What's new

Sri Lanka 60th in Propsperity. Comparison to South Asian Countries + China.

For some reason, there is no option to choose to edit anymore in your posts.

What I mean to say was:

"That is why that BD should now look to Sri Lanka to better itself. "

BD should no longer focus on India or Pakistan has now been surpassed.
Lol BD has not surpassed Pakistan, let alone India. Sri Lanka is a long way away.

For some reason, there is no option to choose to edit anymore in your posts.

What I mean to say was:

"That is why that BD should now look to Sri Lanka to better itself. "

BD should no longer focus on India or Pakistan has now been surpassed.

There is an option! I had to look for it a little while but it is the small pencil icon to the right of the timestamp on the bottom of your posts.

BD has indeed surpassed India on the prosperity index we're looking at. 103rd place vs 106th for the first time! Now third in South Asia behind only Nepal and Sri Lanka

Lol BD has not surpassed Pakistan, let alone India. Sri Lanka is a long way away.

Do you mean Sri Lanka is a long way ahead? Maybe in these terms but in years worth of development not so much.

Developed countries have plateau'd in their growth, that is why it is possible to catch up!

Last edited:
Given the high Economic,infrastructural and HDI stats.. Lanka's comparisons should be always against East Asian and ASEAN tiger economies.. It's pointless comparing with the likes of India where the gulf is way too wide.. Apart from the Maldives no other South Asian even come close to development figures SL enjoys

Congrts to SL:tup:
SL might actually become a developed country in our life time but still there is a long way to go as though SL has highest Socio-economic indicators in the entire South Asia, its industrial base is still in its insignificant n depends primarily on agriculture n raw material for exports.

Congrts to SL:tup:
SL might actually become a developed country in our life time but still there is a long way to go as though SL has highest Socio-economic indicators in the entire South Asia, its industrial base is still in its insignificant n depends primarily on agriculture n raw material for exports.

True, although a lot more manufacturing is happening now. Interesting video showing heavy industries:

What's good for India is good for the world, with 1.2 billion people. Do you think India will become developed in our lives?

True, although a lot more manufacturing is happening now. Interesting video showing heavy industries:

What's good for India is good for the world, with 1.2 billion people. Do you think India will become developed in our lives?

Depends on how old you are ;)

Personally my plan is to work in India sometime in early 2020s, that's when I'm betting India will really start taking off like China did in 2000s. Some of those massive industrial projects will be coming online and we'll see the country moving towards full development.

India's previous dependence on it's service sector and consumption for growth was simply unsustainable.

There is an option! I had to look for it a little while but it is the small pencil icon to the right of the timestamp on the bottom of your posts.

BD has indeed surpassed India on the prosperity index we're looking at. 103rd place vs 106th for the first time! Now third in South Asia behind only Nepal and Sri Lanka

Do you mean Sri Lanka is a long way ahead? Maybe in these terms but in years worth of development not so much.

Developed countries have plateau'd in their growth, that is why it is possible to catch up!

SL is a long way away. Last year I travelled from Kolkata (where I was born) to Chennai and then finally to Colombo (holidaying with my best mate).

The differences between Kolkata and Colombo are as stark as it gets in South Asia. While IMHO, there was more shopping malls etc in Kolkata, the cleanliness and general civic responsibility in Colombo far exceeded anything I've seen in India.

The prevalence of the knowledge based industries for growth in India has led to a disparity in terms of average household income. There were so many luxury vehicles in Kolkata, in fact I saw a whole bunch of Beamer X5s, and from personal experience they cost over 120k+ AUD. The numbers for such luxury items were less in Lanka, but I spent over 2 weeks in the country and didn't see a single person going to the toilet by the side of the road.

There's this place in Colombo, there's a whole bunch of hotels and the beach is right next to it. There are food markets that popped up there at night. The whole place reeked of the first world. Probably the best place I've been to in SL.

Really nice video, the funny part is if u mute the volume, i won't be able to tell whether these r Indians or Sri Lankans.:P

Btw by Developed nation if u mean $30,000-50,000 per capita then i m not sure.

But If u mean excellent Infrastucture n other facilities with a strong economy then difinitely Yes.

Even currently a lot of developmental work is underway from Express Highways to HSR to what not. Huge Industrial base for Automobiles, Shipbuilding, Pharma, IT, even Nuclear Power Plants is coming up n this is just the starting....:)

Here is a glimpse of what i m talking about, look by urself :

www.defence.pk/threads/india-developing-but-still-a-long-way-to-go.28463/page-462#post-4911511

Yes it has.

And again, both Pakistan and India have had an extra 24 years of independence.

BD is now firmly looking at Sri Lanka as a marker for improvement.

SL is a long way away. Last year I travelled from Kolkata (where I was born) to Chennai and then finally to Colombo (holidaying with my best mate).

The differences between Kolkata and Colombo are as stark as it gets in South Asia. While IMHO, there was more shopping malls etc in Kolkata, the cleanliness and general civic responsibility in Colombo far exceeded anything I've seen in India.

The prevalence of the knowledge based industries for growth in India has led to a disparity in terms of average household income. There were so many luxury vehicles in Kolkata, in fact I saw a whole bunch of Beamer X5s, and from personal experience they cost over 120k+ AUD. The numbers for such luxury items were less in Lanka, but I spent over 2 weeks in the country and didn't see a single person going to the toilet by the side of the road.

There's this place in Colombo, there's a whole bunch of hotels and the beach is right next to it. There are food markets that popped up there at night. The whole place reeked of the first world. Probably the best place I've been to in SL.

Above bold part made me smile! LOL

btw, In Sri Lanka vehicle prices are higher, government has around 300% tax. If you own one means actually owning 3 vehicles. When I go to jeep.com I feel to cry after seeing such low prices in a such develop country. Anyway even such higher prices vehicle owned percentage is higher in Sri Lanka.

cheapest car in SL - Indian nano = 13 lakhs + VAT

Tata-15-Jul-2012.jpg

Depends on how old you are ;)

Personally my plan is to work in India sometime in early 2020s, that's when I'm betting India will really start taking off like China did in 2000s. Some of those massive industrial projects will be coming online and we'll see the country moving towards full development.

India's previous dependence on it's service sector and consumption for growth was simply unsustainable.

I think what we need is more 90s-style economic liberalisation in India. But with the services sector I think many were suggesting this was an alternate path to development, leapfrogging the industry stage. 

Wow thanks for the insight. I may visit India soon, do you recommend anywhere in particular? Such a vast place seems like a great adventure! 
Really nice video, the funny part is if u mute the volume, i won't be able to tell whether these r Indians or Sri Lankans.:P

Btw by Developed nation if u mean $30,000-50,000 per capita then i m not sure.

But If u mean excellent Infrastucture n other facilities with a strong economy then difinitely Yes.

Even currently a lot of developmental work is underway from Express Highways to HSR to what not. Huge Industrial base for Automobiles, Shipbuilding, Pharma, IT, even Nuclear Power Plants is coming up n this is just the starting....:)

Here is a glimpse of what i m talking about, look by urself :

www.defence.pk/threads/india-developing-but-still-a-long-way-to-go.28463/page-462#post-4911511

Thanks for the link!
But I don't think we can see far enough into the future to tell! Some great technologies could come out that erase poverty, we never know. We'll just have to wait and see probably, and that's the exciting part!

I think what we need is more 90s-style economic liberalisation in India. But with the services sector I think many were suggesting this was an alternate path to development, leapfrogging the industry stage. 

Wow thanks for the insight. I may visit India soon, do you recommend anywhere in particular? Such a vast place seems like a great adventure! 

Thanks for the link!
But I don't think we can see far enough into the future to tell! Some great technologies could come out that erase poverty, we never know. We'll just have to wait and see probably, and that's the exciting part!

If u planning to visit India then the one place currently top of my mind is Sikkim:P

Btw u can also visit my place i.e. Jaipur, The Pink City :)
If u like old forts n palaces then Jaipur is the place to be plus there r hell of other things too like Place on wheel (one of the top luxury trains in the world with one of the oldest surviving engines), Overall my state Rajasthan is pretty beautiful n one of the biggest tourist destinations in India(its something like every 3rd tourist comes here).
If u like natural beauty then Kerela would be a dream come true(although a bit expensive).

If u want more info then here is a thread by one of our French friend Shatterpoint, when he planned to visit India, he has also shared his experience there (both good n bad) :

www.defence.pk/threads/going-to-india.180705/

Hope that would help:)

Back
Top Bottom