What's new

Survey: South Koreans Prefer Kim Jong-un to Shinzo Abe

Genesis

Reaction score
Country
China
Anyone else still thinks Koreans will ally against China with Japan? Which stupid idiot keep putting Korea on the other side of China? They hate Japanese and North Koreans. Just because they are an American ally doesn't mean they are a Chinese enemy.

But I got a solution to Mr.Abe, wine and dine Dennis Rodman, it did wonders for Kim, so quick before Kim books Rodman for another round.

Survey: South Koreans Prefer Kim Jong-un to Shinzo Abe | The Diplomat

Survey: South Koreans Prefer Kim Jong-un to Shinzo Abe
For the first time, Shinzo Abe is perceived less favorably than Kim Jong-un in South Korea.

ankit-panda-36x36.jpg

By Ankit Panda
March 05, 2014
1 Shares
0 comments
Public perceptions, while they don’t drive foreign policy, have a moderating effect on the extents to which nations can relate with each other. Ever since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe came to power in Japan, perceptions of Japan have declined in its immediate neighborhood. Both China and South Korea in particular have grown noticeably cold towards Japan – not entirely without reason, as Abe has given them plenty of reason for concern. Abe’s decision to visit Yasukuni Shrine in December 2013 added to concerns that he was out to revise Japan’s post-war pacifist stance.

A recent survey out of Seoul finds that Abe’s reputation is such that South Korean respondents ranked North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un above Abe in a survey of global leaders. The survey is the bi-monthly leader ratings survey from the Asan Institute for Policy Studies in Seoul. This is the first time that Abe has polled below Kim Jong-un. According to The Wall Street Journal, Kim Jong-un “had a rating of 1.3 on the survey’s 0-10 scale, compared with 1.1 for Mr. Abe. Of those questioned in Asan’s March 3 phone survey of 1,000 people, 61% gave Mr. Abe a zero rating, compared with 58% for Mr. Kim.” A couple months ago, Abe tied with Kim Jong-un – both fielding a 1.0 score. Barack Obama has consistently topped the ranking since September 2013, with Xi Jinping in close second.

Since the survey is conducted bimonthly, it is particularly sensitive to ebbs and flows in South Korea’s relations with other countries. In recent weeks, the South and the North held rare high-level talks without preconditions and held reunions for families split up by the Korean War armistice.

These events don’t necessarily portend a longer-term improvement in inter-Korean relations, as North Korea has been known to suddenly provoke. Despite this apparent rapprochement, the North did provoke the South twice last week with missile launches off its eastern coast and a naval incursion across the Northern Limit Line (the maritime extension of the demilitarized zone across the 38th parallel). The North also heavily protested the annual South Korean-U.S. military exercises.

The ever-so-slight improvement in the perception of Kim Jong-un in the South might also be due to a renewed push by South Korean President Park Geun-hye towards Korean reunification. Although her vision for reunification is strictly symbolic at this stage, combined with high-level talks and the family reunions, it appears to be setting the two Koreas on a positive trajectory. Reunification will be set back by the massive cost of assimilation for the South, whose economy is over 40 times as large as that of the North’s, and due to a lack of interest among South Korean youth.

Abe’s impact on Japan’s image in South Korea and China can’t be overstated. Despite other prominent voices in Japan calling for Abe to moderate his approach to Japanese history and international relations, the decline in Japan’s perception in its immediate neighborhood is relentless. The decline in South Korea-Japan relations has not yet spurred the United States to make any attempts at forging better ties. Mediating between its allies in Northeast Asia is a risky proposition for the United States. When President Obama visits both Tokyo and Seoul in April, it is likely that he will broach the topic of South Korea-Japan relations with both President Park and Prime Minister Abe in private. The U.S. alliance system can of course persist even if South Koreans despise Abe, but tensions between allies can have unexpected consequences.

Stil doesnt make South Koreans like China its basically like this
Japan<North Korea<China<Rest of the world
They hate you three some more (japan) some less (China)

Rest of the world and peace loving people > terrorists :bunny:

Stil doesnt make South Koreans like China its basically like this
Japan<North Korea<China<Rest of the world
They hate you three some more (japan) some less (China)

yea right, like you follow Korean and Chinese relationship as I do. Or know our history together.

yea right, like you follow Korean and Chinese relationship as I do. Or know our history together.
Well you guys are part of a reason why Korea is splitted up and i know some Koreans they dislike China but hate Japan more

Well you guys are part of a reason why Korea is splitted up and i know some Koreans they dislike China but hate Japan more
some Tibetans also hate Poland, anybody can hate anybody, but the atmosphere between us is good. Korean and China today is one of co-existence, there are many events in which we promote good relations every year together. Koreans don't feel threatened is because why would they, China has no plan and no intention of invading Korea, that would be a weird war.

To say Koreans and Chinese dislike for each other is more like the Canadian and American, yea some do exist, but it's more of a thing between siblings than it is a full on dislike.

No surprise. Abe is offensive, KJU is not. KJU has never said that comfort women were just prostitutes.

Both Korea's have long history with China and that experience have never been as bitter as Japanese occupation for 35 years from 1912 to 1947 or Hideyoshi's invasion before:
Toyotomi Hideyoshi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japanese invasions of Korea (1592–98) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baekje+Yamato Wa (Japan) had similar fate against Silla+Tang alliance, total annihilation:
Battle of Baekgang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Koreans may not like China because of centuries long history as a subordinate vassal state of Chinese empire, but I believe they will not join this anti-China alliance Asian Pivot of US-Japan-India-Australia, because that alliance will eventually fail and that alliance has Japan in it.

Korean peninsula has land border with China, so once the two Korea's integrate more, there is potential for the US bases to be removed and the integrated Korean peninsula becoming closer to China and ASEAN (- Vietnam - Philippines), despite South Korea's current close relations with the US.

The US is using Christian religion and Christian population as a strategic asset in South Korea. China needs to support Korean Buddhists who are more pro-Asian, pro-Chinese and against use of South Korea as Western pawn.

Both Korea's have long history with China and that experience have never been as bitter as Japanese occupation for 35 years from 1912 to 1947 or Hideyoshi's invasion before:
Toyotomi Hideyoshi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japanese invasions of Korea (1592–98) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baekje+Yamato Wa (Japan) had similar fate against Silla+Tang alliance, total annihilation:
Battle of Baekgang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Koreans may not like China because of centuries long history as a subordinate vassal state of Chinese empire, but I believe they will not join this anti-China alliance Asian Pivot of US-Japan-India-Australia, because that alliance will eventually fail and that alliance has Japan in it.

Korean peninsula has land border with China, so once the two Korea's integrate more, there is potential for the US bases to be removed and the integrated Korean peninsula becoming closer to China and ASEAN (- Vietnam - Philippines), despite South Korea's current close relations with the US.

The US is using Christian religion and Christian population as a strategic asset in South Korea. China needs to support Korean Buddhists who are more pro-Asian, pro-Chinese and against use of South Korea as Western pawn.

Chinese vassal and western vassal has different meanings. Korean king has full autonomy from the Chinese dynasties, they give a gift whenever they go pay tribute, but they also receive when they leave, most time with more than they brought in. Besides, the last time that actually mattered was before 1885 and 20 ideologies ago.

I believe China will be the one to take the North, any guarantee of American departure can only come if we got a card to play and that card is the North. There's also a more sinister reason I think we should take the North before handing it back, but the outcome is the same, Americans must leave if we are to hand it back to SK.

There have been reports here and there of signs that while it may not be imminent, that the leadership is thinking about it.

As to religion, don't worry about it, it will have no effect. Worrying about religion being a factor in east Asia is like worrying a blind man may see his surprise party.

Chinese vassal and western vassal has different meanings. Korean king has full autonomy from the Chinese dynasties, they give a gift whenever they go pay tribute, but they also receive when they leave, most time with more than they brought in. Besides, the last time that actually mattered was before 1885 and 20 ideologies ago.

I believe China will be the one to take the North, any guarantee of American departure can only come if we got a card to play and that card is the North. There's also a more sinister reason I think we should take the North before handing it back, but the outcome is the same, Americans must leave if we are to hand it back to SK.

There have been reports here and there of signs that while it may not be imminent, that the leadership is thinking about it.

As to religion, don't worry about it, it will have no effect. Worrying about religion being a factor in east Asia is like worrying a blind man may see his surprise party.

I don't know the full details of how Chinese vassals were like you do, but I have seen many Korean historical drama's, so I think I know what you are saying. But make no mistake, the dislike is there. But they are not stupid and I think they are more bright than the Japanese and that is why they will not make mistake like the Japanese.

Taking North Korea and ousting this dog Kim dynasty would be great, as long as it is done with an understanding with South Korea. Problem is South Korea is today controlled by pro-US political party, who come to power using Christian evangelist votes. So they will follow US instruction and probably not work with China.

You are right about religion in East Asia, religion is not so strong and atheism is more prevalent. But Christian evangelists in Korea have big political and strategic role keeping pro-US party in power, which affects relations with China and keeping the US bases in South Korea.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom