What's new

Syria posts Iranian radar atop tall Lebanese peak

Anyone know the specs of the radar?

The Daryal-type radar is a bistatic phased-array early warning radar. It consists of two separate large phased-array antennas separated by around 500 metres (1,640 ft) to 2.5 kilometres (4,921 ft). The transmitter array is 30x40 m (98x231 ft) and the receiver is 80x80 m (262x252 ft) in size. The system is a VHF system operating at a wavelength of 1.5 to 5 meters (150 to 300 MHz). Its initial transmit capacity was 70 MW with a target capacity of 750 MW.[1]

Hi
some sources are claiming that it's a mobile radar. Anyways, the Syrians and Iranians have denied that any such transaction took place. In the words of the Syrian embassy spokesman in Washington, he had this to say “classic Israeli PR stunts aimed at diverting the world’s attention from the atrocities they are committing in Gaza and other occupied territories, and we will not continue wasting our time”
Some how i couldn't resist thinking that on one hand Israeli's along with Americans(especially Gambit) consider Iranian technology obsolete & now all of sudden they see this advanced Iranian radar as a potential threat serving the Iranian interests in following ways.
i.Iranians will be strengthening Hizbollah against Israel as such advanced radar will provide accuracy & lethality to Hizbollah missile strikes against Israel
ii. Iranians will be able to know what is coming their way from Israel.
:disagree:

Well, if Israel's record against Iranian sites is anything like their record against the Hezbollah rocketeers, then I suppose they should be quaking in their boots.

If there is any hostilities, that radar will be one of the first things to be destroyed. So how exactly is Iran or Hezbollah going to use it in any future war. Not to mention most likely Israel would take it out long before any move against Iran so that it couldn't be used as a trip wire.

And If Israel does take it out there really isn't much Syria or Iran can do about it. Syria is no match for Israel as evidenced when Israel took out their secret nuke reactor with impunity. And if Iran started launching missiles over it. That would give Israel the excuse to hit Iran's nuke facilities.

Also I don't think that image is of the actual radar since it shows a phased array radar which Iran doesn't have.

Assuming this news is credible, I guess no one consider the possibility that Israel could conduct ECM tactics against the station, keeping the operators constantly on edge...Not knowing when the real strike will occur. Just a thought.

^^ Exactly right. If the radar isn't taken out, the Iranians get warning only of the Israelis *starting* the strike on Iran. If the radar *is* taken out, the Iranians are warned precisely of the same thing.

And what if only the radar is taken out and no attack on Iran happens?

^^ In that case, 1) the Israelis would be guilty of an unprovoked strike on a sovereign country (Lebanon) and 2) the Hezbollah will be able to re-ignite rocket attacks - this time, clearly showing the world that the Israelis started it.

I don't think Israel would want to take this risk in the event that they have no intention of attacking Iran.

Also, as soon as this radar goes down, Iran will probably start aggressive CAPs, put its troops on high alert, turn their radars off or on with greater knowledge of what is about to unfold, activate mobile observation units, mobile manpads units etc. If the attack doesn't happen, then Iran would have simply conducted a few unnecessary sorties. Israel, on the other hand, would have provoked another confrontation with Hezbollah with nary a fig a leaf to cover its naked aggression.

Assuming this news is credible, I guess no one consider the possibility that Israel could conduct ECM tactics against the station, keeping the operators constantly on edge...Not knowing when the real strike will occur. Just a thought.

That's quite possible. Though I think that just as there is a possibility of these ECM tactics, there is also (a greater) possibility that organizations like Hezbollah and Hamas have already posted spotters a couple of km outside Israeli bases to relay launch information via visual observation. Israel has just a handful of bases. All it takes it 50 Hezbollah spotters dressed as farmers or fruit merchants to keep an eye on the movements of the IAF.

^^ In that case, 1) the Israelis would be guilty of an unprovoked strike on a sovereign country (Lebanon) and 2) the Hezbollah will be able to re-ignite rocket attacks - this time, clearly showing the world that the Israelis started it.

I don't think Israel would want to take this risk in the event that they have no intention of attacking Iran.

Also, as soon as this radar goes down, Iran will probably start aggressive CAPs, put its troops on high alert, turn their radars off or on with greater knowledge of what is about to unfold, activate mobile observation units, mobile manpads units etc. If the attack doesn't happen, then Iran would have simply conducted a few unnecessary sorties. Israel, on the other hand, would have provoked another confrontation with Hezbollah with nary a fig a leaf to cover its naked aggression.

Well as Gambit said they can keep jamming the radar using ECM. The radar operators will have no idea when an actual attack is going to occur.

^^ Yes. Please see my response to Gambit on that subject. It's right above your last post.

Lol lots of people, the talk from at least some in Isreal is "thank you for placing a radar nice and close so we can play with it"

One radar is more a political statment than a defence and Tech is probably on the money the guy selling tomatoes with a mobile phone near the air base would be as good.

There are better things under the sleeves than jamming. Jamming is suitable during a tactical mission where the enemies already aware of the mission. In normal scenario, cooked up signals can be fed to the RADAR without making it look like jamming. Iran has simply chosen a wrong audience for this type of psyops.

Lol lots of people, the talk from at least some in Isreal is "thank you for placing a radar nice and close so we can play with it"

One radar is more a political statment than a defence and Tech is probably on the money the guy selling tomatoes with a mobile phone near the air base would be as good.
Even that could be worn down. All the Israeli Air Force has to do is 'scrambled' some typical training sortie along with some ECM targeted against this radar and it would be sooner than later that Iran would be tired of their spotters crying wolf. And yes, this begins to look more like a political statement than anything of tactical value for Iran.

Back
Top Bottom