What's new

Sweden trying to sell India next generation Gripen – Lockheed Martin offers F-16s

So what the soldolon buy 250 million$ Rafael a pop or wait another decade for tejas mk2 when most of the countries are moving for 5th generation

You mean we should by a 50% Rafale capability aircraft at 250million dollar and leave out 100% Rafale at 250million US dollars ?

If I had the option, then get 54 Rafale in fly in condition from France to keep the price low, and struck a deal with Russia for around 150 Mig-35 to be built in India.

100-120 F-16 IN is viable only if they offer that for around 50-60 Million a piece, still I'd go for 150 more Mig-35, just in case, I'll not be comfortable pitching our F-16s against Pakistani F-16s.

Last edited:
How about twin engine medium LCA ?
8-10 years won't be enough ?
In 10 billion $ , I guess everything can be covered ..

Let's move onto amca after that..

How about twin engine medium LCA ?
8-10 years won't be enough ?
In 10 billion $ , I guess everything can be covered ..

Let's move onto amca after that..

If funded now, a twin engined medium version LCA can be ready for flight testing within 4-5 years, if there's not much significant aerodynamic changes.

If I had the option, then get 54 Rafale in fly in condition from France to keep the price low, and struck a deal with Russia for around 150 Mig-35 to be built in India.

100-120 F-16 IN is viable only if they offer that for around 50-60 Million a piece, still I'd go for 150 more Mig-35, just in case, I'll not be comfortable pitching our F-16s against Pakistani F-16s.

Grippen has lot to offer...they are newer fighters than F16

lolzzzz here we are again back in 2005 ahahhhaha

This time things are going to move given that there is a nationalist government in place

This time things are going to move given that there is a nationalist government in place
yes sir we have seeen things going on fast in last two years also . all this hip hop is going on here since years and years . happy to see again MMRCA threads

Grippen has lot to offer...they are newer fighters than F16

Engine is foreign, the radar is from Selex, an Italian firm, payload is unsatisfactory, more in the range of LCA. The advantages offered by Gripen is not enough to justify it at twice the price of LCA.

lolzzzz here we are again back in 2005 ahahhhaha

I agree, we fcuked up this deal big time.

Engine is foreign, the radar is from Selex, an Italian firm, payload is unsatisfactory, more in the range of LCA. The advantages offered by Gripen is not enough to justify it at twice the price of LCA.

Ok, apart from F16, grippen there is no other good single engine fighters. then I guess we should invest in Tejas.

Yes ~3 squadrons in fly away condition.
Get more Su30s, ensure Tejas Mk1 has FOC and MK1A prototype constructed.
And then order ~8 squadrons of Mig35s.

Ok, apart from F16, grippen there is no other good single engine fighters. then I guess we should invest in Tejas.

F-16 has matured engine and avionics, and is an excellent multirole fighter, only after Rafale, if you ask me. A split order between F-16IN and Mig-35 is a sureshot way to go from here. If Rafale fails.

yes sir we have seeen things going on fast in last two years also . all this hip hop is going on here since years and years . happy to see again MMRCA threads

there is not going to be MMRCA. Choosing Rafale was a big mistake given that India was trying to fill the gap of Mig21. Rafale cost $250 million a piece. A price tag that doesn't allow India to fill a gap left by retiring almost 500 fighters. Either F16, Grippen, or Tejas can only fill that gap.

if f16 and gripen are the options left.then why not tejas

F-16, Rafale are the Medium category fighter which is the main current need of the IAF, tejas would be low category which is going to be replacing mig-21,27

Yes ~3 squadrons in fly away condition.
Get more Su30s, ensure Tejas Mk1 has FOC and MK1A prototype constructed.
And then order ~8 squadrons of Mig35s.

I'm bullish on Mig-35 mainly because there's minimal change in aerodynamics, hence lower training time to get acquainted with the training. And an assembly unit and manufacturing unit can be set up in very minimal time.

F-16 has matured engine and avionics, and is an excellent multirole fighter, only after Rafale, if you ask me. A split order between F-16IN and Mig-35 is a sureshot way to go from here. If Rafale fails.

I agree. But again Mig35 is twin engine hence lot of problems regarding maintenance and availability. India should look for single engine fighters.

Back
Top Bottom