What's new

Taiwan can respond to assassination of unarmed fisherman by the Philippines

The PGV vessel has more than twice the speed of the fishing vessel and can overtake it in a matter of minutes, why shoot at it in the first place? And why the chase last so long?
Things just don't add up.

I saw the Vessel its not as big as it is in your minds sir its a civilian vessel converted to be PCG vessel ramming ship is prove to be a favorite tactic of poachers so its very true that ramming this type of vessel is going to be very dangerous and one its not smart to ram ships

Mr. Zero_wing, according to Wiki the PGV vessel is 35M long, 100 tons and capable of 28 knots. The fishing vessel is 15M long, 15 tons and cannot exceeds 12-15 knots (limited by hull design).
By looking at the modern design and the appearance of the gel-coat, I am sure that the fishing vessel is almost brand new (less than a year). A vessel like that will cost about USD 500000 in the States to build, may be less in Taiwan (half?). Still, most likely a life long saving for a fisherman. The owner, under a threatening situation, his first thought will be how to save it from sustain any damage, not how to sink the opponent, especially when there is no match.
Now both captain are seasoned seamen, if I know this, they must both know better.
Then, the part that puzzles me the most is: with a speed advantage of over 300 meters per minute, how come the chase last so long??

That is what I mean by things don't add up.

Well, may the deceased rest in peace, and let us hope that the conclusion can yield some positive outcome for both side.

And like I mentioned in a previous post, shooting at a ship with a machine gun will not neutralize the threat, you cannot see the engine components, you cannot see the fuel tank and you cannot see what/who is inside.
Coast guard captains should be well trained professionals and should know that by doing so will put his crew in more danger, not less.
I just wonder what is the reason for him to give such an order.

Mr. Zero_wing, according to Wiki the PGV vessel is 35M long, 100 tons and capable of 28 knots. The fishing vessel is 15M long, 15 tons and cannot exceeds 12-15 knots (limited by hull design).
By looking at the modern design and the appearance of the gel-coat, I am sure that the fishing vessel is almost brand new (less than a year). A vessel like that will cost about USD 500000 in the States to build, may be less in Taiwan (half?). Still, most likely a life long saving for a fisherman. The owner, under a threatening situation, his first thought will be how to save it from sustain any damage, not how to sink the opponent, especially when there is no match.
Now both captain are seasoned seamen, if I know this, they must both know better.
Then, the part that puzzles me the most is: with a speed advantage of over 300 meters per minute, how come the chase last so long??

That is what I mean by things don't add up.

Well, may the deceased rest in peace, and let us hope that the conclusion can yield some positive outcome for both side.

Well its said 28 notes normally since this ships are old it would be on 15 n

The Taiwanese boat rammed the 35-meter Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) vessel, MCS-3001, at about 10:30 a.m. last Thursday off Balintang Channel between the provinces of Cagayan and Batanes.

“The ramming of the boat into our vessel was certainly an aggressive act so the PCG (Philippine Coast Guard) responded accordingly,” Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.

According to PCG commandant Rear Admiral Rodolfo Isorena, the Taiwanese fishing boat, Guang Ta Hsin-28, together with another Taiwanese vessel were 43-nautical miles east off Balintang Island when the boats were halted by the crew of MCS-3001, a vessel jointly manned by the PCG and BFAR personnel, for an on-board inspection. However, the smaller Taiwanese fishing boat did not respond to the warning and even tried to ram the Philippine maritime agency vessel.

As a result, the commanding officer of the MCS-3001 ordered to open fire at Guang Ta Hsin-28 to disable its engine. However, Taiwanese fisherman named Hung Shih-cheng was accidentally killed.

Two unidentified vessels, one white and one gray, arrived in the area apparently to rescue the disabled Taiwanese vessel, prompting the MCS-3001 to disengage and leave as they were already outnumbered.

Both the PCG and BFAR crew onboard MCS-3001 were relieved as part of the standard operations procedure while the investigations are ongoing.

Incident

On 9 May 2013, the Taiwanese fishing boat Guang Da Xing No. 28 (Chinese: 廣大興28號; pinyin: Guǎngdàxīng Èrshíbā Hào; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Kóng-tāi-hing Jī-tsa̍p-peh Hō) was operating about 164 nautical miles southeast of Cape Eluanbi, Taiwan.[5] The vessel was captained by Captain Hung Yu-chih (洪育智); other crew members on board included the captain's father, Hung Shih-cheng (洪石成), the captain's brother-in-law, Hung Jie-shang and an Indonesian national.

The Filipino Maritime Control Surveillance 3001 (MCS-3001), a 35-meter vessel jointly manned by the Philippine Coast Guard and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources personnel, detected two fishing boats at 43 nautical miles east of Balintang Island, a disputed area between Taiwan and the Philippines. The Philippine Coast Guard opened fire on the fishing boat during a 50-minute chase into Taiwanese waters, that ended around 10:00 in the morning. Fifty-nine bullet holes (45 of which were entry holes) were found on the vessel and the slugs were identified as coming from a semi-automatic rifle. The vessel suffered significant damage, including engine failure, while the main deck experienced severe and concentrated attack, based on the distribution of the bullet holes.
The incident occurred in the high seas and the overlapping exclusive economic zones between Taiwan and the Philippines. The site was 43 nautical miles east of Balintang Island according to the Philippine Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources and 170 nautical miles south of Taiwan according to Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, both well within the 200 nautical mile range prescribed by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

The only thing we can do is to wait for the final investigation to be over

Thank you to everyone that answered my request for your support

I want to express my gratitude to all 35 people that supported my post on BusinessWeek against the Philippines. I only know the names of two of you (e.g. Liang and Aurorae).

I am grateful to the 33 anonymous people that voted for my comment to give it added weight during the early days of the Taiwan-Philippine dispute.

Muchas gracias!

tXIyLAj.jpg

Source link: Taiwan Demands Probe With Philippines Into Fisherman Death (1) - Businessweek

----------

I was on Reuters to support Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou against the Philippines on May 13, 2013.

UTrvZ4j.jpg

Source link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/us-taiwan-philippines-idUSBRE94C02H20130513

----------

In case you're wondering, I'm still pounding away at the Philippines. Here is my comment at The Washington Times on May 23, 2013.

bUbY9Zr.jpg

Source link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/inside-china-taiwan-china-vie-for-toughness/

----------

As the relentless keyboard warrior, here I am criticizing the Philippines on United Press International (UPI) on May 24, 2013.

I will be in the mainstream western media forever to remind the Philippines of their crimes until they start to behave in a civilized manner.

Qltev6d.jpg

Source link: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Se...oost-to-military-spending/UPI-74001369368180/

I saw the Vessel its not as big as it is in your minds sir its a civilian vessel converted to be PCG vessel ramming ship is prove to be a favorite tactic of poachers so its very true that ramming this type of vessel is going to be very dangerous and one its not smart to ram ships

you are an idiot STFU, the PCG boat is 100 ft. and at least 80 tons, vs. a 15 ton fishing boat made of fiber glass. why don't you draw a picture dumb ****

What I don't understand is why would the PCG boat disengage after seeing two unidentified boats if they thought they were in PH waters? Why don't they call for help? especially when the two UI boats were known "fishing boats"?

that sounds like they didn't want to be caught RED-HANDED

why doesn't PH release the video tape???? THAT IS THE QUESTION

you are an idiot STFU, the PCG boat is 100 ft. and at least 80 tons, vs. a 15 ton fishing boat made of fiber glass. why don't you draw a picture dumb ****

What I don't understand is why would the PCG boat disengage after seeing two unidentified boats if they thought they were in PH waters? Why don't they call for help? especially when the two UI boats were known "fishing boats"?

that sounds like they didn't want to be caught RED-HANDED

why doesn't PH release the video tape???? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Because even what size it is a hostile act is still one if the investigation is over let see but for now calling me names does not help anyone moron!

Then why do you keep on insisting on the ramming theory even when your own government says criminal negligence

Well i was hoping you would post again nice to hear from you Admiral General its been long time how's imagination navy and the troops doing are they being update with the latest weapons from your imagination factory?

Well i was hoping you would post again nice to hear from you Admiral General its been long time how's imagination navy and the troops doing are they being update with the latest weapons from your imagination factory?

Thanks for missing :hitwall: me but I was on call as my partner took his family for a nice long vacation.

The video tape is only two hours?? The chase was FOUR hours! the tape most likely contain only a near collision (or attempted "ramming") before the chase and not the end of the chase and the shooting. Why only two hours?

Back
Top Bottom