What's new

Strategic Reset: Pakistan-Russia Ties step up

Asian.Century

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Policy Reset: Pakistan-Russia relationship got a Reset

First Russian Defence Minister's visit to Pakistan in four decades is a right step in realigning Pakistan's foreign policy in military partnership and focus shall be on broadening it into wider economic and social ties as well. It's imperative for both countries to enhance and improve bilateral terms.

Lately Pakistan's nuclear arch rival's (India) military trade and investment is clearly tilting towards the US and that is making former's biggest historic arm's exporter uncomfortable. Russia in the last few decades has provided for 75 percent of Indian's military hardware needs. Lately, USA has increased its military relationship with India as in 2014 India bought $1.9 billion worth of weapons to become the largest military hardware importer from America. Concurrently, the US is exiting from Afghanistan and post 9-11 utmost important Af-Pak strategic ties are losing its steam.

The transition to the new era is largely depending upon how the newly formed democracy nourish in Afghanistan. Only time will tell how new PM Abdullah Abdullah will reshape the country and how this regime would be different from weak Karzai's government. The new PM appears to build Afghanistan's relationship with all the important countries in the region including Pakistan, India, China and Russia; and also he is eyeing to be at peace with Taliban at home.

Nonetheless, the shift of American focus in the region from Pakistan to India is a wakening call for our foreign office to also look at east to diversify its trade and investment. The efforts are visible as on the economic front, all of the Pakistan's public and private sectors are eyeing on China and the latter is committing to invest and lend $35-45 billion in coming 5-7 years.

But China is far behind on military technology than of US and European countries, and none other than Russia has compatible military hardware and advanced technology. Hence, it's a right move to look at Russia for some military imports. However, there is no need to be overexcited on the deal of buying twenty MI-35 helicopters from Russia on two grounds. First the purchasing is done on cash and anyone around is willing to sell anything on cash. Secondly, MI-35 helicopters are no way close to F-16 and other hardware Pakistan got from the US packaged in aid and trade.

Interestingly at the time when Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoygu was meeting Pakistan political leadership and signing defence pact, Pakistan top military leader Raheel Sharif was in Washington and assuring US leadership that Pakistan military is not discriminating in efforts of eradication of militants from the region. It's a good sign - Pakistan is deliberating to keep its strategic position in fighting terrorism that is inflicting both Pakistan and Afghanistan at the time when US and Nato forces are exiting. Concurrently, it is diversifying relationship in the East by opening ties with Russia.

The need is to expand it further. The efforts had already been made by the previous government when the Russian premier Putin was scheduled to visit Pakistan in 2012, however, it did not materialise and now this government should retry to engage more with Russia on economic front. The ground breaking deal could have been materialised in 2006 (Musharraf's era) when a Russian company offered a controlling stake of 40 percent in a consortium in buying Pakistan Steel Mills. The deal was anchored by the then prime minister Shaukat Aziz; but Supreme Court came to his way and Russians were angry for the deal not materialising.

PSM has deteriorated further in last eight years and is of constant drain to the tight fiscal position of the government and the privatisation commission shall restart its efforts with Russians to help in bailing it out. It is pertinent to note that, it was Russians, prior to the cold war, who built the Pakistan Steel Mill and Oil and Gas Development Company, and any rebuilding of relationship shall revive good old days of industrial partnership.

Additionally, Russia can be of great help in resolving energy woes at home. PM house has stated that it has invited Russian companies to come and invest in Pakistan energy sector to take advantage of business friendly policies. The half a billion trade between the countries is deemed to be too little from its potential. Pakistan shall seek Russian support in building energy infrastructure and importing gas from Russia.

With Ukraine crises the EU is swaying away from buying Russian gas and at the same time, America is in offing of cheaper Shale gas to EU countries having free trade agreements with the US. In a nutshell, Russia ought to look south and east for oil and gas buyers and Pakistan is in dire need to import gas.

Gazprom (a Russian based one of largest natural gas company) can help Pakistan in meeting its energy shortfall and in connecting with central Asia and it can be instrumental in developing Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline. But it all has to pass through Afghanistan and it would not be possible without eradication of extremist elements from probably world's toughest terrain. Let's hope the newly-formed government in Afghanistan amidst US external forces departure will pave way for connecting central Asia to Pakistan and more reasons for us to build relationship with Russia.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2014

The policy reset: Pakistan-Russia relationship | Business Recorder

Snapshot of the potential Pakistan - Russian relationship.

Pakistan has signed a milestone defense pact with Russian federation which may entail the following.

* Acquisition of Mi-35 Hind-E assault helicopters for SSG's Special Operations Task Force.

* Joint Counterterrorism training of Special Ops units

* Joint Air Force training

* Pakistan will participate in Russian tank warfare competition

* Russia will be allowed to have regular port calls and dockings at Pakistani ports

* Russia has elevated Pakistan from category D to B for arms sales.

* Smooth supply of RD-93 turbofan engines and its upgraded MA variants for JF-17 Thunder aircrafts.

* Pakistan has just established an upgrade and overhaul facility for its Mi-17 helis, which Russians will help with.

* Both states have agreed to work together in Afghanistan to make sure another civil war doesn't take place

* On economic side, Russia is interested in building a gas pipeline from Nawabshah city of Sindh to Gwadar in Balochistan which will be connected with Iran when the sanctions on Iran are lifted.

* Russia is also interested in rebuilding Pakistan's steel mills, helping with Railways and in building the Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India gas pipeline.

* Russia will also invest in Pakistan's oil and gas exploration sector which is seeing increased activity.

* Increase in bilateral trade which currently stands at just $542 million.

Is there more information on this Category D To Category B enhancement , what new weapons and systems are accessible under this category

According to news Russia is will brief our guys on MI 28 and Air Defence systems
You will get all,only condition is it should not effect India and used against India or say India should have something much much better than what you get.
Air defence systems,i dont think so

You will get all,only condition is it should not effect India and used against India or say India should have something much much better than what you get.
Air defence systems,i dont think so

And India can dictate terms to Russia. If Russia can make India pay for half of PAKFA development while give zilch in return. what make India think that it has any influence over Russia arms export? First, get Russia to allow Indians to get within 50 feet of PAKFA after India pay for part of development before trying to have any policy or weapon sales influence.

And India can dictate terms to Russia. If Russia can make India pay for half of PAKFA development while give zilch in return. what make India think that it has any influence over Russia arms export? First, get Russia to allow Indians to get within 50 feet of PAKFA after India pay for part of development before trying to have any policy or weapon sales influence.
You dont have to complicate things,forget the partnership between India and Russia.it dosent even make business sence.

One who has been following events closely for last 3-4 years will know ,cooperation between Russia and Pakistan was on the cards in Afganistan.even the MI 35 is in that direction.
Only thing is some Indian and Pakistani members are reading too much into it.

And dont worry about PAKFA ,it will be resolved hopefully when Putin comes to India,lets wait till then.

Is there more information on this Category D To Category B enhancement , what new weapons and systems are accessible under this category

Its not the equipment that you can get, its the priority they give you. India and some ME countries have priority A, and there is weight towards $$$ spend of course. If Pakistan buys a Billion $ worth of weapons, I am sure they'll elevate the category to A.

Air defence systems, I dont think so

I don't think you are understanding the strategic shift the Russians are making....Russians don't imply anything with regards to "this shouldn't be used in so and so situation", even the US doesn't.

The ONLY restriction the US puts is for certain advanced weapon systems is for them to NOT to be used in an OFFENSIVE role against another ally / friend. In other words, the -16 block 52 have a term that those shouldn't be use to attack India as an offense.
But in a war, those can be used for their related defensive purposes all day and night long. PAF's doctrine is not to use these planes for offense and instead use standoff munitions and missiles. So it works out well for everyone.

The Russians are the other way around, similar to the French. They don't care who their weapons are used against. If they were SO concerned with India'; and for their tech to not be used against India, RD-93 would have never made its way to Pakistan.

Also, believe it or not, Pakistan is about to buy a few batteries of Russian AD missiles. In fact, two-three Russian AD systems manufacturer are planning a visit to Pakistan and want to show case and demo their products in IDF-2014. That way, the Pak military can do extensive evaluations on different Hi-Lo systems.

If Pakistan's current government can finish their term and associated strategic projects on time, in the next 3-5 years, Pakistan will have the $$ to buy anything it wants to and it'll have a place and name in the World of its own. People won't look at Pakistan before looking at India, it'll be lets maintain relations with both as Pakistan will present a huge new investment opportunity, probably more fruitful than India at this time as the Indian market is getting saturated, with internal competition and the middle class has already gone up a lot in the past 15 years.

I don't think you are understanding the strategic shift the Russians are making....Russians don't imply anything with regards to "this shouldn't be used in so and so situation", even the US doesn't.

The ONLY restriction the US puts is for certain advanced weapon systems is for them to NOT to be used in an OFFENSIVE role against another ally / friend. In other words, the -16 block 52 have a term that those shouldn't be use to attack India as an offense.
But in a war, those can be used for their related defensive purposes all day and night long. PAF's doctrine is not to use these planes for offense and instead use standoff munitions and missiles. So it works out well for everyone.

The Russians are the other way around, similar to the French. They don't care who their weapons are used against. If they were SO concerned with India'; and for their tech to not be used against India, RD-93 would have never made its way to Pakistan.

Also, believe it or not, Pakistan is about to buy a few batteries of Russian AD missiles. In fact, two-three Russian AD systems manufacturer are planning a visit to Pakistan and want to show case and demo their products in IDF-2014. That way, the Pak military can do extensive evaluations on different Hi-Lo systems.

If Pakistan's current government can finish their term and associated strategic projects on time, in the next 3-5 years, Pakistan will have the $$ to buy anything it wants to and it'll have a place and name in the World of its own. People won't look at Pakistan before looking at India, it'll be lets maintain relations with both as Pakistan will present a huge new investment opportunity, probably more fruitful than India at this time as the Indian market is getting saturated, with internal competition and the middle class has already gone up a lot in the past 15 years.
Wake me up when you get some thing and changes shomething on the groud.

I think it'll be a pretty rude awakening, but you sure will be surprised. Some people remain in denial. Can't ever treat that.
i bet you this:lol::lol:you will get no air defense System from Russia.Bookmark my post comeback after 5 years.your generals were lined up in Moscow for 7 years just to push 20 odd helos deal:azn::azn:wonder how many decades it will take to push SAMs:enjoy::enjoy:

i bet you this:lol::lol:you will get no air defense System from Russia.Bookmark my post comeback after 5 years.your generals were lined up in Moscow for 7 years just to push 20 odd helos deal:azn::azn:wonder how many decades it will take to push SAMs:enjoy::enjoy:

So anyone who speaks in the interest of Pakistan, becomes a Pakistani. You and your other friends keep calling me that. I don't have to wait for shit. We, the US military has a LOT more than what the world knows about and no one can counter us. However, back to Pakistan, India and Russia, I can assure you, an AD system is in discussions and it won't take more than a year or two to materialize. YOU can mark today's date and keep coming to this forum. You'll remember my post one day.

So anyone who speaks in the interest of Pakistan, becomes a Pakistani. You and your other friends keep calling me that. I don't have to wait for shit. We, the US military has a LOT more than what the world knows about and no one can counter us. However, back to Pakistan, India and Russia, I can assure you, an AD system is in discussions and it won't take more than a year or two to materialize. YOU can mark today's date and keep coming to this forum. You'll remember my post one day.
I Assure that AD system are direct threat to india Strategic Interest and doctrine . it will have huge Counter Implications Russian know that billions dollars are on the Stake and 60 year old Diplomatic relations for them only fool with no Business Sense can do such diplomatic blunder.Russian Always choose Indian stance kindly go through how many veto,s they used in UN Security council for Indian Interest Even for Kashmir Cause Same goes for India.

Back
Top Bottom