What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

So far if the video was shot before the fact, then at least Amir and Asif are guilty and then we can look into the rest.

If the video's authenticity cannot be established then there is no case at all... Even I don't want anyone guilty to walk away from this, an example needs to be made out of corrupt players, but the burden of proof should not be on the players to prove themselves innocent but on NOTW to prove the players guilty

ICC must set an example by taking strictest possible action against these greedy cricketers.

But you know what, Sharad Pawar being at top of ICC, any action taken will be immediately politicised by pakistan and it will become yet another India pakistan issue (like the one in IPL :D). Where PCB will have to take a line for defending these tainted players.

These greedy bastards are lucky I guess.

Pakistan minister hints at 'conspiracy' - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's interior minister on Tuesday hinted that spot-fixing allegations against its top cricketers in England could have been cooked up as part of a conspiracy against the national side.

But Rehman Malik also told reporters that if wrongdoing was proven the players would be dealt with harshly.

"If there is a conspiracy against our team to defame Pakistan then we would like to know the facts and we will exonerate ourselves," said Malik.

"But at the same time our whole leadership is agreed that if any player is found to be involved we will make an example out of him.

"We know that there have been many conspiracies against Pakistan cricket in the past and perhaps there will also be in future. We are keeping this in mind."

Seven Pakistani players are being investigated by Scotland Yard detectives on allegations of deliberating delivering three no-balls during the team's fourth and final Test against England, which Pakistan lost on Sunday.

Malik said his ministry had contacted a representative of Scotland Yard in Pakistan for information on progress in the investigation.

It follows a British Sunday tabloid newspaper sting in which a bookmaker allegedly paid Pakistani players to deliberately bowl the no-balls.

Britain's biggest-selling paper, the News of the World, claimed it had paid middleman Mazhar Majeed 150,000 pounds for exact details of three deliberate no-balls in the match.

But Malik said video evidence of the sting was not conclusive.

"Video an be fake... we will believe it only when we have an authentic report that can stand the test of a court of law."

Read more: Pakistan minister hints at 'conspiracy' - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India Pakistan minister hints at 'conspiracy' - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

A Pakistani lawyer has filed treason charges against some of the country's cricket players following corruption allegations - a charge with carries the death penalty.

Lawyer Ishtiaq Ahmed told AFP: "In my petition to the court I've said that this spot-fixing amounts to dishonesty to the nation and falls under the law of treason.

"The suspected players have let the whole nation down and abrogated the constitution of the country and if they are proven guilty they should be banned for life and their assets confiscated."

The case will be heard in the Lahore High Court today.

Investigations by British police and the International Cricket Council are already underway into a newspaper report alleging three Pakistan players had been bribed to fix incidents in last week's fourth Test against England.

London police have confiscated the mobile phones of Test captain Salman Butt as well as pace bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif, and the trio -- plus wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal -- have been questioned at the team's hotel.

The Pakistan team arrived in Taunton to play a warm-up game for two Twenty20 internationals and a five-match one-day series against England, which starts on Sunday.

PCB chairman Ijaz Butt said the players being investigated would not be suspended without proof of wrongdoing, however.

"There is a case going on over here with Scotland Yard," Ijaz told cricinfo.

On Monday, the police released on bail a 35-year-old man who had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers following the report in the News of the World newspaper.

According to the report, Mazhar Majeed, an agent who claimed to represent 10 Pakistan players including Butt, said Amir and Asif had bowled three no-balls between them by pre-arrangement in the fourth Test against England which finished on Sunday.

The report also cast doubt on the second Test between Pakistan and Australia in Sydney this year when the hosts staged a remarkable comeback to win by 36 runs after overcoming a 206-run first-innings deficit.

The scandal has outraged cricket fans in Pakistan and the country's federal sports minister, Mir Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani, said the players would be given "maximum punishment" if allegations against them were proved.
Eurosport

Pakistani cricketers may face death penalty - Yahoo! Eurosport

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Pak fixing scandal: Salman Butt, Asif, Amir stopped from practising in Taunton

ICC must set an example by taking strictest possible action against these greedy cricketers.

But you know what, Sharad Pawar being at top of ICC, any action taken will be immediately politicised by pakistan and it will become yet another India pakistan issue (like the one in IPL :D). Where PCB will have to take a line for defending these tainted players.

These greedy bastards are lucky I guess.
Dude, NOTW must just prove it. After that, once proven, Pakistanis themselves won't leave these players till they have been brought to justice.

When was the video shot, has any forensics analysis been done on whatever storage media they were originally recorded on?

Conversely from what you said I think Indians are more interested in lynching Pakistan's star cricketer rather than finding out for sure whether or not he was involved in any corruption.

Indians are being totally anti-investigation and pro-swift justice. Why? Just go through the Indian responses here and you'll know who is making this into an India-Pakistan thing.

breaking news!! just heard from one of the news channels that it was from salman butt's room they recovered 50k pounds. if the numbers on these notes matches the one on those given by NOTW, then i'm sure this case is nailed.
also there is gonna b an official announcement by pcb later this afternoon confirming the withdrawel of four players from the current tour. for pcb to go ahead and do this only confirms the fact that there is a strong case these plyaers need to answer!!

Salman Butt, Asif, Aamer stopped from practising in Taunton

New Delhi: In wake of the match-fixing allegations, Pakistan captain Salman Butt and pacers Mohd Asif and Mohd Aamer have been barred from practising in Taunton.

These three Pak players have also been summoned by the Scotland Yard.

The International Cricket Council had asked the Pakistan Cricket Board to drop the players who were accused of spot fixing in the Lord's Test against England.

The PCB, however, said that it would not suspend the players until the police completes investigation and produces incriminating evidence.

Three Pakistani cricketers summoned by Scotland Yard

breaking news!! just heard from one of the news channels that it was from salman butt's room they recovered 50k pounds. if the numbers on these notes matches the one on those given by NOTW, then i'm sure this case is nailed.
also there is gonna b an official announcement by pcb later this afternoon confirming the withdrawel of four players from the current tour. for pcb to go ahead and do this only confirms the fact that there is a strong case these plyaers need to answer!!
They found this money on the first day from their hotel rooms. If there was a match it would've come out already.

They found foreign currency, there is no question of notes matching.

Salman Butt, Asif, Aamer stopped from practising in Taunton

New Delhi: In wake of the match-fixing allegations, Pakistan captain Salman Butt and pacers Mohd Asif and Mohd Aamer have been barred from practising in Taunton.

These three Pak players have also been summoned by the Scotland Yard.

The International Cricket Council had asked the Pakistan Cricket Board to drop the players who were accused of spot fixing in the Lord's Test against England.

The PCB, however, said that it would not suspend the players until the police completes investigation and produces incriminating evidence.

Three Pakistani cricketers summoned by Scotland Yard
This just seems wrong, since they need to practice and be ready for the match. If tomorrow everything turns out to be false who will pay in damages that may occur due to these restrictions.

They found this money on the first day from their hotel rooms. If there was a match it would've come out already.

They found foreign currency, there is no question of notes matching.

now.. we only know that they found 50k from salman butt's room. wether it's the same money, will only be known once the forensic investigation is completed. so far we had no official statement from scotland yard on the progress of the investigation. most of the details will be out in the open once they hold the official press conference. let's just wait and see where this takes us!!

Now i am really not sure whose guilty here.

First the Lahore attacks and now this scandal. Someone somewhere surely wants Pakistan out of international cricket arena or is it we the Pakistanis who are doing all the wrongs and blaming the entire world..??

At a glance it looks like the entire world has become anti-Pakistan be it politics, militarily, economically, diplomatically or sports...

Totally confused.......

First the Lahore attacks and now this scandal. Someone somewhere surely wants Pakistan out of international cricket arena or is it we the Pakistanis who are doing all the wrongs and blaming the entire world..??

At a glance it looks like the entire world has become anti-Pakistan be it politics, militarily, economically, diplomatically or sports...

Totally confused.......

Dont get confused, dont loose hope, your enemy is counting on it,
Be brave and stand for what you believe.

:pakistan:

Most in Pakistani team are not there cause they were the best of the best they are there cause they paid heavy bribes so they aren't in it for the love of there country:hitwall: or love of the game they are simply there to make as much as they can as fast as they can.

Another one of those events that make me proud to be a Pakistani:hitwall::cry:.

Totally confused.......

my friend i have total sympathy with your predicament. sometimes it's becomes necessary to open up your mind & look within instead of relying on conspiracy theories to keep self esteem intact.

Totally confused.......

No need to be confused accept the reality we are our worse enemies.

Back
Top Bottom