What's new

Sri Lanka national cricketers not paid since World Cup

fd24

Reaction score
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed that the national cricketers have not been paid their salaries for months.
About 100 contracted players are not paid since Sri Lanka co-hosted the World Cup together with India and Bangladesh.
The capital expenditure on the recent World Cup left the country's richest sports body facing a sizeable debt.
There are also doubts whether the SLC would be able to pay salaries in the next two months.
"There is a truth in those media reports to a certain extent," SLC chairman Upali Dharmadasa told BBC Sinhala.
But he said efforts are being made to make the payments as soon as the SLC receives the remaining payments from the International Cricket Council (ICC) for hosting the World Cup.
"The ICC still owes us $4-5m (£2.5- £3.1m)," he added.
Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage earlier told BBC Sinhala that Sri Lanka still owes more than $18.1m (£11.2m) to the Chinese construction firm that built the brand new stadium in President Mahinda Rajapaksa's hometown, Hambantota.

The minister expressed hope that the issue will be amicably resolved before the end of the year.
SLC's financial troubles come at a time Sri Lanka is competing with Australia to host another mega- sporting event, the Commonwealth Games in 2018.

I think Sri Lanka can say goodbye to the Commonwealth games if the dont resolve this. This is probably the reason why Lasith Malinga at his age has retired at such an early age?

Wait a minute...a country that hosted the world cup faces debt because of the capital expenditure incurred? That's really really bad management!

Wait a minute...a country that hosted the world cup faces debt because of the capital expenditure incurred? That's really really bad management!

I cant understand it yaar. They should be loaded. Somethings not right! If i was a Sri Lankan supporter i would be fuming! Its just not playing with a straight bat!

now we will be seeing more SL cricketers retiring from international cricket to play IPL .....i am sure they will be paid atleast 10 better than what they get by playing for SL

I cant understand it yaar. They should be loaded. Somethings not right! If i was a Sri Lankan supporter i would be fuming! Its just not playing with a straight bat!
Forget the supporter. Imagine a SL player who played the IPL right after the World cup. I'm sure there are quite a few rethinking their priorities.

Pathetic condition... they constructed Hambantota stadium far away in jungle where hardly few people lives.. spent millions in that stadium and now struggling to pay to those chinese constructers....

May be that defines the the relatively pathetic performance by SL against Pakistan in test series.

Back
Top Bottom