What's new

Spanish Navy selling 1/3rd of ships

Penguin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Los planes del Ministerio de Defensa para vender a terceros buques de la Armada española

For sale, starting with:
1x coast guard patrol boat P-114
1x Chilreu class patrol boat
3x Anaga class OPV
4x Decubierta class corvette
1x Mine Action Force Command and Support ships (modified Decubierta class)
1x Rescue ship Neptune (submarine rescue)
2x Antares Hydrographic ship
3x Galerna class subs (aka Agosta 70, slighty newer than those of PN)

@Penguin : Most of these boats are pre-90s...right ? Could the PN be interested in any of these ?

I mean we can manufacture 90Bs at home or with respect to the Corvettes/OPVs when we've got the Azmats & the F-22Ps that we can manufacture at the Karachi Ship Yards with a modernized version of the F-22Ps projected to come along !

Last edited by a moderator:
@Penguin : Most of these boats are pre-90s...right ? Could the PN be interested in any of these ?

I mean we can manufacture 90Bs at home or with respect to the Corvettes/OPVs when we've got the Azmats & the F-22Ps that we can manufacture at the Karachi Ship Yards with a modernized version of the F-22Ps projected to come along !

CAN (but money will determine if you WILL)!

You have to consider that while Pakistan can apparently manufacture 90B, it meanwhile has not opted to go ahead an build more (and declined Scorpene, sought U214, and will apparently acquire chinese subs). Additional 90Bs and new Chinese subs may still be far off in the future. In the meantime, 3 additional Agosta 70s would very rapidly growth the sub fleet from 5 to 8. Not a bad interim solution.
As for those Descubierta´s, yeah they are relatively old, but substantially larger than Azmat, more heavily armed and helicopter capable (i.e. complementary rather than substitute). Meanwhile, they are substantially smaller than F22p, but not much less equipped (i.e. between inner and outer layer, resp. Azmat and F22P). PLus, while PN has 3 MCM ship, it doesn´t currently have an MCM support ship.

Spanish Navy, built by Cartagena dockyard
Galerna (S 71) - completed 1983 - in service
Siroco (S 72) - completed 1983 - decommissioned 2012
Mistral (S 73) - completed 1985 - in service
Tramontana (S 74) - completed 1985 - in service

Ship Pennant number Builder Commissioned Current Status
Diana F32 Cartagena 30 June 1979 Transformed to MCM support ship M-11
Infanta Elena F33 Cartagena 12 April 1980 In service as patrol craft P-76
Infanta Cristina F34 Cartagena 24 November 1980 In service as patrol craft P-77
Cazadora F35 Ferrol 2 July 1981 In service as patrol craft P-78
Vencedora F36 Ferrol 27 March 1982 In service as patrol craft P-79

India should step in and acquire those three subs and submarine rescue ship before it falls into wrong hands. ;)

All those ships and submarines will be more than 30 years old when they are finally sold. Its more like a junk yard sale :lol:

You consider your contemporay P16 Godavari´s as junk? Also, while the ships of P16A are newer, they are not necessarily much more modern. And what about your INS Viraat (commissioned RN 1959, decommed and trasnferred to IN 1987, at age 28: still in service today at age 53, est. retirement 2020 at age 61).

India should step in and acquire those three subs and submarine rescue ship before it falls into wrong hands. ;)

You should stay out of MY thread.

@Penguin : I hear you but don't you think that :

(a) I thought that PN was thinking of replacing the Agosta 70s ! Do you think it would make sense to acquire 3 of them seeing that they'd be eventually replaced in a few years time; I don't know what the price structure would be but would it make sense to spend even $100 or $300 million on their acquisition considering that we're already cash strapped on one hand & our foreign exchange reserves are pretty tight right now to spend precious American Dollars on the acquisition of a platform that may not see the light of the day past 2016-18.

And (b) On the Corvettes - This is a fairly old platform that maybe better armed than the Azmat Class FACs/Patrol Boats but shouldn't the cost of the maintenance of a 30 year old platform & its obsolesence in the near future along with the logistical & operational costs that go with it even if one were to ignore their unit costs & 'our forex reserves', be enough to off-set the probable advantages that its acquisition accrues. Shouldn't going for more F-22Ps, more of their advanced versions, more Azmats & perhaps exploring an advanced version with perhaps some of the technologies/capabilities from the new Chinese corvette (Type 56D...is it ?) being devolved to a newer version of that Azmat Class FACs in the same fashion of how the F-22Ps were conceived is a better bet than going for these platforms ?

I would think that whatever cash we have to spare should be spent on the Chinese platforms & the possible acquisition of more OHPs if possible !

What do you say ?

Shoot! I was hoping for there LHD or Aircraft carrier :D

Well, that's one interesting aspect of the 'for sale' list: Principe d'Asturias is NOT put up for sale (just yet) and neither are any Santa Maria class (Spanish OHP) frigates. It suggests hope of retaining those in reserve (which leaves leasing as still an option)

@Penguin : I hear you but don't you think that :

What do you say ?

I agree those subs and corvettes are long in the teeth and that newer hulls would be preferable, even if that would mean a lesser capability.

This just because of the fact that future navies will be formed mostly on Subs and w should try to think seriously on that too. We still have a great chance to talk to Germans and join the program of SSKs and smaller SSKs (Andrasta type) with Germans.

I think the PN can go for the subs as it already has the infrastructure and training & support in place for these Agostas.
@Penguin
How much will the subs cost?

Back
Top Bottom