What's new

Stephen Sutton's legacy: donations to JustGiving page reach £3.5m a day after his death

danish_vij

Reaction score
Country
India
'Stephen held his mother's hand as he slipped away': Last moments of brave cancer victim Stephen Sutton revealed as £4m is raised in his memory

• Stephen died yesterday after a four-year battle with bowel cancer
  • 19-year-old raised millions for the Teenage Cancer Trust before his death
  • Surge of donations saw amount on his Just Giving page soar to £3.6million reaching more than £4million when Gift Aid is added to the total
  • He was supported by celebrities including Russell Brand, Piers Morgan, Sir Chris Hoy and Alan Davies - he also received a visit from David Cameron
  • The Prime Minister led the tributes, praising his 'spirit and bravery'
  • Comedian Jason Manford, who championed Stephen's cause, said: 'He was an incredibly positive man and a credit to humanity itself'
  • News of his Stephen's death has reached four corners of the globe
  • Stephen was diagnosed with the disease when he was just 15 years old
  • You can donate £5 in the youngster's honour by texting 'Stephen' to 70500
article-2629187-1DD4452600000578-765_306x423.jpg

Stephen Sutton, 19, who raised more than £3million for charity, has died after a four-year battle with bowel cancer

Stephen Sutton's mother held her son's hand as he slipped away, having inspired millions to raise money to fight the disease that claimed his life.

One of the 19-year-old's best friend James Andrews today said Stephen drew great strength from his family, whom he loved deeply.

The teenager's 'inspirational' legacy has seen donations to the Teenage Cancer Trust soar, surpassing the £4million mark within 24 hours of his death.

Nearly 160,000 people have donated via Stephen's Just Giving page, with a surge in the day since his mother Jane announced he had lots his fight with bowel cancer yesterday.

Friends, classmates and complete strangers today paid their tributes to the fundraising teenager, with chalk messages being left across Birmingham and a floral carpet dedicated to Stephen emerging at his former school in Burntwood, Staffordshire.

Today best friend James, who is also 19, paid tribute to his classmate, who he credits with introducing him to his girlfriend Jessica Beedle.

James met Jessica, 17, at a birthday party Stephen threw after he found out he was terminally ill.

She was being treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma on the same Teenage Cancer Trust ward as Stephen, and the pair struck up a friendship.

James told of his heartache at losing Stephen, adding that his 'incredible fundraising efforts' must go on.

The Birmingham City University student, said: 'I texted his mum asking about him because I hadn’t heard from him in two days and she told me and it was quite a shock.

'She said he was holding her hand while he went. It’s sad she will bury him. She loved him. I know for a fact that Stephen got his strength from his family.'
James and Stephen became friends in Year Nine at Chase Terrace Technology College in Burntwood.

The teenager said his friend's diagnosis came as a 'huge shock'.

He said: 'He was a straight A* student. When he was in hospital all he did was revise. He wanted to be a doctor. He always thought ahead.

'We never wanted to speak about the cancer. We spoke as friends, things like what we were doing next in the week.'

James last saw his friend last Thursday when they took part in a local pub quiz together.

Days later Stephen was readmitted to hospital.

article-2628081-1D862E4300000578-909_634x616.jpg

One of Stephen's best friends, James Andrews, said the 19-year-old held his mother's hand as he slipped away, losing his fight with bowel cancer on Wednesday
article-2629187-1DDFB32700000578-708_634x652.jpg

James Andrews, second left, said it was thanks to his best friend Stephen, right, that he met girlfriend Jessica Beedle, left. Jessica was treated on the same Teenage Cancer Trust ward as Stephen when she was being treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma

'We had a conversation because no-one wanted to talk about the cancer. We were best friends,' said James.

'I liked his inspiring nature. When I was going through my A Levels and finishing my first year his motivation to carry on pushed me.

'He helped my girlfriend Jessica through her cancer. They were treated on the same ward together.

She had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Stephen really helped her through it.

'She was in the same Teenage Cancer Trust ward when they met each other.

'I met Jessica through Stephen and that’s another connection.

'I will miss having my friend around. I didn’t see Stephen as that big figure, I saw him as being around, having a beer at the bar and driving him home and sharing any experiences we had.'

He added: 'This is only the start of his amazing fundraising.

'From a small town boy for his work to go global - that just shows how inspiring and motivational he is.

'Now the Teenage Cancer Trust is going to get bigger. There's going to be so much money raised.

'My last thought of him is with a big smile.'

News of Stephen's death reached the four corners of the globe, with coverage of Stephen's Story trending on Twitter and being featured in Australia, the U.S., France and other countries across the world.

Celebrities, politicians, friends, neighbours and classmates have paid tribute, with a blanket of flowers and messages covering an area outside his former school.

One tribute left at Chase Technology College in Burntwood, Staffordshire, today read: 'Stephen Sutton, a light that will always shine in our hearts, R.I.P.'

Stephen, 19, succumbed to bowel cancer in the early hours of yesterday morning, three days after being readmitted to hospital.

In the months before his death he won the hearts of millions, inspiring people across the world and raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

As news of his death broke yesterday the total raised on his Just Giving page stood at £3.2millon.

That figure has now passed £3.6million - an increase of £400,000 - which, with Gift Aid added takes donations in Stephen's memory past the £4million mark.

article-2629187-1DDFB33100000578-337_306x423.jpg

article-2629187-1DDF7C6800000578-260_634x422.jpg
Chalk tributes to the 19-year-old emerged in Victoria Square, Birmingham today

article-2629187-1DDF7C6F00000578-994_634x422.jpg

Among the messages left in memory of the fundraising teenager were some of Stephen's own inspiring words: 'I don't see the point in measuring life in terms of time anymore. I'd rather measure life in terms of making a difference'

for more of picures visit @http://Stephen Sutton's Just Giving donations hit £4m in honour of 'inspirational' teen | Mail Online
other links
Stephen Sutton's legacy: donations to JustGiving page reach £3.5m a day after his death - People - News - The Independent
Stephen Sutton's Story: Tragic teenage cancer sufferer held his mother's hand as he died - Mirror Online
Stephen Sutton, inspirational cancer charity fundraiser, dies in his sleep | UK news | theguardian.com
salute this boy......an example to humanity.....reading this dont know why but i feel a little ashamed what i have been doing all my life and what he did at age of 19
@BDforever @SpArK @Chak Bamu @chak de INDIA @levina @Spring Onion @Abingdonboy @nair @Chinese-Dragon @karan21 @Ayush @others...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom