What's new

Superpower China: inevitable or fragile?

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - Superpower China: inevitable or fragile? | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

The United States is losing the economic race against China. Within 20 years, the Asian power will be dominant.

What’s more, there’s nothing much that the US can do about it. It is China, not the US, that will determine the outcome of the race.

So argues Arvind Subramanian, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, in a new and (it goes without saying) provocative book.

For a taste of Eclipse: Living in the Shadow of China’s Economic Dominance, an article adapted from the book appears in the latest issue of Foreign Affairs.

Whether consciously or not, the title of that article, The Inevitable Superpower, forms a striking parallel with China: Fragile Superpower, a book by Susan Shirk, a US academic-cum-diplomat, that was published four years ago.

So which is it? Inevitable or fragile?

To be fair, Subramanian is more nuanced than to say that China’s rise is guaranteed. He includes one rather large caveat: “China can radically mess up, for example, if it allows asset bubbles to build or if it fails to stave off political upheaval”.

But he comes down heavily on the side of Beijing carrying the day: “China’s economic dominance is more imminent and will be both greater and more varied than is currently supposed”.

To make that argument, he points to three dimensions of economic strength: GDP, total trade and external debt position. These three dimensions correlated well with the decline of the United Kingdom and the rise of the United States last century, and they point to a similar power shift in the coming decades between the United States and China, he says.

In fact, given China’s fast-growing economy, its booming exports and imports and its role as a top global creditor, it might already have edged past the United States in economic power, Subramanian says.

And an anxious US simply cannot do much, he adds. Even if the American economy were to defy all odds and return to a 3.5 per cent growth rate over the next two decades, it would still inexorably fall behind a China growing at 7 per cent.

Subramanian closes by saying that predictions of enduring US dominance are based on a “mechanical interpretation of history”. It is a curious turn of phrase from a scholar whose own predictions can be faulted for displaying such a mechanical interpretation. China’s development over the past three decades has been breath-taking, but can we really extrapolate that its growth will continue unabated?

Economic risks are hotly debated: a bubbly property sector, over-reliance on investment and rising government indebtedness. But what is even more uncertain is the country’s political evolution.

In Shirk’s book, she argued that China’s leaders faced a paradox: the more prosperous the country, the more insecure they feel. In particular, she said they are frightened by nationalist critics at home.

Her book was published in 2007, long before last month’s fatal train cash that revealed a different facet of public opinion for China’s leaders to worry about. More than just nationalism, demands for basic government accountability are sprouting up alongside the country’s stunning growth.

So while the economic stars are aligned for China’s ascent towards superpowerdom, its political path is only going to get more complicated.

Superpower China: inevitable or fragile? | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

The only race China should look foward to, is the miltary race, where it is miles behind USA and even Russia.

I have posted this in another thread but here it goes again:

Distance from my home to US: around 10,000+ miles

Distance from my home to nearest US base: 2500 km (Diego Garcia)

Talk to me when China can pull of this type of 'stunts'.

Funny how these mental-masturbation articles about "China superpower" :-)rofl:), are always written by non-Chinese. Like Westerners, or in this case.. by an Indian author.

Perhaps because free media allows these non-chinese to mentally masturbate( i.e. write anything)....whereas Chinese have it done by their CCP and its media.

Perhaps because free media allows these non-chinese to mentally masturbate( i.e. write anything)....whereas Chinese have it done by their CCP and its media.

Hong Kong is ranked #2 in Asia on the Press Freedom Index. Whereas India doesn't even rank in the top 100. :lol:

So why don't we see these kinds of articles coming out of the Hong Kong Chinese media?

Hong Kong is ranked #2 in Asia on the Press Freedom Index. Whereas India doesn't even rank in the top 100. :lol:

So why don't we see these kinds of articles coming out of the Hong Kong Chinese media?

And what kind of news Hong Kong media mostly carry,entertainment,lifestyle and mafia wars.

Oh really? The guys from Press Freedom Index would like to disagree.

Hong Kong comes in at 34th place whereas mainland China is 171st out of the 178 countries reported!India takes the 122nd spot,all of it that is!

Press Freedom Index 2010 - Reporters Without Borders

Now, don't give me crap about why its anti-china or biased. You asked for Hong Kong media which being free (as you mentioned) is capable of voicing its opinion.

If I use google translator(which I can't at work) I'd give you another 50 pages of links.

To the question you dont see it, it's called Selective Amnesia.

Oh and before you come back whining again, each of those links discusses China SHOOPAPOWA. :lol:

Oh really? The guys from Press Freedom Index would like to disagree.

Hong Kong comes in at 34th place whereas mainland China is 171st out of the 178 countries reported!India takes the 122nd spot,all of it that is!

Press Freedom Index 2010 - Reporters Without Borders

Learn to read please. :lol:

"Hong Kong is ranked #2 in Asia."

You even quoted it yourself.

And Epoch Times is the most anti-China BS, so how could they possibly be "boasting" about China. :rofl:

I have posted this in another thread but here it goes again:

Distance from my home to US: around 10,000+ miles

Distance from my home to nearest US base: 2500 miles (Diego Garcia)

Talk to me when China can pull of this type of 'stunts'.

Huh, if you are 2500 miles from Diego Garcia, I guarantee you the nearest Chinese base is closer to your home.

Learn to read please. :lol:

"Hong Kong is ranked #2 in Asia."

You even quoted it yourself.

Asia?OMG! I hear they give out Nobel prizes for that lolz.Oh wait,didn't the current Nobel peace prize go to a Chinese?Last I heard he wasn't even allowed to go and receive it.Freedom rules in China really!

Huh, if you are 2500 miles from Diego Garcia, I guarantee you the nearest Chinese base is closer to your home.

Where exactly...in Sri Lanka? & apologies it was 2500 km not miles.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom