What's new

South Korea is eyeing a deal to buy 120 F-16s

South Korean military is led by an American general, the Americans officially lead the SK army. No way will they accept Russian weapons.

LCA was designed as a fighter. FA-50 is a spin-off of the T-50 Advanced Jet Trainer. It does have a decent strike capability but it cannot match against a dedicated fighter. On paper LCA has the edge.
Same primary sensor > Elta 2032
Better missiles > Aim 120
Better how?

Same primary sensor > Elta 2032
Better missiles > Aim 120
Better how?

Range and payload. I doubt if the FA-50 can fly fully equipped with BVR missiles. It is a more armed version of an AJT. The BAE Hawk can also be armed as a light strike aircraft, it cannot however replace the Tornado/Jaguar aircraft.

Of course the LCA is yet to be inducted but on paper LCA has the edge.

Range and payload.
All our fanboy VS. predictions are on paper, so leave that
Range - Tejas: 850 KM *throws up inside his mouth* FA-50 1850 KM
Payload - Tejas 3500 KG FA-50 3740 KG
BVR - Neither can carry for now,
Tejas likely to end up with R-73, Derby, Python
FA-50 with AIM-120C, AIM-9X

80 units of what and for whom ?

KFX/IFX for Indonesian Air Force, South Korea still hold previous number for 120 KFX

9.jpg

Buy F-22s
No one can buy F-22, its not for sale.

A good choice indeed F-16 is one of the best. South Koreans already have F-16s so they wont need a lot of training and would easily adjust newer ones. Going for a new platform whether Su-30 or Gripen wont be a wise thing to do it would require training for the pilots and it would take time for the pilots to get used to the new planes.
Yes South Korea is rich and can afford any 4th or 4.5 gen aircraft available in the market. But as I said newer platform would need time and time is something on one can buy.

All our fanboy VS. predictions are on paper, so leave that
Range - Tejas: 850 KM *throws up inside his mouth* FA-50 1850 KM
Payload - Tejas 3500 KG FA-50 3740 KG
BVR - Neither can carry for now,
Tejas likely to end up with R-73, Derby, Python
FA-50 with AIM-120C, AIM-9X

I don't know where you got your stats from but they are inaccurate to say the least.

Tejas has a crew of one and has a range of 3,000 km, it is meant to be deployed as a point air defence interceptor. FA-50 has a crew of two and range of 1850 km, it is meant as a light strike aircraft. Both aircraft have different roles and can't be compared for the simple reason one cannot compare F-16 and A-10.

Tejas has a maximum take off weight of 13 tonnes while FA-50 has a take off weight of 12 tonnes.

Tejas carries the Astra, Derby, R-77 medium range/BVR missiles. While the FA-50 can carry AIM-120. However FA-50 is also desgned to carry Hydra 70 70 mm unguided rockets intended for ground strafing.

You need to check on the different mission parameters for the two aircraft before you start your comparison charts. If you want to compare LCA then compare it with FC-1 or the Grippen. And while you are at it cut down on your attitude and debate in a proper manner.

KFX/IFX for Indonesian Air Force, South Korea still hold previous number for 120 KFX

9.jpg

South Korea was planning on their own stealth aircraft. However latest reports suggest that the plan might be put on the back burner.

South Korea was planning on their own stealth aircraft. However latest reports suggest that the plan might be put on the back burner.

The regulation impose a condition to have 2 bidder, thats why this news is coming out, but it is a false news. Korean Air and Airbus will be another bidder to make KFX/IFX (And Not F-16 / How come Airbus want to make F-16 :D ), the first bidder is KIA (and Lockheed Martin). First bidding was failed after another bidder didnt come out, right now the second bidding has already started, and if KIA is still the only one, the next bidding (third) will allow the program to continue even though there is only one bidder coming out (KIA).

Last edited:
If Koreans wants to upgrade their Fleet then why dont they do it with F15s instead of F16s? F15s are also Superior Platform in terms of BVR and which can help South Koria in development of KFX Fighter Program.

South Korea eyeing deal to buy 120 F-16s - Business Insider
  • Feb. 23, 2015, 2:03 PM

Seoul (AFP) - Korean Air and European aerospace giant Airbus have signed an agreement to jointly bid for an $8-billion fighter jet project, a company spokesman said Sunday, pitting the pair against a Lockheed Martin, Korea Aerospace Industries team-up.

The project is designed to develop and produce 120 F-16 fighter jets to replace the country's ageing fleet of F-4s and F-5s.

"We've signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus," a Korean Air spokesman told AFP.

One of the conditions of the bid is that local enterprises should tie up with foreign companies to secure technological assistance, according to Seoul's Yonhap news agency.

The pair will compete with Korea Aerospace Industries which has teamed up with America's Lockheed Martin.

South Korea's Defence Acquisition Programme Administration plans to announce the final winner in July.

The country's military has overwhelmingly chosen US suppliers in the past, especially where the airforce is concerned, reflecting their close military alliance.

But Airbus has also made a number of bids for the South's military contracts in recent years, including a $1.38 billion deal to provide air fuelling tankers. The final bidder for the deal has not been chosen yet.

Waste of money. They should go for 5th Gen.

Waste of money. They should go for 5th Gen.
It isnt because it has got local Manufacturing with it but F16 isnt their deal instead they should have gone towards more powerful F15 which would Boost their 5th Gen program.

South Korean military is led by an American general, the Americans officially lead the SK army. No way will they accept Russian weapons.

Obviously, you don't know the equipment composition of the South Korean military but that's okay since I don't know much about India either. 8-)

This is a summary of Russian platforms or joint production versions that are in active service with South Korea's military. ROKA uses 33 T-80U and 2 T-80UK as "practice adversary platforms" during training operations. ROKA also has another 70 BMP-3 that are used by unspecified ROK units. ROKA uses the Metis-M anti-tank missiles and SA-16 Igla 1-E air defense missiles as secondaries with indigenously developed versions used as primaries. The KCG (ROK's Coast Guard) also uses 8 KA-32C helicopters in search-and-rescue roles. In addition, we also developed the Cheolmae 2 middle-tier ballistic interceptor (otherwise known as KM-SAM) and are currently developing the Cheolmae 4-H upper-tier interceptor system. All Cheolmae ballistic interceptors are based on the Russian S-400 platform.

A story on how the Cheolmae interceptors were developed.
Cheolmae II M-SAM Medium Surface to Air Missile

Look through this list and tell me if you can see any Russian exported systems that I mentioned.
List of equipment of the Republic of Korea Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the Americans will only lead the ROK in the event of war with North Korea (impossibly unlikely because of the regime change threat.) The Americans will never lead the ROK in contingencies where its none of ROK's business such as a Chinese invasion of the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands or if they decided to invade another Middle East country. Just because an American gets command of SK's military in one military contingency doesn't mean the Americans and South Koreans are involved in every military contingency imaginable. This isn't the thread to have a lengthy debate about this but I would appreciate it if you didn't make such sweeping generalizations about my people. Nothing personal, mate. :dirol:

Last edited:
South Korea eyeing deal to buy 120 F-16s - Business Insider
  • Feb. 23, 2015, 2:03 PM

Seoul (AFP) - Korean Air and European aerospace giant Airbus have signed an agreement to jointly bid for an $8-billion fighter jet project, a company spokesman said Sunday, pitting the pair against a Lockheed Martin, Korea Aerospace Industries team-up.

The project is designed to develop and produce 120 F-16 fighter jets to replace the country's ageing fleet of F-4s and F-5s.

"We've signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus," a Korean Air spokesman told AFP.

One of the conditions of the bid is that local enterprises should tie up with foreign companies to secure technological assistance, according to Seoul's Yonhap news agency.

The pair will compete with Korea Aerospace Industries which has teamed up with America's Lockheed Martin.

South Korea's Defence Acquisition Programme Administration plans to announce the final winner in July.

The country's military has overwhelmingly chosen US suppliers in the past, especially where the airforce is concerned, reflecting their close military alliance.

But Airbus has also made a number of bids for the South's military contracts in recent years, including a $1.38 billion deal to provide air fuelling tankers. The final bidder for the deal has not been chosen yet.

They should have gone with the T-50s.

T-50goldeneagle4[1].JPG

LCA was designed as a fighter. FA-50 is a spin-off of the T-50 Advanced Jet Trainer. It does have a decent strike capability but it cannot match against a dedicated fighter. On paper LCA has the edge.

Actually US only led one joint division that secure the DMZ, korean soldier served in that division were under US command. Other Korean division were the responsibility of Korean Command, not US.

KATUSA allow about a brigade strength Korean Troop serve Under 2ID.

And South Korea uses Russian tank and helicopter as well.

Obviously, you don't know the equipment composition of the South Korean military but that's okay since I don't know much about India either. 8-)

This is a summary of Russian platforms or joint production versions that are in active service with South Korea's military. ROKA uses 33 T-80U and 2 T-80UK as "practice adversary platforms" during training operations. ROKA also has another 70 BMP-3 that are used by unspecified ROK units. ROKA uses the Metis-M anti-tank missiles and SA-16 Igla 1-E air defense missiles as secondaries with indigenously developed versions used as primaries. The KCG (ROK's Coast Guard) also uses 8 KA-32C helicopters in search-and-rescue roles. In addition, we also developed the Cheolmae 2 middle-tier ballistic interceptor (otherwise known as KM-SAM) and are currently developing the Cheolmae 4-H upper-tier interceptor system. All Cheolmae ballistic interceptors are based on the Russian S-400 platform.

A story on how the Cheolmae interceptors were developed.
Cheolmae II M-SAM Medium Surface to Air Missile

Look through this list and tell me if you can see any Russian exported systems that I mentioned.
List of equipment of the Republic of Korea Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the Americans will only lead the ROK in the event of war with North Korea (impossibly unlikely because of the regime change threat.) The Americans will never lead the ROK in contingencies where its none of ROK's business such as a Chinese invasion of the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands or if they decided to invade another Middle East country. Just because an American gets command of SK's military in one military contingency doesn't mean the Americans and South Koreans are involved in every military contingency imaginable. This isn't the thread to have a lengthy debate about this but I would appreciate it if you didn't make such sweeping generalizations about my people. Nothing personal, mate. :dirol:

Last time I checked the head of SK military was an American. Being a general the American obviously does not have the political power to declare war or deploy korean troops on war front. But if SK is ever in war then it will be lead by an American general. Correct me if I am wrong.

Second the Sk have NK equipment where they use it in the war games. I would be surprised if they have Russian made weapons in their active arsenal. Very few US allies are allowed to have Russian equipment.

I know your response is nothing personal and I appreciate that. You just repeated what I said though your choice of words were different.

Back
Top Bottom