What's new

Singapore Is Ready Anytime For Non-Chinese PM: Tharman Says S’poreans Today Look Beyond Race

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Singapore Is Ready Anytime For Non-Chinese PM: Tharman Says S’poreans Today Look Beyond Race​

By The Must Share News Team - 26 Aug 2023, 12:22 pm

MSN-Featured-36.png

Mr Tharman said Singaporeans today now look at candidates "in totality", beyond just race.

Tharman Says Singapore Is Ready Anytime For A Non-Chinese PM

In Singapore, where there’s a racial quota in politics, race may be a factor voters consider when making their choice. But they often have other considerations too.

At least that’s how presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam believes Singaporeans today are choosing their leaders.

The former Senior Minister feels that Singaporeans today look at political candidates “in totality”, beyond just their race.

At a town hall on Friday (25 Aug) as part of his election campaign, Mr Tharman went on stage in front of attendees at Pasir Panjang Power Station to take on both light-hearted questions and more serious ones.

One of the questions raised was, “How will we know when Singapore is ready for a non-Chinese PM?”

Mr Tharman’s response to this familiar question was surprisingly direct:

Singaporeans look at candidates ‘in totality’ beyond just race

Elaborating on his response, the former Deputy PM acknowledged that race is a factor everywhere in the world but is not the sole consideration.

Closer to home, Mr Tharman said Singaporeans today consider other factors compared to voters from 40 to 50 years ago.

Apart from race, he believes that they look at candidates “in totality”, including attributes like a candidate’s capabilities, courage, character, and contributions.

“Race might be always lurking [in the back of] people’s minds, but it’s not the only issue”, he said.

Ending his response, Mr Tharman said that if a “superior candidate” for the Prime Minister’s Office comes along, they can be made a PM. And that, in his view, is a hallmark of progress in a society.

I wonder when Singapore will have its new PM...... It is current Finance Minister that will be Singapore PM provided current party can still get strong support from the people.

Closer to home, Mr Tharman said Singaporeans today consider other factors compared to voters from 40 to 50 years ago.

Apart from race, he believes that they look at candidates “in totality”, including attributes like a candidate’s capabilities, courage, character, and contributions.

1694864330925.png

You sound like one, no Singaporeans I know of have the anti China sentiment like you show, My roommate in US is a Singaporean, I don't even feel like he is not from China,same language, same mentality, some topics, we even talked about the same stars and TV shows and movies.

You sound like one, no Singaporeans I know of have the anti China sentiment like you show, My roommate in US is a Singaporean, I don't even feel like he is not from China,same language, same mentality, some topics, we even talked about the same stars and TV shows and movies.

I'm not anti-China. You should go visit Singapore forums to see what's anti-China lol.

Stupid people still show their allegiance to Western neoliberalism.

I met singaporean and many of them do not like Chinese and the reason is because they are Chinese

They are ambitious, hard working and competitive like Chinese so they don't like competing with CHinese who work even harder and smarter

Ouch..that's quite the mandate by voters.

View attachment 954025

Race is really a non-factor here in this Presidential election. Tharman is far more qualified than the other 2 candidates. But foreign countries like to view it in race-tinted lenses lol.

India: OMG, an ethnic Indian got elected as the President in Singapore !!1!

China: Stupid Westernized Singaporeans got influenced by woke neoliberalism and just elected a non-Chinese.

Race is really a non-factor here in this Presidential election. Tharman is far more qualified than the other 2 candidates. But foreign countries like to view it in race-tinted lenses lol.

India: OMG, an ethnic Indian got elected as the President in Singapore !!1!

China: Stupid Westernized Singaporeans got influenced by woke neoliberalism and just elected a non-Chinese.

adjusted:
China: Stupid Race-traitor Westernized Singaporeans got influenced by woke neoliberalism and just elected a non-Chinese.

Singapore is 100 times more successful than China though, and probably the most successful country on earth
Singapore is 1/4 the size of Shanghai lol. Making a big country wealthy and making a small town/country wealthy are completely different things.

Indians are wealthier in America than whites but is India wealthier than America?

Not to even mention in ww2 Singapore was barely touched and had full Infrastructure built by British while China lost 30million people and all infrastructure destroyed by Japanese and also following civil war ROC retreated looting all treasures and money to Taiwan. Thats called Context and not low IQ jacking off on numbers.

China can make suburbs in Shanghai far richer than singapore overnight lol and it would be the size of Singapore population lmao comparing apples to oranges is a retards game

Funniest thing of all, Singapore is a one party dictatorship where criticism of Lee Kwan Yieu among other topics is a criminal offense requiring jail time lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom