What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

pak cricket is under icu.whole structure is damaged since lahore attacks.

Yaar its in India too , you saved Kapil Dav and hanged Azharuddin on match fixing , both were involved. yes currently no scandals

Kapil Dev played his last match in 1994; the fixing was more prevalent during the phase of Azharuddin and Jadeja from 1996-1999.

President takes notice of spot-fixing allegations
Updated at: 1825 PST, Sunday, August 29, 2010
ISLAMABAD: President Asif Ali Zardari Sunday, taking notice on news reports of spot-fixing allegations being leveled against Pakistani cricketers, sought a report on the issue.

The President awoke to the issue and ordered submission of a detailed report in this regard after a British scribe broke a news report of spot-fixing by Pakistani cricketers.

Scotland Yard sprang to action and began investigation into the allegations, after the breaking of the news.

Pakistani players are being grilled while Scotland Yard has sought passports of seven Pakistan cricket players who are presently in England.

President takes notice of spot-fixing allegations - GEO.tv

If I worked as their PR manager, I would say that these guys were just trying to raise some quick cash for flood relief.

And what better way to do it other than bowling a few no balls. As for the previous fixed matches, those were for helping the people in war affected areas.

Fixing ghost returns, bookie accuse Pak Captain as the ‘ringleader’

London: The ghost of the match-fixing returns to Pakistan cricket as they endured the worst day in their turbulent cricket history on Sunday when a corruption scandal involving key players erupted overnight which was succeeded by their heaviest Test defeat.

Based on a sting operation conducted by British tabloid ‘The News of the World’, the Metropolitan Police arrested London-based property tycoon Mazhar Majeed, who allegedly lured Pakistani fast bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif to deliver three blatant no-balls at the “crucial times” of the game by the daily’s undercover reporter.

The practice is known as spot fixing. While ‘match-fixing’ involves fixing the result of a match, ‘spot-fixing’ is manipulating events within the match.

Reports also suggested that Pakistan captain Salman Butt and wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal were also involved. The shocking video released by the tabloid also show Majeed exchanging jacket containing money with Pakistan’s new pace bowler Wahab Riaz.

According to the reports, Majeed has confessed of knowing Pakistan skipper Salman Butt and has alleged Butt to approach him for striking deals and has even quoted him as “the ringleader of the pack.”

He also reportedly named wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal and boasted that he had a total of seven Pakistani cricketers in his pocket.

This is the first instance when the fixing in cricket is exposed on camera.

The video evidence that the tabloid has presented also shows Majeed talking about his links with Indian bookies.

“....in terms of results, depending on who we are playing, sometimes it can be 300,000 pounds. The max it can be is 450,000 pounds. You can speak to any bookie in India and they will tell you about this information and how much they’ll pay. If you had the information and they knew that it was coming from the source they’d pay you that money themselves,” he is quoted as saying.

“I deal with an Indian party. They pay me for the information.”

However, the International Cricket Council said it was aware of the developments and will not comment on Pakistan players being linked to fixing syndicate.

“No players nor the team officials have been arrested in relation to this incident and the fourth Test match will continue as scheduled on Sunday.”

“As this is now subject to a police investigation neither ICC, ECB, PCB nor the ground authority, the MCC, will make any further comment,” an ICC statement said.

In another development, Pakistan tour manager Yawar Saeed told that police had confiscated mobile phones belonging to Amir, Asif and Captain Salman Butt.

However, it would appear from Butt’s body language on Sunday that he cannot wait to go home. Asked repeatedly if he had been involved in spot fixing as alleged in The News of the World, Butt did not give a direct denial.

Asked whether he would consider quitting the job, which was given to him only last month, Butt merely said, “why?”

“These are just allegations, anyone can say anything about anyone, that doesn’t make them true,” he fumed in a brief post-match press conference with team manager Yawar Saeed by his side.

Earlier in the day, Pakistan team did not bother to warm up on Sunday and were duly defeated by an innings and 225 runs before lunch on the fourth day.

Only a sprinkling of spectators were present to watch the dying rites of a series won 3-1 by the home side and when Amir came out to bat he was booed.

The fans were even denied sight of a victory ceremony which was held in the Long Room in the Lord’s pavilion in a distinctly chilly atmosphere. Amir got neither applause nor handshakes when he was presented with the award for Pakistan player of the series.

Pakistan, who play all their international matches abroad because of the parlous security situation at home, have played six Tests in seven weeks in England including a drawn series with Australia.

The news caused consternation in Pakistan, where their cricket team’s wins over Australia and England this season have provided a small measure of consolation for those affected by the floods which have killed at least 1,600 people and forced more than six million from their homes.

“We are waiting for a detailed report from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and if any players are found guilty of being involved in fixing they will be banned for life,” Sports Minister Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani said.

Former Pakistan Captain Salim Malik was one of three international leaders who were banned for life after a match-fixing scandal which emerged in 2000. South African Hansie Cronje and India’s Mohammad Azharuddin also received life bans.

Match-fixing scandal has shamed all Pakistanis: Gilani

PTI, Aug 29, 2010, 10.11pm IST

ISLAMABAD: With Pakistani cricket caught in another match-fixing scandal, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Sunday said the fresh allegations against its cricketers had made the countrymen "bow their heads in shame".

"I am deeply pained (by the reports)," he told media persons today, after yet another fixing scandal rocked the Pakistani cricket team in England.

"Our heads have been bowed in shame," he said. The Prime Minister said he was asking the Ministry of Sports to conduct an inquiry into the allegations.

Earlier, President Asif Ali Zardari too expressed disappointment at the allegations of match-fixing involving some Pakistani cricketers that were first reported by British tabloid 'News of the World' whose sting operation led to the arrest of an alleged fixer in England.

Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said Zardari, who is also patron of the Pakistan Cricket Board, had taken note of the reports and directed officials to keep him updated about developments and the status of any inquiry that may have been ordered or held in London.

PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt has been directed to immediately submit a preliminary report about the incident, Babar said.

Pakistan cricket captain Salman Butt is also among the seven cricketers whose names have come up in the tabloid's sting.

News of the World reported that bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif delivered three deliberate no-balls in an ongoing Test against England in line with the predictions of alleged fixer Mazhar Majeed.

Majeed allegedly received 150,000 pounds from the tabloid's undercover reporters posing as members of a gambling cartel.

If I worked as their PR manager, I would say that these guys were just trying to raise some quick cash for flood releif.

And what better way to do than by bowling a few no balls. As for the previous fixed matches, those were for helping the people in war affected areas.

Are you serious?:azn: Tomorrow they will steal, murder and do what not all in the name of helping flood victims?

The only ones they are helping are their bank account managers. LOL

Last edited:
Cricket betting scandal: Pakistan reacts

President orders chairman of cricket board to submit immediate report on Lord's controversy as harsh punishments are called for

Rania Abouzeid in Islamabad
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 29 August 2010 20.21 BST

Man-reading-Pakistani-new-006.jpg

News of the Pakistani cricket scandal was received with a mix of shock, anger and disbelief today, with the president wading in to express his "disappointment" while locals from fast-bowling sensation Mohammad Amir's hometown grappled to come to terms with their young hero's alleged role.

"The chairman of the (Pakistan Cricket Board) has been directed to immediately submit a preliminary report about the incident," President Asif Ali Zardari's office said in a press statement.

News channels across the country were keenly following the developments, and replaying the News of the World footage of a man identified as Mazhar Majeed taking £150,000 in cash in return for predicting when three "no balls" would come in the ongoing fourth and final Test against England at Lord's. Two Pakistani bowlers, Amir and Mohammad Asif, delivered the no-balls as predicted, on Thursday and Friday respectively. Majeed was arrested by British police last night and remains in custody.

"There were a lot of rumors about this kind of thing happening over the last couple of years, but there was so little evidence to support it that we just thought, you know it's just another one of those conspiracy theories that float around in Pakistan," said Osman Samiuddin, Pakistan editor of the influential sporting site, cricinfo.com. "But suddenly to have this kind of evidence come up in video form, it seems watertight. It's a big jolt to the system."

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is withholding comment while the matter is under investigation, but an angry former PCB chairman Tauqeer Zia told the English-language Express 24/7 news channel that those found guilty must receive harsh punishments.

"Their property should be confiscated and they should be banned from cricket, both domestic and international, for life," he said. "And I'm sorry, but management cannot be unaware of what was going on. I think management is deeply responsible."

The question of how far up the scandal extends dominated the Pakistani blogosphere. "Are you trying to tell me that none, none, of the (PCB) board officials or management knew about any of this? Remember, this has been going on for years, by the admission of the man at the center of it all, Mazhar Majeed," wrote Ahsan Butt, on Five Rupees blog. "Make no mistake, so many heads will roll as a result of this that you might think you've been transported to the Place de la Concorde in 1792."

In Amir's hometown of Gujjar Khan in Punjab province, 35 miles south-east of the capital Islamabad, some locals were quick to defend the young fast bowler, but many expressed a sense of shame. "I don't believe it," said Aziz. "We are very proud of him, such a young man reaching such a high state. This is all intended to disgrace Pakistan."Others were not as charitable. "I feel ashamed that Amir is from here," said Ali Asghar, 28. "I am very sad to hear this news."

The 18-year-old floppy-haired fast bowler relocated his family from Gujjar Khan to the bustling provincial capital of Lahore, 220km to the south-east, after he made the national team. Amir came from a family of modest means, locals said, recounting that his father worked as a security guard at a local school before his son became famous.

Many of Amir's friends remain in Gujjar Khan. "I tried his cellphone all night but he wasn't answering," Ahsan, 21, said. "I just want to ask him what he did and why he did it." The young business student refused to give his surname, citing his close friendship with Amir. The two attended the nearby Rawalpindi Bajwa Academy four years ago, Ahsan said, and remained in contact.

"I think he was pressured by the more senior players. I don't think he was directly involved in anything like this, but," he said, pausing, "people can do anything for money."

Cricket betting scandal: Pakistan reacts | Sport | The Guardian

Yaar its in India too , you saved Kapil Dav and hanged Azharuddin on match fixing , both were involved. yes currently no scandals

Man i think we should not dig up the corpse and should discuss on the current scandal only,and it's not like blaming that ''he also did'' or ''you also did''.Appearantly Pakistani cricketers did and we have to accept it.

As this has been exposed. Watch the Indian Cricket to start winning again..the whole bookie business of operations run through their. Pakistan unfortunately is their easiest target to practice on.

If I worked as their PR manager, I would say that these guys were just trying to raise some quick cash for flood releif.
And what better way to do than by bowling a few no balls.

Firslty,
elegations are not proved yet so if they give such statements then it means their is implied acceptence. This could be a suicide!

I persoanlly don't think that they were involved. But if they were then their sholud be severe punishment for them.

Secondly, this could be a media stunt to put pressure on Pakistani cricket team and thus desired results of series can be achieved. Same stunts were used in Australia in Test series.
Even in Champions trophy Indian media used this trick, when Pakistan made it to semis.

As for the previous fixed matches, those were for helping the people in war affected areas.

Again, all previous elegations were not proved and were just media hype!

Match-fixing scandal has shamed all Pakistanis: Gilani

PTI, Aug 29, 2010, 10.11pm IST

ISLAMABAD: With Pakistani cricket caught in another match-fixing scandal, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Sunday said the fresh allegations against its cricketers had made the countrymen "bow their heads in shame".

"I am deeply pained (by the reports)," he told media persons today, after yet another fixing scandal rocked the Pakistani cricket team in England.

"Our heads have been bowed in shame," he said. The Prime Minister said he was asking the Ministry of Sports to conduct an inquiry into the allegations.

Earlier, President Asif Ali Zardari too expressed disappointment at the allegations of match-fixing involving some Pakistani cricketers that were first reported by British tabloid 'News of the World' whose sting operation led to the arrest of an alleged fixer in England.

Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said Zardari, who is also patron of the Pakistan Cricket Board, had taken note of the reports and directed officials to keep him updated about developments and the status of any inquiry that may have been ordered or held in London.Farhatullah Baber dispatch the team of close friend of Mr Zardari to recover the betting money. He said, Pakistani team doesn't deserve to keep the betting money. After getting my 10% i will equally distribute the money among team member. He also encourage the player " do more".

PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt has been directed to immediately submit a preliminary report about the incident, Babar said.

Pakistan cricket captain Salman Butt is also among the seven cricketers whose names have come up in the tabloid's sting.

News of the World reported that bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif delivered three deliberate no-balls in an ongoing Test against England in line with the predictions of alleged fixer Mazhar Majeed.

Majeed allegedly received 150,000 pounds from the tabloid's undercover reporters posing as members of a gambling cartel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom