What's new

Syria resolution: India kept out ‘automatic’ intervention

rama

Reaction score
While India voted in favour of a resolution at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) demanding a stop to all violence in Syria, which was later vetoed by Russia and China, it lobbied to drop a contentious clause seeking “automatic measures” by the international community in case of non-compliance.

Besides, sources said, contrary to perception that New Delhi voted in favour of a regime change in Syria, an “explicit reference” to stepping down of President Bashar al-Assad was dropped after India, among others, raised objection. In fact, India ensured that several stringent clauses were diluted.

Unlike the vote on Libya, the resolution on Syria did not make any references to states taking “any necessary measures” to act against the country unless it adhered. “In case Syria did not act in 21 days, all the UNSC was to do was to meet again to consider action,” sources said of the resolution that was later vetoed.

India’s insistence on a Syrian-led reconciliation process led to the reference to “automatic measures” in case of non-compliance being specifically dropped.

“Our support for the resolution is in accordance with our support for the efforts by the Arab League for a peaceful resolution through a Syrian-led inclusive political process... we believe that the leadership of Syria is a matter for the Syrian people to decide,” India said during the Security Council debate.
Syria resolution: India kept out ‘automatic’ intervention - Indian Express

we appreciate the indian effort, but the draft was still not good enough and in the end the double veto was necessary

18449syrianprotestorsinlebanon_reuters_Stringer.JPG

Superpower panda loved by all :china:

we appreciate the indian effort, but the draft was still not good enough and in the end the double veto was necessary

ROFL. This dude knows nothing and worse still is unwilling to even make an effort to understand!!!

Hey Einstein, what were the contentious issues in the draft that required "double vetoes"?

does not voting in favor of draft is same as veto? a single veto can cancel the resolution then y both the P5(Russia & China) nations vetoing it independently..rnt the communicating with each other before vote?:what:

ROFL. This dude knows nothing and worse still is unwilling to even make an effort to understand!!!

Hey Einstein, what were the contentious issues in the draft that required "double vetoes"?

does not voting in favor of draft is same as veto? a single veto can cancel the resolution then y both the P5(Russia & China) nations vetoing it independently..rnt the communicating with each other before vote?:what:

We all understand that it takes one vote to bring down a resolution at the UNSC. However, China voted with Russia to show solidarity, inform the Western-bloc of their displeasure with previous resolutions (i.e. Libya), and indirectly show support to Iran.

if you are going to slap the anglo-saxon interventionists on the face, better do it twice to make the swollen cheeks look symmetric. hence the double veto

We all understand that it takes one vote to bring down a resolution at the UNSC. However, China voted with Russia to show solidarity, inform the Western-bloc of their displeasure with previous resolutions (i.e. Libya), and indirectly show support to Iran.

this indian wouldn't understand this isn't a technicality; he wouldn't understand that his ignorance and that of his countrymen are exactly why india is denied a permanent seat on the table.

i can understand russia but why china . chines was far better last time why they select this idiot bishar this time ?

The draft endorsed the Jan 22 statement of the Arab League that demanded regime change, and that is what needed a double veto.

Calling for an election would have been reasonable, but demanding regime change means going down the Libya road.

However, I am not condemning India for not opposing Gulf Arab nations, Turkey and the West. We have our constraints, and we don't have a veto in any case.

i can understand russia but why china . chines was far better last time why they select this idiot bishar this time ?

china and russia felt cheated over the libyan vote and put their feet down this time. this time it happens to be syria. there are other reasons and there is a thread dedication to its discussion.

but i would like to hear it from pakistani members what is the (geo)political calculus for pakistan in this because i noticed pakistan voted for the resolution as well. it was known many hours before the vote that china was going for the veto anyway, and chinese envoy to u.n. probably didn't even have any conversation with his pakistani counterpart before the vote. still, it is going to be nice to learn why pakistan took the position it took. arab leaguists i could guess (ideological rivalry with iran i presume? correct me if i am wrong); but what is pakistan's strategic stake in this?

Back
Top Bottom