What's new

Story of Parya language

There is an Indo-Aryan language called Parya spoken in small pockets of Central Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parya_language

How it got there? there's not much on the internet about it's origin.

@Juggernaut_Flat_Plane_V8 @Nilgiri @Joe Shearer

It isn't particularly surprising.

There is a record of very large numbers of people speaking the dialects spoken in Rajasthan and the Punjab being taken as prisoners through the Hindu Killer mountains, the Hindu Kush. These settled in the first instance in Persia and its nearby areas, and that was the base for their further movement onwards. Many of them landed up in Egypt, and from there, they went to Italy, across the Mediterranean, and hence were known as gypsies. From there, they spread all over Europe, and were among the most horribly treated communities in Europe: Hitler killed more Roma, proportionate to their total numbers, than Jews, but that is not something that Europeans care to remember.

If you understand Rajasthani dialects or the neighbouring Haryanvi dialects, you can with a little difficulty understand and speak some Roma dialects.

In Hungary, I was shopping around for music, and heard a disc made by a gypsy band. It was marvellous, and I bought it. I asked for the name of the group and was told it was Kalij Jag. And what did it mean? Black Fire - Kali Aag.

Their tribal chief is the Rai, his wife, the chieftainess, is the Rani, and so on. If you meet them in Hungary - I haven't been to Romania, thank Heavens - and if you see somebody looking like a Khanna or a Kapoor walking along, you have met a Roma. Black hair, sallow, pale features, incredible musicians.....down in Spain, they dance dances such as the flamenco, something that Bollywood has re-discovered.

Parya is a caste in south India, but they speak variations of the local language, not a Rajasthani/ Haryanvi dialect. In central India, the equivalent (not of the Parya) of the entertaining and wandering caste is the Lambada. We have large numbers of Lambada in Telangana, especially in Warangal. While they speak fluent Telugu while going about in daily life, among themselves they speak a variant of - wait for it! - a dialect close to Rajasthani or Haryanvi. The language being known as Marwari in Central Asia is not surprising.

It isn't particularly surprising.

There is a record of very large numbers of people speaking the dialects spoken in Rajasthan and the Punjab being taken as prisoners through the Hindu Killer mountains, the Hindu Kush. These settled in the first instance in Persia and its nearby areas, and that was the base for their further movement onwards. Many of them landed up in Egypt, and from there, they went to Italy, across the Mediterranean, and hence were known as gypsies. From there, they spread all over Europe, and were among the most horribly treated communities in Europe: Hitler killed more Roma, proportionate to their total numbers, than Jews, but that is not something that Europeans care to remember.

If you understand Rajasthani dialects or the neighbouring Haryanvi dialects, you can with a little difficulty understand and speak some Roma dialects.

In Hungary, I was shopping around for music, and heard a disc made by a gypsy band. It was marvellous, and I bought it. I asked for the name of the group and was told it was Kalij Jag. And what did it mean? Black Fire - Kali Aag.

Their tribal chief is the Rai, his wife, the chieftainess, is the Rani, and so on. If you meet them in Hungary - I haven't been to Romania, thank Heavens - and if you see somebody looking like a Khanna or a Kapoor walking along, you have met a Roma. Black hair, sallow, pale features, incredible musicians.....down in Spain, they dance dances such as the flamenco, something that Bollywood has re-discovered.

Parya is a caste in south India, but they speak variations of the local language, not a Rajasthani/ Haryanvi dialect. In central India, the equivalent (not of the Parya) of the entertaining and wandering caste is the Lambada. We have large numbers of Lambada in Telangana, especially in Warangal. While they speak fluent Telugu while going about in daily life, among themselves they speak a variant of - wait for it! - a dialect close to Rajasthani or Haryanvi. The language being known as Marwari in Central Asia is not surprising.
I know about Roma/Gypsy but these guys are settled rice farmers, their back story would be interesting.

I know about Roma/Gypsy but these guys are settled rice farmers, their back story would be interesting.

Not difficult to imagine that a section of the imprisoned thousands broke away from their entertainment trades and took to agriculture.

However, the original Paryas in south India were agriculture oriented. How to fit them into the prisoner-transportation origin story is more difficult. There is no corresponding story to account for the transportation of a community from the deep south to central Asia, as there was for the entertainer community from western India.

As
There is an Indo-Aryan language called Parya spoken in small pockets of Central Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parya_language

How it got there? there's not much on the internet about it's origin.

@Juggernaut_Flat_Plane_V8 @Nilgiri @Joe Shearer
As far as I read prior to mass extinction by the turkic and mongol invaders the stepped was populated by people whom you can call Aryans , however subsequent invasion resulted in extinction and assimilation but still some pockets of population hidden behind the destruction who were the reminiscent of that ancient population.

Not difficult to imagine that a section of the imprisoned thousands broke away from their entertainment trades and took to agriculture.

However, the original Paryas in south India were agriculture oriented. How to fit them into the prisoner-transportation origin story is more difficult. There is no corresponding story to account for the transportation of a community from the deep south to central Asia, as there was for the entertainer community from western India.
But they speak a language closer to Hindi, I guess they were North Indians from artisan castes who were captured and took to the Central Asia for their skills in weaving, pottery and other artisan skills.
Their name must be etymologically different from the South Indian Paryas.
As far as I read prior to mass extinction by the turkic and mongol invaders the stepped was populated by people whom you can call Aryans , however subsequent invasion resulted in extinction and assimilation but still some pockets of population hidden behind the destruction who were the reminiscent of that ancient population.
They speak Central Indo-Aryan, which evolved in India, so they were transported from here to there.

But they speak a language closer to Hindi, I guess they were North Indians from artisan castes who were captured and took to the Central Asia for their skills in weaving, pottery and other artisan skills.

Indeed.

So we are back where we started.

They speak Central Indo-Aryan, which evolved in India, so they were transported from here to there.

They may be cause of slavery and all otherwise.

This is a good find...will research more...My money on this being a late Buddhist era supplant there..like 8th century or 9 th century..before the rise of the Samanids..the Silk Road/Silk Route was high way for Indian Buddhism

Back
Top Bottom