What's new

Students from China feel alienated by Singaporeans, says scholar

Holmes

Reaction score
Country
United States

Chinese students studying here feel that they are alienated by Singaporeans and respond to perceived arrogance by reacting in kind, said Oxford doctoral student and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) graduate Yang Peidong.

Mr Yang, 26, presented his ethnography study yesterday to a group of some 50 Singaporean and Chinese students and professors at the East Asian Institute in the National University of Singapore.

Between August and December last year, he interviewed 30 scholarship-holders between the ages of 18 to 22 from six faculties from a university in western Singapore. The faculties included bioscience and electrical and electronic engineering.

Mr Yang gave the example of how his interviewees said they feel "ill at ease" with the use of Singlish - the lingua franca Singaporeans use - as the former are only familiar with the English used in textbooks, such as British or American English.

"Their inability to effectively participate in communication (in Singlish) still isolates them," he noted.

Hence, they "resist or protest against this oppression" by developing coping mechanisms, such as a sense of superiority.

"When they perceive themselves as on the receiving end of snobbery or contempt from Singaporeans because of their unfashionable sense of dress or roughness of manners, they are equally quick to return snobbery and contempt by belittling Singapore and its culture," he reasoned.

His research also found that many were bewildered by the things Singaporeans engage in, such as orientation activities, which they view as silly and unsophisticated. They also perceive Singaporeans as lacking in intellectual depth, such that they are unable to engage in meaningful discussions.

Mr Yang graduated from NTU in 2008 with a bachelor's degree in maritime studies.

He won a Nippon Foundation Fellowship to study for a master of philosophy degree in social sciences at Cardiff University. He lived in Singapore for seven years and is now in Oxford pursuing a PhD in education.

His study comes amid rising tension between Chinese and Singaporeans.

In February, a Chinese scholar, Mr Sun Xu, 25, caused a furore after he commented on his blog hat there were more "dogs than humans" in Singapore.

Mr Yang's presentation led to a heated debate among audience members, who questioned whether the study was representative of the views of the students from China here. He replied that his ethnography research is not meant for a general study, but seeks to look into specific cases.

Mr Yang told reporters he wanted to explore what might have caused Chinese students to "harbour uncharitable thoughts" which could lead to, for instance, Mr Sun's "indiscreet remarks". While tensions between the groups were "not that serious", both could be more "open-minded towards other cultures", he said.

He added: "Chinese education has this nationalistic undertone sometimes. Chinese students need to know more about Singapore's history and culture and the experiences of Singapore students."

Nice, now expect the troll brigade to arrive here in minutes!!

While tensions between the groups were "not that serious", both could be more "open-minded towards other cultures".

Any two groups of people that have different upbringings and are strangers to each other are bound to have some kind of frictions. There is no need to make a mountain out of a molehill. Given time and with dialogues these two homogenous people with the same culture background will be fine.

hmm...where do we see that now?

Hence, they "resist or protest against this oppression" by developing coping mechanisms, such as a sense of superiority.

"When they perceive themselves as on the receiving end of snobbery or contempt from Singaporeans because of their unfashionable sense of dress or roughness of manners, they are equally quick to return snobbery and contempt by belittling Singapore and its culture," he reasoned.

in my experience singaporeans think they are sky people,and the rest of the world are la lower form of life....
Arrogant and proud they are...

When I was at NTU for a couple of years, in Hall, my roommate for a year was from the PRC. Some of those listed in the article posted by the OP are true, especially in the first few weeks/months when they get here. There are quiet a few reasons for this - language is a major one. Both Singaporean and PRC Chinese speak in Mandarin, but the accents are kinda different. Same applies for Singlish. We tend to lapse into Singlish alot more than anyone else though we are also perfectly capable of communication in English. There are slight variations in cuisine too. Most of those coming in from the PRC are from the Northern parts of China whereas the Singaporean Chinese culture is based more off the Cantonese/Hokkien groups found in the South.

Nevertheless, many PRC Chinese eventually integrate well into our society and contribute on many levels to Singapore. My personal experiences with them, my roommate, his circle of friends, and also the PRCs I have met at work ( actually they are everywhere. If you are in Singapore and you never met a single PRC on a day-to-day basis, you are lying for sure ) are very pleasant, hardworking individuals.

Like my compatriot said earlier, we need to give them time to integrate slowly and they will. No matter the differences, both PRC Chinese and Singaporeans view each other as brothers and we have strong cultural links too. If they can be successful people in a completely alien environment like Japan or even the West, they would certainly be successful here too.

When I was at NTU for a couple of years, in Hall, my roommate for a year was from the PRC. Some of those listed in the article posted by the OP are true, especially in the first few weeks/months when they get here. There are quiet a few reasons for this - language is a major one. Both Singaporean and PRC Chinese speak in Mandarin, but the accents are kinda different. Same applies for Singlish. We tend to lapse into Singlish alot more than anyone else though we are also perfectly capable of communication in English. There are slight variations in cuisine too. Most of those coming in from the PRC are from the Northern parts of China whereas the Singaporean Chinese culture is based more off the Cantonese/Hokkien groups found in the South.

Nevertheless, many PRC Chinese eventually integrate well into our society and contribute on many levels to Singapore. My personal experiences with them, my roommate, his circle of friends, and also the PRCs I have met at work ( actually they are everywhere. If you are in Singapore and you never met a single PRC on a day-to-day basis, you are lying for sure ) are very pleasant, hardworking individuals.

Like my compatriot said earlier, we need to give them time to integrate slowly and they will. No matter the differences, both PRC Chinese and Singaporeans view each other as brothers and we have strong cultural links too. If they can be successful people in a completely alien environment like Japan or even the West, they would certainly be successful here too.

buddy please :rofl:

your posts have no credibility. so dont bother

buddy please :rofl:

your posts have no credibility. so dont bother

The post is about PRC students and Singaporeans. What does it have anything to do with an Indian? The reply is directed at those who are directly involved, i.e. the PRCs and Singaporeans reading this thread. Not Indian trolls looking for juicy masala to feed their frail ego.

so you are a chinese studying at NTU....lol .....trying to create an impression that singaporeans hate Indians coz your singaporean and Indian colegues get along very well while they make fun of you......you poor thing ...i know how you must feel being made fun off......

your anger at not being treated well by singaporeans while they mingle with the Indians well is understandable.....

The post is about PRC students and Singaporeans. What does it have anything to do with an Indian? The reply is directed at those who are directly involved, i.e. the PRCs and Singaporeans reading this thread. Not Indian trolls looking for juicy masala to feed their frail ego.

see you are a PRC student aelianated by the singaporeans....lol

I thought Yang Peidong was a top ranked professor of chemistry and materials science at UC Berkeley?! This guy is so lucky to have the same name as someone famous!

Anyhow, I don't think we dress unfashionably. I know what unfashionable looks like, Arizona's it. This guy should speak for himself. Its a common complaint that our diaspora don't have deep thinking, but that might be selection bias; their ancestors were too busy trying to survive, so couldn't afford the time to think deeply on other problems, while back at home, we were forced to self evaluate and reflect deeply on our failures ever since 1900.

Articles like this unfortunately give us a bad image abroad. I hope the people in the PRC don't take articles like this at face value. We have a deep relationship between our countries and it should continue. After all, we share the same culture too.

Articles like this unfortunately give us a bad image abroad. I hope the people in the PRC don't take articles like this at face value. We have a deep relationship between our countries and it should continue. After all, we share the same culture too.
we know it deeply brother, we just repond to those infeiror complexity indian chearleaders

Its these little slips in your moments of frustrations that gives away your real identity, it happens to all false flaggers :wave:

Blood is thicker than water

One of the other reasons for frictions happen to be better performance of mainland Chinese in Singapore.

Singapore Opens Door To Chinese To Maintain Ethnic Balance

Although the Government of Singapore strives to
assist immigrants to integrate into society, many
Singaporeans grumble about the large number of mainland
Chinese now in Singapore, Dr. Yap said. Singaporeans often
get frustrated with the "unusual" attitudes and mannerisms of
the mainland Chinese, Dr. Yap said. Additionally, many
Singaporeans have been irritated to discover that a
significant percentage of the recent arrivals from mainland
China working in areas such as the service industry speak
little or no English, Dr. Yap added.

¶12. (C) On the other hand, some recent immigrants, Chinese
and Indian alike, are resented for increasing the already
overheated competition in Singapore's society and schools.
Many of the mainland Chinese students in Singapore become
leaders within their schools, in both academic and athletic
areas, Dr. Suryadinata said. He suggested that an area
requiring further study is how such "student leaders," with
very different cultural norms than Singaporeans eventually
adjust to life in Singapore. Will they go on to become
societal leaders, and if so, will they eventually present a
challenge to the system, he wondered.

Back
Top Bottom