What's new

Sri Lanka opens $292 million Chinese-funded airport highway

Hafizzz

Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-srilanka-china-highway-20131027,0,2543375.story

COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lanka opened a $292 million Chinese-funded airport highway on Sunday, amid Indian concern about Chinese influence as the island nation rebuilds after a nearly three-decade war.

Sri Lanka has invested heavily in infrastructure since the war ended in 2009 with defeat for separatist Tamil Tiger rebels.

The new 25.6 km (16 mile) airport highway was built with a loan of $248.2 million from Exim Bank of China, with China Metallurgical Group Corporation as the contractor .

China provided weapons to Sri Lanka in the final phase of the civil war and President Mahinda Rajapaksa's government has awarded more than $4 billion worth of infrastructure projects to China, mainly with Chinese loans.

India, Sri Lanka's giant neighbor, shared intelligence with Colombo late in the war, but has also asked Rajapaksa to seek a political solution to the conflict's root causes.

Rajapaksa's government has come under heavy pressure from the West and human rights groups for alleged war crimes.

The Sri Lankan president, responding to Indian concerns over Chinese commercial deals, has said the relationship with China is more commercial than political in nature.

Sri Lanka has planned over $6 billion worth of projects, including airports and sea ports, highways, coal and hydro power plants and railways, mainly to be funded by Chinese loans.

z_p-120-Photo-03.jpg

z_p-120-Photo-01.jpg

10496753105_ca46891474_h.jpg

Sri Lanka don't have this fear of China so they let Chinese company in and build their infrastructure.. With the Chinese the Sri Lankan are able to develop their infrastructure at an economically friendly cost...
The Indian however have look pass the China saving and gone strait to paying billions more on project develop by the Western country or Korean/ Japan.. Its like when you have a budget for a Kia but went out an buy a Mercedes, lol you are going to have budget issue... Hence the Indian huge budget deficit.

I wonder why always name of India come in these threads of Sri Lanka??is it for trolling purpose only??cause Sri Lankas prefer India over China and USA,as showed in the past.we don't have any grudges.

while Sri Lanka gets infra projects from India,we builds hospitals,education centers,health projects,police training,Thermal power projects, and others. :rolleyes:

don't forget,we too have invested heavily and one of the main source of aid.

I wonder why always name of India come in these threads of Sri Lanka??is it for trolling purpose only??cause Sri Lankas prefer India over China and USA,as showed in the past.we don't have any grudges.

while Sri Lanka gets infra projects from India,we builds hospitals,education centers,health projects,police training,Thermal power projects, and others. :rolleyes:

don't forget,we too have invested heavily and one of the main source of aid.

India is involved in one railway project only, recent railway projects had given to China. Mono rail project may goes to Japan, China or Malaysia. Apart from that major Indian project is Coal power plant but it still haven't started yet. Health sector projects mostly done by Japan, Education mainly develop with EU countries. Road development China, Malaysia, Japan. Sri Lanka is giving projects to according to their capabilities and quality.

India is involved in one railway project only, recent railway projects had given to China. Mono rail project may goes to Japan, China or Malaysia. Apart from that major Indian project is Coal power plant but it still haven't started yet. Health sector projects mostly done by Japan, Education mainly develop with EU countries. Road development China, Malaysia, Japan. Sri Lanka is giving projects to according to their capabilities and quality.

you missed housing projects,in which India will build/repair 50000 houses for displaced tamils...

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=13494

apart from that,unity infra won projects worth 1500 crore...

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=12755

Indian Railway signed USD149 million contract for reconstruction project

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=12982

apart from that,Ircon is also executing other rail projects in Sri Lanka, including of restoration of 106 km-long Medawachchiya-Talaimannar section, 90 km-long Omanthai-Pallai section and supply and installation of signaling and telecommunication system on the entire railway network in the Northern Province.

creation of handcrafts village worth 20 million...
Fishnet Factory in Jaffna at a cost of Rs. 166 million and the project to revive the Industrial Estate at Atchchuvely in Jaffna, at a cost of Rs. 220 million
http://www.colombopage.com/archive_13B/Oct23_1382547133CH.php

MoU between India and Sri Lanka for small development projects upto SLR 300 million,

rehabilitation of the Northern Railway lines under a concessional Line of Credit of US $ 800 million

wreck-removal and rehabilitation of the KKS Harbour

establishment of Vocational Training Centres

construction of a Cultural Centre at Jaffna

restoration of Tirukatheeswaran temple

establishing an Agricultural Research Institute in Northern Province

expanding the scholarship program for Sri Lankan students to pursue their higher studies in India

setting up of Centers of English Language Training in each Province of Sri Lanka

providing technical assistance for the National Action Plan for a Trilingual Sri Lanka

restore rail connectivity between Medawachchiya and KKS

help to repair and renovate 79 war-damaged schools in Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu and Vavuniya and the project for setting up a Faculty of Agriculture and a Faculty of Engineering at the Kilinochchi Campus of the Jaffna University at a cost of SLR 600 million.

the tripling by India of scholarship assistance for Sri Lanka, amounting to SLR 2.5 billion over the next 3 years. India’s assistance also included computers and related hardware to over 400 schools in the Eastern Province and the setting up of vocational training centres in Batticaloa and Nuwara Eliya.

the construction of a 200-bed ward complex for the District Hospital in Vavuniya.

set up and equip the Siddha Faculty at the Eastern University in Trincomalee.

The 150-bed base hospital project at Dickoya, Hatton, being built with India’s assistance, was nearing completion.

provide assistance for 1,320 small businesses that were affected by the armed conflict in Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu districts

Equipment worth SLR 70 million has been provided to the Palmyrah Research Institute in Jaffna and 10,000 bicycles provided to the IDPs of Northern Province

http://www.asiantribune.com/node/63707

we're not just in Infra sector,we covered almost every sector..I can dig up more,if you want..and the works I've posted is not a small amount I guess.....

you missed housing projects,in which India will build/repair 50000 houses for displaced tamils...

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=13494

apart from that,unity infra won projects worth 1500 crore...

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=12755

Indian Railway signed USD149 million contract for reconstruction project

http://www.newsonprojects.com/story.asp?news_code=12982

apart from that,Ircon is also executing other rail projects in Sri Lanka, including of restoration of 106 km-long Medawachchiya-Talaimannar section, 90 km-long Omanthai-Pallai section and supply and installation of signaling and telecommunication system on the entire railway network in the Northern Province.

creation of handcrafts village worth 20 million...
Fishnet Factory in Jaffna at a cost of Rs. 166 million and the project to revive the Industrial Estate at Atchchuvely in Jaffna, at a cost of Rs. 220 million
http://www.colombopage.com/archive_13B/Oct23_1382547133CH.php

MoU between India and Sri Lanka for small development projects upto SLR 300 million,

rehabilitation of the Northern Railway lines under a concessional Line of Credit of US $ 800 million

wreck-removal and rehabilitation of the KKS Harbour

establishment of Vocational Training Centres

construction of a Cultural Centre at Jaffna

restoration of Tirukatheeswaran temple

establishing an Agricultural Research Institute in Northern Province

expanding the scholarship program for Sri Lankan students to pursue their higher studies in India

setting up of Centers of English Language Training in each Province of Sri Lanka

providing technical assistance for the National Action Plan for a Trilingual Sri Lanka

restore rail connectivity between Medawachchiya and KKS

help to repair and renovate 79 war-damaged schools in Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu and Vavuniya and the project for setting up a Faculty of Agriculture and a Faculty of Engineering at the Kilinochchi Campus of the Jaffna University at a cost of SLR 600 million.

the tripling by India of scholarship assistance for Sri Lanka, amounting to SLR 2.5 billion over the next 3 years. India’s assistance also included computers and related hardware to over 400 schools in the Eastern Province and the setting up of vocational training centres in Batticaloa and Nuwara Eliya.

the construction of a 200-bed ward complex for the District Hospital in Vavuniya.

set up and equip the Siddha Faculty at the Eastern University in Trincomalee.

The 150-bed base hospital project at Dickoya, Hatton, being built with India’s assistance, was nearing completion.

provide assistance for 1,320 small businesses that were affected by the armed conflict in Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu districts

Equipment worth SLR 70 million has been provided to the Palmyrah Research Institute in Jaffna and 10,000 bicycles provided to the IDPs of Northern Province

http://www.asiantribune.com/node/63707

we're not just in Infra sector,we covered almost every sector..I can dig up more,if you want..and the works I've posted is not a small amount I guess.....

I have been mentioning the major Indian projects and mega scale projects which happening around the country!

I have been mentioning the major Indian projects and mega scale projects which happening around the country!

and I mentioned whats India is doing there..its not just roads or dams or port,its all total a development package,for almost every sector.I didn't even added small issues like donating equipment for farmers and all..

if you see Indian project,we're not there to achieve strategic footholds as we already has strong foothold in this region.our development projects long before even China or other countries set foot in this region.sometimes,that made us an enemy to govt,sometimes to LTTE.but we're still carrying this work.

and I mentioned whats India is doing there..its not just roads or dams or port,its all total a development package,for almost every sector.I didn't even added small issues like donating equipment for farmers and all..

if you see Indian project,we're not there to achieve strategic footholds as we already has strong foothold in this region.our development projects long before even China or other countries set foot in this region.sometimes,that made us an enemy to govt,sometimes to LTTE.but we're still carrying this work.

I'm not against any Indian projects, what I have mentioned was what we see in here.

Back
Top Bottom