Swedish newspapers reprint Mohammed cartoon

Cisco-GUY

BANNED
FT.com / Europe - Swedish newspapers reprint Mohammed cartoon

Leading Swedish newspapers on Wednesday published a cartoon depicting the Prophet Mohammed with the body of a dog after the foiling of an alleged plot to kill the artist responsible for the drawing.

Seven people were detained in Ireland on Tuesday in connection with the alleged plan to murder Lars Vilks, a Swedish cartoonist who has been under threat from Islamic extremists since his caricature of Mohammed was first published in 2007.

The decision by three newspapers to republish the cartoon threatened to add fuel to a controversy that has flared intermittently since a Danish newspaper sparked uproar across the Muslim world in 2005 by publishing images of Mohammed, including one depicting him wearing a bomb as a turban.

Dagens Nyheter, a Stockholm-based daily, said it printed the picture as part of its news coverage of the alleged plot but made clear it was also a gesture of solidarity with the artist.

“Vilks doesn’t stand alone in this conflict,” the newspaper said in an editorial. “A threat against him is, in the long term, also a threat against all Swedes.”

Stockholm-based Expressen and Malmo’s Sydsvenska Dagbladet also displayed the cartoon.

Irish police said the alleged plot involved two Algerians, two Libyans, a Palestinian, a Croatian and a US woman married to one of the Algerian suspects. In an apparently related move, US authorities charged a woman in Pennsylvania with plotting to kill a Swedish man and recruiting people over the internet to commit attacks overseas. The US justice department refused to say whether the target was Mr Vilks but US media reports said the cases were connected.

The indictment said Colleen LaRose, who used the pseudonym “Jihad Jane” in internet postings, wrote in e-mails of her willingness to become a martyr. “Today’s indictment, which alleges that a woman from suburban America agreed to carry out murder overseas and to provide material support to terrorists, underscores the evolving nature of the threat we face,” said David Kris, head of the department’s national security division.

Mr Vilks is one of several artists and editors to have faced threats from Islamic extremists vowing revenge for publication of cartoons, which break an Islamic law forbidding depictions of the prophet.

i don't understand why are they reprinting again n again? what are they trying to show with that?

Obviously hurting the feelings of Muslims............ nothing else

"Lanat hai" on our leaders........ they should commit suicide :angry:

Culture issues and right to freedom. We are not aware of ME sensitivity to religion and as we insult Jesus christ in our daily lives, we presume same is true for others.

Death threats or Hit-man are not going to solve the problem rather its going to antagonize the Europeans in egoistic way. Instead preach your discomfort with peace coupled with arguments.

i don't understand why are they reprinting again n again? what are they trying to show with that?

bhaiya they are only checking k musalmano ki nabbaz abhi tak chal rahi hay k nahi?

our govt officials/politicians are not leaders but businessmen, for them politics is business nothing else so they are grabing whatever they can in this 5 year tenure, have no interest or even time to think about such petty issues.:angry:

I think the OIC should Deal with Swedan on a Higher level.

The first thing they would have in mind is to disgrace the Muslims. i dont think that they dont know that this is gonna agitate them beforehand. and same is happening but i fail to understand the logic behind it

And Now wat the HELL are taliban doing, Instead of blowing us they should blow that swedish news paper if they wana do Jihad

At the times of our Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), a kafir insulted Madinah (city of the prophet) in front of a Sahabah (R), and Sahabah took out his sword to cut his head off but Prophet (PBUH) stoped him and now the things are gone too far that the people are publishing such stuff we should torcher them to death

why the fck wil they reprint ? ... ans : they are taking a piss .. if some one blows their press i wont cal him a terrorist instead he will be my hero ... such acts are disgusting by swedish papers ..

Wat was wrong with the cartooon? Can anybody share the cartoon? If it is so offended, why Muslims countires, i mean all middle east and Pakistan govt take strong steps ,recall there ambasdors and kick off theres out of there country in protest...

bhaiya they are only checking k musalmano ki nabbaz abhi tak chal rahi hay k nahi?

our govt officials/politicians are not leaders but businessmen, for them politics is business nothing else so they are grabing whatever they can in this 5 year tenure, have no interest or even time to think about such petty issues.:angry:

We need leaders like Saladin Ayyoubi otherwise nothing is gonnai happen with our Muslim Ummah

Who said it was our prophet cartoon? There is no sketch of our nabi kareem (SWS) exist. Ignore them ignorant pigs.

Agree but he tried to create imaginary picture of our Prophet.

I think the OIC should Deal with Swedan on a Higher level.

They are bunch of losers......... expect nothing from them ever

And Now wat the HELL are taliban doing, Instead of blowing us they should blow that swedish news paper if they wana do Jihad

Agree

Where is TechLahore today. No comments on this.

BTW I don't like the hurting others sentiment deliberately.