What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Just watched Imran Khan on Duniya TV "... yeh joo asal BOOK chalti hay Mumbai say chalti hay..."

ICC rejects Pakistan's conspiracy theory

LONDON: The ICC on Friday rejected Pakistan's conspiracy theory behind the suspension of three of its players in connection with the 'spot-fixing' scandal and said clear indications were given about the impending action.

It also said the three cricketers have a "case to answer" but refused to specify the charges against them.

Addressing a press conference, ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat dismissed a question that the action was taken to keep Pakistan out of international cricket.

"The very reason I met your High Commissioner Wajid Hasan was to give a clear indication that we are coming to a conclusion and that we will be serving a notice. I differ with Pakistan High Commission interpretation of the meet. I indicated to him about issuing the notice," he said.

Earlier in the day, Hasan attacked the ICC saying it had taken an unethical decision and sought to insinuate that ICC President Sharad Pawar had a hand in it.

After suspending the trio of Pakistan Test skipper Salman Butt and pacers Mohammad Aamer and Mohammad Asif, the ICC said after "due diligence", it is clear that the players have to explain themselves following a sting operation in which a bookie claimed to have paid them money for bowling no balls in a Test match against England.

"The press suggested this week that why didn't the ICC act immediately? There was no specific cause to make us act yesterday. It was about taking legal advice, having teleconferences and examine the case," ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit chief Sir Ronnie Flanagan said in the press conference.

"The conclusion was that it was an arguable case against the players. We certainly came to the conclusion that they have a case to answer to our disciplinary commission," he added.

Lorgat said the ICC would be "decisive" in its action against guilty players but only after establishing their guilt.

"We promise to be decisive. We got a week for due diligence. We have got to be very mindful of the interviews that are going on right now with the police.

"Last night was the first opportunity we got in which we concluded what we have done. We needed to do all the evidence gathering and frame charges. We cannot suspend any player without formally charging anyone," he said.

On whether criminal charges would be pressed against the players, who are being investigated by the Scotland Yard, Flanagan refused to comment.

"It would be absolutely wrong for me comment to (on whether criminal charges would be brought). If the police find evidence, it is for the prosecuting authorities to make that decision. We would be absolutely wrong to make a comment on that. It's a complex investigation," Flanagan said.

Asked whether the ICC had failed in its responsibility of educating players about the implications of getting involved in corruption, Flanagan said, "Absolutely not."

"There are many instances where the ACSU has prevented this possibility. I absolutely refute the suggestions that this in anyway shows a failure on the ACSU's part," he added.

The two officials also refused to divulge the specific charges levelled against the players by the ICC.

"There are various charges and they all relate to this issue. They know exactly what the charges are. Quite frankly it would not be right for us to specifically state these charges in front of the media," said Lorgat.

Quizzed about the Sydney Test between Australia and Pakistan which is also suspected to be fixed, Flanagan said the governing body would act according to the evidence available with it.

"There was a particular match in Australia. The ACSU very concisely stated that it was a dysfunctional tour and there were things that went on. We have investigations going on of all kinds. The criminal investigations at this stage are focussed on Lord's. We are the investigating agency of the ICC and we will go where the evidence takes us," he said.

"We would be examining all the evidence that will brought forward in this case. We will investigate in any given case. We are in the process of examining and if it takes us back to something we would certainly do that," he added.

Lorgat rejected suggestions that the scandal was just the tip of an iceberg and that there was widespread corruption in cricket.

"We can't work on hearsay or speculation. The vast majority of players are honest and on occasions, they are not, we deal with it," he said.

Asked whether 'spot-fixing', which involves rigging events within a match, is widespread, Lorgat said, "We don't believe that it is widespread and in few instances where a few might be committing something we don't want to see, we will act. Let's see what the evidence we have."

"I do not see this as a tip of the iceberg but we must learn from this. We need to address integrity and root out corruption from cricket," added Flanagan.

ICC rejects Pakistan's conspiracy theory - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

Has the ICC held a hearing with the 3 players? AFAIK the players have only met with the PCB Chief, HC and SY.

Additionally, as the HC Hassan pointed out, how can the ICC take a decision on suspension and 'hearings' when the investigation is still ongoing, and no trial has taken place and no one found guilty?

I understand the 'need to protect the game' but this move was premature and unnecessary, and will come across as the ICC determining guilt before hand.

Totally agree with you. Now that these players are released without any charge, it makes ICC's action very disturbing in my opinion. ICC is supposed to look after this game but it appears that they are either bias or very naive to jump into conclusions without any proof!

It's unfortunate on these players if they are innocent. But if they are proven guilty, there won't be just a provisional suspension - more like an extended ban or something. It also means the ICC will not be able to make an example of this case.

All said, I don't support this suspension. But hopefully this acts as a deterrent to be even associated with bookies.

Deterrent against what? Why would ICC ban players when there is an ongoing investigation and nothing is proven? On mere allegations? Is that what the standard of ICC should be? If A accuses B, just suspend without proof! To me its not a 'deterrent' but it is 'incompetence' on the part of ICC who can be convinced this easily by a news paper like the NOTW. A paper that is full of gutter journalism, *** scandals and misreporting. ICC must act responsibly and not under the influence of sensational journalism!

Last edited:
Just watched Imran Khan on Duniya TV "... yeh joo asal BOOK chalti hay Mumbai say chalti hay..."

Are you referring to illegal betting in India, then that is illegal because Indian laws do not allow one to bet on most sports.

The issue of match fixing is different from illegal betting, illegal betting only leads to loss of revenue to the govt of India, match fixing results in defrauding (legal and illegal) bookies and individuals and bringing the sport disrepute. Woh wali aapke dressing room mein chalti hain...

Also explain to me why Salam Butt at cover is looking at Muhammad Amir instead of the batsman when the bowl is being bowled?

While you are it, look up the word denial. I can understand your feelings bro. You WANT them to be proven innocent. But, facts are facts.

Hi,

Sir---you misunderstood me completely---I am from the Shane warne school of australian player protection to the superstars---.

I don't believe in falling on my sword and neither I want my superstarts to do the same---.

I want these players to be judged by the simple plain intensity of the crime---I donot believe in setting the example just for the show and sake of it.

Punishment may only fit the crime and still I wold want to find a way to get them out.

If it was upto me---I would fight tooth and nail to get my 2 superstars back in the game and go toe to toe against Lorgat.

Let me give you a glimpse of what the defense can say:

As long as they are guilty of spot-fixing that's good enough for me. Whether or not any betting was carried out is immaterial.

That there is the problem. They are guilty of spot-fixing if it is conclusively proven that this video was shot before the actual no-balls were bowled. If you have any links to that, please share it. Alternatively, if the notes found in their room can be traced back to NOTW, the players are in serious trouble.

Also explain to me why Salam Butt at cover is looking at Muhammad Amir instead of the batsman when the bowl is being bowled?

The captain and his bowler had a discussion just before this ball. What if the strategy was to bowl a no-ball to 'shorten' the pitch length and get the batsman on the back foot? That is unethical, but you cannot get a life ban for this (Wasim Akram was an expert at these things). In that line of thought, Butt is justified in looking at his bowler than at the batsman.

Deterrent against what? Why would ICC ban players when there is an ongoing investigation and nothing is proven? On mere allegations?

Which part of the word 'unfortunate' do you not understand? If the players are guilty, the ICCs action is not correct. But not all punishments are in accordance to the crime. In this case, it is worse since no guilt has been established. If anything, their photos and videos with Majeed have cast a doubt on their character. Maybe THIS will act as a DETERRENT for players to stay away from even talking to the bookies.

And people --- please stop defending Aamer selectively. If he is guilty, it is by his own accord. If he is not guilty, it is only when the others are innocent as well.

The cricket playboys: At the wheel of fixer's £130,000 Aston Martin, Pakistan's captain before cheat scandal broke

article-1308874-0B04B0F3000005DC-985_634x310.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...130-000-Aston-Martin-cheat-scandal-broke.html

Might sound cynical. But there is word going round here that there might be some more damning revelations over the weekend by NOTW. There was a hint yesterday when they made a statement 'watch this space' with regard to pak HC's statemnts & today some news channals are speculating the same too. Now! this could be interesting!!

If they are proved innocent then sue the god damn channel for millions and if they are really criminals then hang these traitors.

If they are proved innocent then sue the god damn channel for millions and if they are really criminals then hang these traitors.

Overflow of emotions? How can you hang them? Technically, they play for the PCB, not the government of Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom