What's new

Stories about disappearance of Buddhism in India are grossly exaggerated

Coming back to the article, India should do more for Buddhism tourism in India. Countries in the word should associate Buddhism with India instead of China/Japan/Thailand, etc. Plenty of monuments in India which tourists can flock to.
It begs the question how much of the tourist go to China/Japan/Thailand for Buddhism? What percentage of total tourism? If miniscule, I call that stupid investment, better create a civilized society and infrastructure like China/Japan/Thailand. Meiji restoration/Japanese economic miracle came first, Zen came later. World salutes the rising sun!
Japanese Zen | Zen in the Western world - Wikipedia

You have an ID called sainthood...it seems you are into philosophy...have you read upanishads? Advaita vedanta? You read books of jiddu krishnamurti? Or osho? ..have you heard of UG krishnamurti ?
Buddhist philosophy has had a deep influence on upanishadic philosophy and advaita..it also has influence on great thinkers like adi shankaracharya, j.krishnamurti , Alan Watts, UG krishnamurti etc...buddhism and hinduism are the only religions( some branches) that talk about the concepts of mind, duality, non duality, consciousness, the presence or absence of soul outside this body.

Please disregard all those listed people and works and read The Communist Manifesto ( Marx and Engels ) and the Green Book ( Gaddafi ). True philosophy that is actually useful to humanity.

@-=virus=- mian, don't make me say "Hum bolega toh bolega ke bolta hai". :D

Add to that scholars like Adi Sankara who debated and defeated the sramana saints who then ended up being followers of Sankara became the last straw that broke Buddhism in India.

What a load of bullcrap. The Shungas and Senas beat the shit out of Buddhists, burnt their libraries multiple times, and massacred all monks. That don't sound like peaceful conversion to me.

What a load of bullcrap. The Shungas and Senas beat the shit out of Buddhists, burnt their libraries multiple times, and massacred all monks. That don't sound like peaceful conversion to me.
Back from slumber to show off your ignorance. At least you are consistent. Adi Sankara lived in around 700AD, Shungas and Senas were at least a thousand year apart and neither of them existed during Adi sankara. By the time Senas gained prominence Buddhism has already declined to few schools. Buddhism expanded far South all the way to Ceylon. Senas were a North Eastern kingdom.

Buddhism had peaked twice in this subcontinent during Magadhas next during Guptas. Anyone who would take a half assed attempt at reading history would know it.

If you ever try to register for Vipassana in India you would be waitlisted for atleast 3 months..
Number of people worldwide actively practicing Vipassana, Zen, Nath sampraday is huge.. even though officially these people are Christians, Muslims or Hindu etc on paper.. these guys don't really care about their identity obviously.. they are Hakuna Matata wherever they are living life to the fullest..

If you ever try to register for Vipassana in India you would be waitlisted for atleast 3 months..
Number of people worldwide actively practicing Vipassana, Zen, Nath sampraday is huge.. even though officially these people are Christians, Muslims or Hindu etc on paper.. these guys don't really care about their identity obviously.. they are Hakuna Matata wherever they are living life to the fullest..
I've bumped into Iranians at vippasana courses... believe me ?

I've bumped into Iranians at vippasana courses... believe me ?

This vipassana thing seems to be some crook "Sadhguru" type distributing meditation "wisdom" to gullible people. If you truly want to bring harmony into your homes and the society you live in, enable your society to be comfortable for cats. Care for cats as you would for your children and then see the change in your lives.

Back from slumber to show off your ignorance. At least you are consistent. Adi Sankara lived in around 700AD, Shungas and Senas were at least a thousand year apart and neither of them existed during Adi sankara. By the time Senas gained prominence Buddhism has already declined to few schools. Buddhism expanded far South all the way to Ceylon. Senas were a North Eastern kingdom.

Buddhism had peaked twice in this subcontinent during Magadhas next during Guptas. Anyone who would take a half assed attempt at reading history would know it.
I believe by sanghi, s na he meant Hindu elites/kings/ priests

not really the actual organizations per se- I thaught it was pretty self explanatory in which context was he talking in

Last edited:
By the time Senas .. Buddhism has already declined to few schools.

Depends on the region. Before Senas, Bengal was one of the last Buddhist holdouts in the continent. Severe persecution under Senas led to Bengalis embracing the Turkic saviors with open arms. The Hindu oppressors were given quite the shafting.
Buddhism had peaked twice in this subcontinent during Magadhas next during Guptas.

You mean Mauryans and Palas, not Magadhas and Guptas, stupid.

Depends on the region. Before Senas, Bengal was one of the last Buddhist holdouts in the continent. Severe persecution under Senas led to Bengalis embracing the Turkic saviors with open arms. The Hindu oppressors were given quite the shafting.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about some state which lost it's Buddhists due to some evil king. I'm talking about the entire subcontinent which had significant Buddhists pop.
Gotcha, where do you think Mauryans ruled from Maryland? 🤣 That's why I said anyone with a half brain would know Buddhism declined post Gupta era.

Now Palas were themselves Buddhist but they ruled a country that was heavily dominated by Hindu Brahmins in positions of power and tiny states under Hindu chiefs so much that the entire Vajrayana school of Buddhism comes from adoption of Tantric Hinduism during Pala era. And it never gained foothold in it's place of origin, but beyond our borders.

I reiterate Buddhism started declining in India post Gupta period, Adi Sankara sealed it's fate.

We are talking pan India fyi

Gotcha, where do you think Mauryans ruled from Maryland? 🤣 That's why I said anyone with a half brain would know Buddhism declined post Gupta era.

Don't be stupid. You don't call the Mughals Ferghanas or Agras do you?

Now Palas were themselves Buddhist but they ruled a country that was heavily dominated by Hindu Brahmins ..

How Palas ruled is besides the point. You said Buddhism 'peaked twice' in the subcontinent. Why did you skip Palas and mention Guptas? Quite obviously you are not interested in the truth.

Don't be stupid. You don't call the Mughals Ferghanas or Agras do you?
Stop clutching at straws. Catch a drift from what I meant by Magadha, as if I didn't know about Ashoka.
How Palas ruled is besides the point. You said Buddhism 'peaked twice' in the subcontinent. Why did you skip Palas and mention Guptas? Quite obviously you are not interested in the truth.
Haha then what are yammering about? Palas themselves being Buddhist was inconsequential to Buddhism in India which btw is the whole thread about. It peaked twice, and despite being Hindu Gupta empire was the time when both Buddhist and Jain religions flourished throughout the subcontinent. I'm not simply talking about Bengal which for some reason you are attributing to the entire subcontinent.
Buddhism was major religion from Ashoka until the Guptas, Gupta period was particularly important because most revered statues of Buddha came from that period, be it from Gandhara, or far South of India they created the Nalanda University most famous Buddhist vihara.

Palas mostly did nothing or couldn't do anything that promoted Buddhism in India.
He was too late probably why he tried to appeal to others by incooperating Hinduism onto Buddhism (just a theory).

I skip Palas because history says Buddhism started declining post Gupta period around 300 years before Palas from the subcontinent due to invasions and only those who fought survived.

Any reason you dislike philosophy man? It atleast means that a person is using his own brain, trying to form his own opinion about things.
Regardless, philosophy also says that you are free to have your own opinion😜

Mankind has an innate ability to distinguish right from the wrong. we may call it Fitrah/natural common sense but , the answer about the purpose of existence always comes from the outside .

This vipassana thing seems to be some crook "Sadhguru" type distributing meditation "wisdom" to gullible people. If you truly want to bring harmony into your homes and the society you live in, enable your society to be comfortable for cats. Care for cats as you would for your children and then see the change in your lives.
You love cats ? I love them too .
This is a lazy cat , under a banyan tree .
He hangs out near fish mongers
IMG_20200202_133205.jpg

Yet bengal remains one of the largest holdouts for shakta traditions today.
So much for the shafting given by turkic invaders.

Genius , who destroyed Nalanda ?He was a Turkic bhaktiayr khilji , again so much for Hindus being oppressors Buddhists .
Nalanda was built by Kumargupt , an hindu emperor.
Not by your Turkic saviors

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom