What's new

Taliban chief says victory in Afghanistan "close"

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Taliban chief says victory in Afghanistan "close"

By Jonathon Burch

KABUL (Reuters) - Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar said on Wednesday his fighters were close to victory in driving foreign forces out of Afghanistan, flouting claims of progress against the militants by the top military commander there.

In a statement emailed to media marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and attributed to the reclusive Taliban chief, Omar called on President Barack Obama to withdraw U.S. troops "unconditionally and as soon as possible."

"The expansion, momentum and success of this jihadi resistance ... has now approached close to its destination," the statement said in a section addressed to the Afghan people.

"I assure you, our days of sufferings and hardship will not prolong furthermore. Soon, if God willing, our grieved hearts will find solace as the invading enemy is ousted," an English version of the email statement said.

Reuters could not verify the statement's authenticity and the Taliban could not be immediately reached for comment.

Last month, the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan General David Petraeus said he saw "areas of progress" in the war and that momentum by the militants had been checked in their strongholds in Kandahar and Helmand.

If genuine, Wednesday's statement would appear to be Omar's first public reaction since Petraeus's comments and follows a rebuff by a Taliban spokesman late last month.

Violence in Afghanistan is at its worst since Omar and his hardline movement were overthrown in late 2001, with a record number of foreign troop casualties and soaring civilian deaths.

The militants have managed to spread their campaign outside of their traditional bases in the south and east despite the presence of some 150,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan.

In a section of the statement addressed to the "American Rulers and the Misinformed American People," Omar called for a quick withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"This is in your interest and in the interest of your people and the best option for regional stability," the statement said.

While other leaders are believed to be more involved in the day-to-day command of the insurgency in Afghanistan, Omar is still considered the spiritual head of the hardline movement.

add this also----and after victory we will beheed half afghanistan.

amazing y this nato forces and u.s soldiers couldnt compete in this region.

How do they figure that?

• US has had control of most of Afghanistan.
  • They have lost a third of their strength.
  • They lost the battle for hearts and minds.

They have gained nothing from the WOT
and they certainly haven't won the war in Afghanistan.

How do they figure that?

• US has had control of most of Afghanistan.
  • They have lost a third of their strength.
  • They lost the battle for hearts and minds.

They have gained nothing from the WOT
and they certainly haven't won the war in Afghanistan.

let see cause i am nt seeing america winning in this life time its not in the intest of china and russia to see the basses of america in this region and they would do what they can to stop it mark my words

let see cause i am nt seeing america winning in this life time its not in the intest of china and russia to see the basses of america in this region and they would do what they can to stop it mark my words

Now where did I say the US won!? read it again

add this also----and after victory we will beheed half afghanistan.

This time northern alliance have collective support of US, NATO and India!
Taliban cannot defeat them.

I wonder why US and NATO failed to subdue with such modern technology. Bear footed Taliban, who even don't possess sufficient food stuff are successfully moving ahead to force the aggressor to evacuate. Perhaps they are defending their land :usflag:

amazing y this nato forces and u.s soldiers couldnt compete in this region.

Hamid Karzai is running the country like he owns the place and is busy pocketing $ for him and his brother.

What do you expect, US always seem to pick the worst guy. Karzai may have served the purpose in short term, but in the long run he is going to be a liability.

Mullah Omar controls the country and is close to kicking Nato out hmm? So if that was true he would be in Kabul in an office holding press interviews wouldnt he. Big words for a guy hiding in a cave some where sending others out to do the fighting and dying.

I have read reports like this all of the time. I think Mr. Omar might be getting a tad bit ahead of himself once again, as far as 2011 is concerned. Case in point, why is it every spring i read about the Taliban announcing with great fanfare, a great offensive, only to hear nothing else after wards? It's the same thing, year after year! Announcement and then silence, announcement and then silence and so on and so forth...

Sure i accept that the US had suffered some reverses, but nothing like a catastrophic defeat or a severe loss of personnel along the lines of the first or second world war. If anything, Afghanistan is proving to be more of a drain of resources, then manpower due to the widespread corruption going on under the Karzai Presidency!

Not that i am underestimating the Taliban, but a certain amount of perspective would be appreciated.

Why are you guys Afraid of Talliban? Were they not in power before the Invaders got in? What trouble did you see there in Afghanistan under their rule? Get out of this fearofenia and realize Americans out of this territory will give Pakistan stability. We have nothing but to Cherish on this statement.

Back
Top Bottom