What's new

Suspensions for Students Who Rooted Against India

Beating somebody for supporting a cricket team is a bit too much, don't you think? Pakistan has become a hostage to extremists but looks like India is not too far behind. God knows what future holds for the Indian sub-continent. Doesn't look too bright though.
I do not see anything wrong with what they did, its something Pakistan would do as well. Thats the thing, this is exactly how it is. Democracy and Free Speech are good posters to hang but following it is next to impossible. This happened at a UNIVERSITY of all places. The epicenter of where democracy takes root.

Bro,

try and understand few things in this context. . .

1) that place had recently suffered a big communal riot. . things are not yet settled completely.

2) " it was just a game" thats easier said than done. . . even you know how cricket is taken in this part the world . . especially between our nations.

3) the expulsion is temporary . . just to ensure the safety of these kids ( local students can't be moved somewhere else )

so, all this feel good things about bad happening in India is not justified either.. being a young Nation . . .we still have a big number of conservatives in our society . . .freedom of speech/expression doesn't mean to hurt someone else's sentiments :pleasantry:

NEW DELHI — Kashmiri students at a private university in northeastern India were suspended indefinitely and removed from their dorms on Monday after they cheered for the Pakistani team during a televised cricket match against India.

“You cannot pass judgments against your own national team,” said Manzoor Ahmed, vice chancellor of Swami Vivekanand Subharti University in Meerut, explaining the decision to remove the students. “Their behavior was not conducive to peace on the campus. It creates bad blood with the local boys.”

Cricket is a national obsession in India. Some Kashmiris root against the Indian team because of resentment from decades of national policies deemed oppressive there, including routine arrests of pro-independence figures and thousands of disappearances.

India and Pakistan, once part of the same country, violently divided in 1947 and have since fought three wars, two of them over Kashmir, a region divided between the two countries. Pakistan has been the source of repeated terrorist attacks in India, including one in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 164 people and wounded at least 308.

The issue of the suspensions was raised in Kashmir’s Parliament on Tuesday by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, which supports the suspended students. The Bharatiya Janata Party and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party did not support the students and walked out of Parliament to protest the discussion.

The university hired several buses to take the 67 suspended students off campus after the episode, which happened on Sunday. Only a few of the students cheered too enthusiastically, Mr. Ahmed said, but because no one would tell administrators who had done so, all but one of the Kashmiri students in a dorm dominated by them were suspended.

“They shared guilt because nobody came out with information,” Mr. Ahmed said.

A chair and a pane of glass were also broken during the game, both of which were inappropriate, Mr. Ahmed said. But he said that cheering for Pakistan was the most egregious offense.

The Kashmiri students will have to appeal their suspension before they will be allowed to return to the university, Mr. Ahmed said.

India has an ambivalent relationship toward free speech. Statements or writings deemed hurtful to some communities are illegal, and controversial books and authors have sometimes been banned. Salman Rushdie’s “The Satanic Verses” is still banned, and last month a prominent publisher withdrew a scholarly book because of a suit claiming that it denigrated Hindus.

Hurt feelings can sometimes prompt mass killings, which have afflicted India for most of its modern history. Meerut is in Uttar Pradesh, a giant state that has suffered more than 100 deadly riots over the past year, including one in Muzaffarnagar in August that caused 43 deaths and led thousands to flee their homes.

A shared love of cricket has sometimes brought India and Pakistan, nuclear-armed neighbors who perpetually flirt with war, closer together, but it can also be explosive. In a separate episode, a Kashmiri student at Career Point Gurukul in Kota, a test-preparation academy, said in an interview that administrators gave a dozen Kashmiri students a separate room in which to watch the match on Sunday, fearing a confrontation. The student asked that his name not be used for fear of reprisals.

When India lost, he was chased by a mob of hundreds of fellow students, whom he barely escaped, he said. Administrators eventually moved the Kashmiri students to a protected building, he said.

“I was born in Kashmir, and since childhood everyone around me supported the Pakistan cricket team,” the student said. “I don’t like Pakistan for anything else. It’s just their cricket team that I support.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/w...pakistan-cricket-team.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Of course..this guy is not so much innocent that he does not know rwhere does he live in?....Trying to pretend himself as a innocent guy...

I said muslims in J&K included in the first place. Whats the difference b/w Indian muslims and J&K muslims anyway?

The basic difference. . Indian Muslims don't support their cause. . kashmiris do :pleasantry:

thats like you rub my back i'll rub yours :drag:

this whole point of care is nothing but mutual interest. . why not a similar affection for the Uyghurs living in China ?

Him liking Pakistani Cricket team is still not good enough. Should be thrown across LOC to Pakistan :lol:

One day they will not have to give any excuses to support land of pure. Hindu is peculiar animal, he enjoy suffering of others. This was said by dalit news editor by the way.
--
yes by this speed you own destroying it day by day

I said muslims in J&K included in the first place. Whats the difference b/w Indian muslims and J&K muslims anyway?

Kashmiri Muslims are considered Pakistani so our concern for them is both national and religious whereas We recognize Indian Muslims fate is tied with India and so we wish you the best as Muslim brothers but we don't necessarily care for your issues nor do I think you guys want us too anyway.

Good to see your lundi was spotted just in time. Dalit name is V.T.Rajshekar

You guys don't even see dalits as equally, let alone muslims. Kashmiri muslims are our blood brothers, we only care about them. They have nothing in common with Indians.
--
you even waht dalit means ? can you explain who is dalit..
as per indian constitution ,,
discrimination based on religion ,caste , sex is crime .. yes crime. (atrocity act of SC).
dont lesson us .. at least you.. you guys dont even accept you ahamdiyas as muslim
can you tell me as per your constituiion which protects discrimination ?
you support discrimanation..
here in india you can shout against state / relgion too many times
what you do.. blashmey law.. kiilling governor and making shahid of killer ?

YOU KNOW PAK is byproduct of INDIA

The basic difference. . Indian Muslims don't support their cause. . kashmiris do :pleasantry:

thats like you rub my back i'll rub yours :drag:

this whole point of care is nothing but mutual interest. . why not a similar affection for the Uyghurs living in China ?

Uyghers cause is based on race not religion so why we should we support them? It is true they are most poor in China but China is working on remedying that. Also there are more non Uygher Muslims in China than Uygher anyway so the issue is not black and white.

Kashmiri Muslims are considered Pakistani so our concern for them is both national and religious whereas We recognize Indian Muslims fate is tied with India and so we wish you the best as Muslim brothers but we don't necessarily care for your issues nor do I think you guys want us too anyway.

:blah::blah::blah::blah: take care of balochis and shias. Kashmiri people are none of your concern.:coffee:

yesterday a thread was running on how a kashmiri student was stabbed by army after Pak won
the news was fake
but you know what was the reaction of Pakistanis on that thread

they said.......it was a good news and anti India feelings will take a rise

you guys dont give a shit about muslims or kashmiris as such
you just care about a stupid piece of land and that to bcoz of your ego and rivalry against India

-- why your concern specialy relgious brother hood stop at kashmir ..
just about UGhirs is china .. are they aliens? are they no bro?

Uyghers cause is based on race not religion so why we should we support them? It is true they are most poor in China but China is working on remedying that. Also there are more non Uygher Muslims in China than Uygher anyway so the issue is not black and white.

LOL first you claim to be saviors of whole muslim community and now you are excusing it by saying it's about race. Seedhe seedhe bol na aukaat ke bahar h.

Back
Top Bottom