What's new

Tamilnadu Slams India Over Arrest of Fishermen by SL Navy

manlion

Reaction score
Jaya Slams Centre Over Arrest of Fishermen by SL Navy

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today lambasted Centre for what she termed as "facile do not touch policy" over the arrest of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan navy, and asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to personally take up the matter with Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Referring to the arrest of 140 fishermen in the last two days, she described them as "the largest and most outrageous acts of mass abduction" by the Sri Lankan navy, and slammed such "warlike acts", saying it could not have been carried out without the "tacit support" of Colombo.

"The entire fishing community in Tamil Nadu has lost its faith in the ability of the Government of India to protect the lives and livelihood of innocent fishermen in the high seas. Surely, we cannot continue our facile 'do not touch policy' in the face of these audacious and high handed acts that violate the lives and livelihoods of our fishermen anymore," she said in a letter to Singh.

She expressed hope that Centre would "wake up to the reality of the situation," and come up with a concrete course of action to resolve the issue.

"The Sri Lankan High Commissioner in New Delhi must be summoned to the Ministry of External Affairs and our strong protest lodged. Mr. Prime Minister, Sir, you must personally take up this issue with the President of Sri Lanka without any further delay," she urged.

She expressed fears that failure to take immediate action could be disastrous for fishermen's livelihood and could also flare up socio-economic tensions with the potential to snowball into a major law and order and security issue.

But for the restraint showed by fishermen, avoiding a direct conflict with the 'heavily armed' Sri Lankan Navy personnel, many innocent lives could have been lost when over 300 of them were arrested, Jayalalithaa said.

She said 110 fishermen in 15 boats "quietly surrendered" to the Sri Lankan Navy, while 32 boats with 215 fishermen turned back and returned.

She charged the Lankan Navy with acting with "extreme hostility and punitive intent."

Jayalalithaa recalled she had on earlier occasions told Singh that India's failure to act decisively would embolden the Sri Lankan regime to "prey" upon the fishermen.

Calling for attention on this "extremely volatile, emotive and sensitive issue," she said Government of India should not allow this issue to fester anymore "through continued inaction or through a weak-kneed and timid approach."

"The fishermen community in Tamil Nadu is in a highly agitated mood and we expect quick and decisive action by the Government of India to ensure that the 22 fishing boats and 140 fishermen apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy in the past 24 hours are released forthwith without detention," she said.

She also demanded for action for the release of another 69 fishermen languishing in Sri Lankan Jails.

The question is why were the Indian fishermen fishing in the Sri Lankan Waters ?

The question is why were the Indian fishermen fishing in the Sri Lankan Waters ?
Try explaining this to a guy from Tamil Nadu!

Odds are you will get a long speech about that Island given by India to Sri Lanka.
They never question why apart from this Islands region, fishermen from Tamil Nadu fish in Lankan waters.

The reality is that Tamil Nadu fishermen fished in a non sustainable manner in Indian waters and now the catch is so depleted, they have to go to Lankan waters.

Try explaining that its India's fault and you will have a riot on your hands in Tamil Nadu.

Sri Lankan fishermen arrested by Indian Coast Guard not reported by Indian press in Tamil Nadu. This a very clever way to deflect economic problems faced ie.inflation,lack of infrastructure etc

POLITICIANS ARE RASCALS

Try explaining this to a guy from Tamil Nadu!

Odds are you will get a long speech about that Island given by India to Sri Lanka.
They never question why apart from this Islands region, fishermen from Tamil Nadu fish in Lankan waters.

The reality is that Tamil Nadu fishermen fished in a non sustainable manner in Indian waters and now the catch is so depleted, they have to go to Lankan waters.

Try explaining that its India's fault and you will have a riot on your hands in Tamil Nadu.

I am someone from TN and I have always stated that some do fish illegally and some are getting caught due to the Island dispute and I have always stated resolve the island issue and do whatever you want with the fishermen fishing illegally in different regions other than the island. Likewise that is the position many TN members take here. Aren't you trying to generalize here? I have seen some stupid junior Indian members exhibit this behavior. Coming from a senior one?

Sri Lankan fishermen arrested by Indian Coast Guard not reported by Indian press in Tamil Nadu. This a very clever way to deflect economic problems faced ie.inflation,lack of infrastructure etc

POLITICIANS ARE RASCALS

If it is true, the first one to report this would be The Hindu which is published from Tamilnadu but the most pro-SL newspaper you can see.

I am someone from TN and I have always stated that some do fish illegally and some are getting caught due to the Island dispute and I have always stated resolve the island issue and do whatever you want with the fishermen fishing illegally in different regions other than the island. Likewise that is the position many TN members take here. Aren't you trying to generalize here? I have seen some stupid junior Indian members exhibit this behavior. Coming from a senior one?
Sorry Sashan. I am saying exactly what I have seen.
A sizeable number of people from TN believe that India should bully Sri Lanka on the fishing issue just because we can. They refuse to consider fishing in Lankan waters as wrong - their regular choice of words are - 'what can we do is the catch is depleted in Indian waters?' or 'what option do we have'.

These simply that they know this is wrong but choose to ignore it.

The Island dispute should be resolved, not by having IN storm Lanka, but by diplomatic parley's. I hardly see any push in that direction...just anger when our fishermen get caught by SLN.

Why do people doctor the title to suit their fancy ?

The CM of a state is raising an issue for her political reasons - national elections are months away.

Tamil Nadu is a part of India, the title is making it appear otherwise.

Its like saying "Jafna slams Sri Lanka" or Baluchistan slams Pakistan" on a state issue.

A sizeable number of people from TN believe that India should bully Sri Lanka on the fishing issue just because we can. They refuse to consider fishing in Lankan waters as wrong - their regular choice of words are - 'what can we do is the catch is depleted in Indian waters?' or 'what option do we have'.

The Island dispute should be resolved, not by having IN storm Lanka, but by diplomatic parley's. I hardly see any push in that direction...just anger when our fishermen get caught by SLN.
smaller neighbours needs love not threats..... we are not bully like china who gives threats to smaller ones just to satisfy ego

Jaya Slams Centre Over Arrest of Fishermen by SL Navy

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today lambasted Centre for what she termed as "facile do not touch policy" over the arrest of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan navy, and asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to personally take up the matter with Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Referring to the arrest of 140 fishermen in the last two days, she described them as "the largest and most outrageous acts of mass abduction" by the Sri Lankan navy, and slammed such "warlike acts", saying it could not have been carried out without the "tacit support" of Colombo.

"The entire fishing community in Tamil Nadu has lost its faith in the ability of the Government of India to protect the lives and livelihood of innocent fishermen in the high seas. Surely, we cannot continue our facile 'do not touch policy' in the face of these audacious and high handed acts that violate the lives and livelihoods of our fishermen anymore," she said in a letter to Singh.

She expressed hope that Centre would "wake up to the reality of the situation," and come up with a concrete course of action to resolve the issue.

"The Sri Lankan High Commissioner in New Delhi must be summoned to the Ministry of External Affairs and our strong protest lodged. Mr. Prime Minister, Sir, you must personally take up this issue with the President of Sri Lanka without any further delay," she urged.

She expressed fears that failure to take immediate action could be disastrous for fishermen's livelihood and could also flare up socio-economic tensions with the potential to snowball into a major law and order and security issue.

But for the restraint showed by fishermen, avoiding a direct conflict with the 'heavily armed' Sri Lankan Navy personnel, many innocent lives could have been lost when over 300 of them were arrested, Jayalalithaa said.

She said 110 fishermen in 15 boats "quietly surrendered" to the Sri Lankan Navy, while 32 boats with 215 fishermen turned back and returned.

She charged the Lankan Navy with acting with "extreme hostility and punitive intent."

Jayalalithaa recalled she had on earlier occasions told Singh that India's failure to act decisively would embolden the Sri Lankan regime to "prey" upon the fishermen.

Calling for attention on this "extremely volatile, emotive and sensitive issue," she said Government of India should not allow this issue to fester anymore "through continued inaction or through a weak-kneed and timid approach."

"The fishermen community in Tamil Nadu is in a highly agitated mood and we expect quick and decisive action by the Government of India to ensure that the 22 fishing boats and 140 fishermen apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy in the past 24 hours are released forthwith without detention," she said.

She also demanded for action for the release of another 69 fishermen languishing in Sri Lankan Jails.

If i am not wrong...The title of the thread is changed by the thread poster....Is it not against the forum rule?

Many TN people does not understand that the truth lie somewhere in between where fishermen are fishing in the illegal waters while some of them do around the Island and get caught. True - passion runs high on fishermen arrests and fishermen deaths. But apart from the TN fishermen itself, you would not hear such talks from others.

Island dispute should be resolved diplomatically though you can't blame TN people for asking IN to storm Srilanka. Afterall Indian Government had used its resources in illegal ways(right from conceding the island illegally, signing the fishermen rights agreement without consultation with TN taking advantage of the Emergency to turning a SL freedom movement from non-violent and violent one and making itself a stake holder - I can go on and on) going against the sentiments of TN members wrt SL.

You can blame TN people for some of the jingoisim but at the same time try to see the other side as well.

Too many people make money out of illegal fishing,LTTE controlled northern Srilanka for a longtime,now they don't so many of these trawlers dont get concessions that they were used to.

So the issue gets politicized,we have to live with today's reality of Sinhalese dominating Srilanka.

This is what happens when prabhakaran bites the hand that fed him.

@manlion you have changed the title to suit ur needs! TN is a part of India, and JJ have nothing more to do than slamming centre for every x,y & z.
Indian fishermens fishing near katchateevu is fine. The case is going on in SC.
But they do cross borders and fish deep in SL water, not even near maritime borders. Its time they learnt not to cross borders.
Even GPS are installed in many of their boats, so they know what they are doing.! JJ should advise my state people to respect Intl borders!

There is a plan for coordination between Indian and Srilankan coast gaurds and joint patrols, which is getting delayed.

Back
Top Bottom