What's new

South Korea is eyeing a deal to buy 120 F-16s

so wait they are going to replace a light/cheap fighter with a light/expensive fighter??
aren't they going to be buying the F-35 in the future??? so what would the point be for the F-16??

So eventually they will get ~300 F-16s of many blocks.

Korea should go for f-35's as they can afford it.
They aint that poor to opt for f-16's.

you guys are talking based on false news, look at first page please. And yes South Korea has already ordered for around 34 (or maybe 45 ? I forgot ) F-35.

Airbus make F-16 :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
South Korea eyeing deal to buy 120 F-16s - Business Insider
  • Feb. 23, 2015, 2:03 PM

Seoul (AFP) - Korean Air and European aerospace giant Airbus have signed an agreement to jointly bid for an $8-billion fighter jet project, a company spokesman said Sunday, pitting the pair against a Lockheed Martin, Korea Aerospace Industries team-up.

The project is designed to develop and produce 120 F-16 fighter jets to replace the country's ageing fleet of F-4s and F-5s.

"We've signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus," a Korean Air spokesman told AFP.

One of the conditions of the bid is that local enterprises should tie up with foreign companies to secure technological assistance, according to Seoul's Yonhap news agency.

The pair will compete with Korea Aerospace Industries which has teamed up with America's Lockheed Martin.

South Korea's Defence Acquisition Programme Administration plans to announce the final winner in July.

The country's military has overwhelmingly chosen US suppliers in the past, especially where the airforce is concerned, reflecting their close military alliance.

But Airbus has also made a number of bids for the South's military contracts in recent years, including a $1.38 billion deal to provide air fuelling tankers. The final bidder for the deal has not been chosen yet.

Why not Buy USAF used ones.

you mean FA-50??
F-16 outclasses the FA-50 in every category.

Sure it does, however the purpose is to replace the low end F-5s and F-4s, just like PAF is replacing Mirages/F-7/A-5s with JF-17 jets while we maintain a sizeable F-16 fleet.

Sure it does, however the purpose is to replace the low end F-5s and F-4s, just like PAF is replacing Mirages/F-7/A-5s with JF-17 jets while we maintain a sizeable F-16 fleet.

ehh, when it comes down to it when shtf would you rather have 120+ FA-50s or 120 F-16s?? NK is very belliegerent and I wouldn't be surprised within the next 5 years a major war erupts between the 2.

if I was SK I would get 120 SU-30MK2s

ehh, when it comes down to it when shtf would you rather have 120+ FA-50s or 120 F-16s?? NK is very belliegerent and I wouldn't be surprised within the next 5 years a major war erupts between the 2.

if I was SK I would get 120 SU-30MK2s
120 Gripens sounds better. Sukhoi is more likely to be costlier and maintenance-heavy with low sortie rate as compared to F-16.

120 Gripens sounds better. Sukhoi is more likely to be costlier and maintenance-heavy with low sortie rate as compared to F-16.
koreans aren't poor they can afford the best.

su-30 comes with a fear factor. NK, China, and even Japan would be wary.

koreans aren't poor they can afford the best.

su-30 comes with a fear factor. NK, China, and even Japan would be wary.
They are allies with America. Thousands of American troops are based there.
No way Russia will sell them such stuff.
China already has Su 30, plus they are apparently besties with the Ruskies so why would they be scared of it. NK's AF sucks. Even Pakistan can scare them.
Plus they aren't that 'rich'. Already spending 2.5% of GDP with only $30 bn budget. Not to mention they have committed to that white elephant F 35.

They are allies with America. Thousands of American troops are based there.
No way Russia will sell them such stuff.
China already has Su 30, plus they are apparently besties with the Ruskies so why would they be scared of it. NK's AF sucks. Even Pakistan can scare them.
Plus they aren't that 'rich'. Already spending 2.5% of GDP with only $30 bn budget. Not to mention they have committed to that white elephant F 35.

Russia has offered korea Su-35 :cheesy: and has offered top of the line SAMs as well.

Back
Top Bottom