword from Zhejiang
bedf92d036fc26bb808dc007c03fa0df.jpg

543ca5b70d12e276f88b6a632e918fd9.jpg

Tang sword in Tokyo National Museum
87e857d0147e18bae2ee935c2d782a82.jpg

844e51bbae2c0f3c78cb8c360c9a7145.jpg

2240128395e50e3738093ece29e9f87c.jpg

Last edited:
This type of sword is a Japanese cultural heritage.

If we base on IP right, Japanese just copied it from China and make improve it from Tang Sword by having a bending shape, they don't have any right to claim as their cultural heritage.

Last edited:
Katana was a variation of the Tang sword. During the Tang dynasty Japan absorbed many aspects of Chinese culture, language, and technology. One of the major reasons so many Chinese like travelling to Japan was due to the Tang dynasty exchanges.

If we base on IP right, Japanese just copied it from China and make improve it from Tang Sword by having a bending shape, they don't have any right to claim as their cultural heritage.

Left: Katana, Right: Tang sword
katana_tang_sword.JPG

Katana is better than the Tang sword at cutting soft targets, while the Tang sword is better than the Katana at cutting through armour and won't be damaged after striking hard targets like steel armour and bone. They were optimised for different environments. During the Tang dynasty, warfare was with heavily armoured troops.

明光铠 amour from the Tang dynasty weighed 36kg. Warfare in Japan at the time was between less heavily armoured troops and the protection of the armour was inferior to Tang dynasty.
rsq00035or7s558rs30.jpg

Last edited:
I read somewhere that a battalion of 10,000 Tang soldiers and 20,000 local conscripts fought with 200,000 soldiers from an Arab coalition and killed 70,000 of them. This all happened despite the betrayal of those local conscripts...
Tang was truly a superpower back then.

I don't know if you guys see our Chinese inferior complex or should I said arrogant: we all know that Japanese were just copy cat of our culture and knowhow from our pass so we don't want to use of what Japanese have improved of our design or invention such as Katana because we will lost the dignity and feel shameful, we rather wield a crappy sword but keep bragging of our achievement of the pass such Tang sword.

In my opinion, we should get rid of this inferior mentality or face saving, we Chinese has the legitimate right to wield the Katana as well as Tang Sword since it was originate from China but improve by Japanese and we shouldn't have any shame of using it. Of course we should give credit to Japanese for achieve the perfection to this sword. Nowadays we don't use anymore of Katana for war but we should not consider Katana as enemy of Chinese because Japanese has improved it, in contrary we should be proud to see the shadow of Tang empire's glory through Katana.

So my conclusion is Katana is not the sword of shame to Chinese but a sword of Chinese's glory of the pass, without Tang Sword there is not katana of today.

learn our culture

It's just a very narrow-minded view. Interactions between different cultures are very common and borrowing certain elements from other cultures isn't called stealing or considered shameful. In fact China should be proud that variant forms of their culture exist in other places. Yet there are Chinese members here shaming the Japanese for 'stealing' their culture.

Do you see the British calling out the Americans for 'stealing' the English language and Americans should feel shameful? Or Americans who export their music and Hollywood around the world complaining about other countries 'stealing' their culture? These countries are despicable?

Ironically the Tang dynasty, considered the most prosperous dynasty, is the most cosmopolitan dynasty receptive to foreign influences. Religion, music instruments, arts, dance, clothing, sports, food etc.

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat2/4sub9/entry-4282.html

Japan is a patricide. Steal our culture, Chinese characters, even traditional costumes, and the Tang Dynasty music as well.
It's just a very narrow-minded view. Interactions between different cultures are very common and borrowing certain elements from other cultures isn't called stealing or considered shameful. In fact China should be proud that variant forms of their culture exist in other places. Yet there are Chinese members here shaming the Japanese for 'stealing' their culture.

Do you see the British calling out the Americans for 'stealing' the English language and Americans should feel shameful? Or Americans who export their music and Hollywood around the world complaining about other countries 'stealing' their culture? These countries are despicable?

Ironically the Tang dynasty, considered the most prosperous dynasty, is the most cosmopolitan dynasty receptive to foreign influences. Religion, music instruments, arts, dance, clothing, sports, food etc.

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat2/4sub9/entry-4282.html

I read somewhere that a battalion of 10,000 Tang soldiers and 20,000 local conscripts fought with 200,000 soldiers from an Arab coalition and killed 70,000 of them. This all happened despite the betrayal of those local conscripts...
Tang was truly a superpower back then.
There was no Arab conquest of China.

Back
Top Bottom