What's new

South Korea: Dependence in the Age of OPCON

Hahaha... That is a nice smart comment I like it.
This comment is 100xmuch smarter than previous comments I saw.
Let me say... Thank you......
For the first time you start to talk like real politicians.

hahaha
Thanx for your offer. We are also a dignity country that must solve our problem by our own.
If we accept this, we are showing to them that we are weak. This will invite more of them to come.
check this map: Aon is a risk consulting firm. Its reports and assessments are very creditable.
Aon Political Risk Map: Europe Improves; Terrorism Threatens Retail, Transportation Sectors | PropertyCasualty360

VN is even more safer than France and Spain. Japan is the safest country in Asia.
Allying with VN has benefits. It´s all about cooperations between sovereign nations. Think about it.

aon-2.png

Last edited:
@Red Mahura , please share your view about the concept(s) and processes being discussed here. We would be honored to having the Korean point of view in our midst.

Thank You.

@Red Mahura , please share your view about the concept(s) and processes being discussed here. We would be honored to having the Korean point of view in our midst.

Thank You.
Nihonjin san as you know, about 2~3 months before in May, president Park Geun Hye met Barack Obama while his visit to Korea, made a discussion with him and decided to postpone the return of wartime OPCON from 2015 to 2018~2020.
Though the public opinion was quite negative about it, this was convincing or even obvious choice regarding the fact that ROK still lacks it's ability of ISR. You have mentioned that ROK is dependent on US and yes, that is true but more over, the postpone of return of OPCON is because of the fact that Korean dependency of non-wartime / wartime ISR information heavily depend on US ; more than 70% as I guess. Korea currently doesn't have any kind of MALE or HALE UAVs nor amount of surveillance aircraft or satellite like KH-12 / 3 or U-2. There are only 3 Korean COMPSAT (Arrirang 아리랑 / 다목적실용위성) series satellite that can be used to observe N.Korea or nearby neighbored countries and only COMPSAT-5 ( 아리랑 5호 / 다목적실용위성 5호) satellite is equiped with SAR (1m resolution). Also the 8 Hawker 800XP purchased and is being used as 4 Geumgang (금강 정찰기) SAR surveillance aircraft and 4 Baekdu (백두 정찰기) SIGNT surveillance aircraft possesses several problems as the base aircraft, Hawker 800PX aren't capable to be used as reconnaissance aircraft.

Currently, Ministry of Defense is planning to purchase 4 manned reconnaissance aircraft to replace 8 Geumgang / Baekdu reconnaissance aircraft (Dassault Falcon 2000), 4 RQ-4 Global Hawk block 30 or 40, i.e. Also the development of MUAV is going on and there is several other UAVs like TR-9X ( tilt-rotor uav known as "smart UAV") and KUS-9 under development. Talking about satellite, ministry of defense announced that they will launch 5 or more military satellites around 2020 (as it is known as 'heavier than 1.5 tons' I guess it is COMPSAT - 6 or 7 or maybe it can be some other satellite). So after 2020, ROK will also gain it's self ISR ability which they will no longer need OPCON. Actually it is known as that USA doesn't want the OPCON but S.Korea does and ah I guess, USA will also welcome the return of OPCON.

@Nihonjin1051

Moreover, Talking about Korea - Japan relationships, it is economic revival of Japan to end this cruel relationships between two. As far as I know, the anti-Korean symptom and reactions has started since 1990, when the Japanese 'lost 10 years' (though, now its lost 30 years D: ) started after the break of the bubble economy. Korea's anti-Japan symptom was also dwindling to nothing after Kim Dae Jung's administration when he widely opened the door between Japan and Korea. Japanese culture influenced otakus were also created and people started to buy Japanese products, though the emotion of anti-Japan once showed up since 2000s.
Like as you mentioned above, there were several tries of making close relationship between the two like Korea - Japan Comprehensive Military Information Protection Agreement which make both Korea and Japan to share the information about N.Korea. Also, annually both countries carry out celebration of special days like the JSDF Organization day celebrated in Lotte Hotel in S.Korea (important Korean figures also takes place) (though this time it has been cancelled by cruel misunderstandings of media and citizens + the current atmosphere worse than before between Korea and Japan. I apologize this as Korean, to you and every Japanese who sees this thread.) or commemoration of the memorial day that takes place in Japan (Also important Japanese figures of JSDF takes place). Also when Korea and Japan bought the SPY-1D Aegis Radars, they bought this as group purchase.
Even though I just wrote it really simple, this is a really complicated and important problem that should be solved.

I hope that one day, I would be able to see Japan-Korea cooperative R&D on weapons and close political / economical / military alliance between them. Who knows? maybe the F-4 / KFXX will be cooperative fighter jet program of Korea and Japan?

I hope that one day, I would be able to see Japan-Korea cooperative R&D on weapons and close political / economical / military alliance between them. Who knows? maybe the F-4 / KFXX will be cooperative fighter jet program of Korea and Japan?
Being a Korean you should know that it is not possible in the foreseeable future.

@Nihonjin1051

Moreover, Talking about Korea - Japan relationships, it is economic revival of Japan to end this cruel relationships between two. As far as I know, the anti-Korean symptom and reactions has started since 1990, when the Japanese 'lost 10 years' (though, now its lost 30 years D: ) started after the break of the bubble economy. Korea's anti-Japan symptom was also dwindling to nothing after Kim Dae Jung's administration when he widely opened the door between Japan and Korea. Japanese culture influenced otakus were also created and people started to buy Japanese products, though the emotion of anti-Japan once showed up since 2000s.
Like as you mentioned above, there were several tries of making close relationship between the two like Korea - Japan Comprehensive Military Information Protection Agreement which make both Korea and Japan to share the information about N.Korea. Also, annually both countries carry out celebration of special days like the JSDF Organization day celebrated in Lotte Hotel in S.Korea (important Korean figures also takes place) (though this time it has been cancelled by cruel misunderstandings of media and citizens + the current atmosphere worse than before between Korea and Japan. I apologize this as Korean, to you and every Japanese who sees this thread.) or commemoration of the memorial day that takes place in Japan (Also important Japanese figures of JSDF takes place). Also when Korea and Japan bought the SPY-1D Aegis Radars, they bought this as group purchase.
Even though I just wrote it really simple, this is a really complicated and important problem that should be solved.

o_O:crazy:

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

Ilbon gwa hangug eun chinguga doel su issneunga? Jijeong hagjeog eulo ulineum gat eun gwansim eul gajigo.

Kamsa hamnida.

Just ignore him. That kind of person is who I am talking about. Cannot understand the phrase, just being very emotional. I was being very neutral in this post, mentioning that both Korea and Japan's military celebration (like the Memorial day of S.Korea and Organization Day of JSDF) is annually taking place in both countries and this year, the celebration of JSDF to be held in Lotte hotel, South Korea was cancelled do to opposition of Korean citizens. Yes there is so called 'conservative swing' going on (this is how Korean call the current political move of Japan) and 'right of collective self-defense' has taken effect since July 1st, though there is low possibility of war between Korea and Japan due to alliance with USA.

@sEoulman556

shame on you:blah:

Just ignore him. That kind of person are who I am talking about. Cannot understand the phrase, just being very emotional. I was being very neutral in this post, mentioning that both Korea and Japan's military celebration (like the Memorial day of S.Korea and Organization Day of JSDF) is annually taking place in both countries and this year, the celebration of JSDF to be held in Lotte hotel, South Korea was cancelled do to opposition of Korean citizens. Yes there is so called 'conservative swing' going on (this is how Korean call the current political move of Japan) and 'right of collective self-defense' has taken effect since July 1st, though there is low possibility of war between Korea and Japan due to alliance with USA.

@sEoulman556

shame on you:blah:

I can understand the Korean nationalism and they have right to hold some issues on Japan's past in regards with Korea. But, we cannot create and maintain rapport and communication if we must always look back at the past. Japan had done a great injustice to Korea and Korean people in the last century. My x-gf was Korean , actually, and one thing that we talked about in depth was the history of our nation, and shared each others' views. There is much similarity between Korea and Korean people with Japan and Japanese people; we both are probably more closer to each other than any other in the world. Korea and Japan are industrious, honorable, and very proud people. I would even deign to say that Korea and Japan are like two brothers that have "feuding history", but in the end, we have to come together. I believe that Japan and Korea's geopolitical interests are intertwined, and if we can get past the historical issues, we are natural allies / partners.

Yes you are right about the JSDF anniversary and the hotel situation. I can understand the reason for Korea to do that, and this only emphasizes my point that there really has to be a final solution to this problem. Abe and Government need to abide by the spirit of the Kano agreement , and not only that, but compensate the Comfort Women victims. This is the leas that Japan can do, and would help in the healing between our two countries.

Our two countries have some territorial issues, in particular Takashima / Dokdo island, but that can be overlooked. As you probably know we recently had trilateral naval exercises this July. And this was long awaited since we had planned this since 2012 , but due to the Yasukuni shrine issue, was backlogged. I hope that Park and Abe can eventually induce communication with each other. And most of all, that Japan and Korea start to bridge differences, and focus on our strengths and similarities.

I am very hopeful. Korea and Japan are brothers...!

I can understand the Korean nationalism and they have right to hold some issues on Japan's past in regards with Korea. But, we cannot create and maintain rapport and communication if we must always look back at the past. Japan had done a great injustice to Korea and Korean people in the last century. My x-gf was Korean , actually, and one thing that we talked about in depth was the history of our nation, and shared each others' views. There is much similarity between Korea and Korean people with Japan and Japanese people; we both are probably more closer to each other than any other in the world. Korea and Japan are industrious, honorable, and very proud people. I would even deign to say that Korea and Japan are like two brothers that have "feuding history", but in the end, we have to come together. I believe that Japan and Korea's geopolitical interests are intertwined, and if we can get past the historical issues, we are natural allies / partners.

Yes you are right about the JSDF anniversary and the hotel situation. I can understand the reason for Korea to do that, and this only emphasizes my point that there really has to be a final solution to this problem. Abe and Government need to abide by the spirit of the Kano agreement , and not only that, but compensate the Comfort Women victims. This is the leas that Japan can do, and would help in the healing between our two countries.

Our two countries have some territorial issues, in particular Takashima / Dokdo island, but that can be overlooked. As you probably know we recently had trilateral naval exercises this July. And this was long awaited since we had planned this since 2012 , but due to the Yasukuni shrine issue, was backlogged. I hope that Park and Abe can eventually induce communication with each other. And most of all, that Japan and Korea start to bridge differences, and focus on our strengths and similarities.

I am very hopeful. Korea and Japan are brothers...!

To me, your the first Japanese to talk neutrally about Japan-Korea relationships. Many times I met Japanese people in the internet, though we never talked about Japan-Korea relation ship or our history, even a word. Very miserable, it harms the relationship between Japanese and Korean when talking about the relationship between both countries or our history though I am glad to see that you're a person who can take care of that and consideration for Koreans. ^^

I was once a very very anti-Japan person, though growing up and studying in different countries thus getting interest in Japanese culture removed my anti-Japan like way of thinking. Still as Korean, sometimes I am being angry to Japanese government and hate net-rightist / extreme right. Though now I know that most of the Japanese hate extreme rights, I have opened my mind.

Last edited:
To me, your the first Japanese to talk neutrally about Japan-Korea relationships. Many times I met Japanese people in the internet, though we never talked about Japan-Korea relation ship or our history, even a word. Very miserable, it harms the relationship between Japanese and Korean when talking about the relationship between both countries or our history though I am glad to see that you're a person who can take care of that and consideration for Koreans. ^^

I was once a very very anti-Japan person, though growing up and studying in different countries thus getting interest in Japanese culture removed my anti-Japan like way of thinking. Still as Korean, sometimes I am being angry to Japanese government and hate net-rightist / extreme right. Though now I know that most of the Japanese hate extreme rights, I have opened my mind.

Hi @Red Mahura ,

Glad to meet you here too, man. I notice that , especially here in PDF, there are very few Korean and Japanese posters. Been looking to interact with Korean defense participants , and am glad to meet you because you are very well educated about systems, and very balanced in view. What i really admire about Korean people is that they all serve in the military , correct me if i am wrong, but isn't it mandatory that all South Korean men serve in the military for 2 years? I had a very good friend couple of years back who had studied in the states for 2 years, but he had to return to SK to serve in the army. He recently came back to the states to finish his junior year. Had the pleasure to talk to him about his experience in serving in the ROKA, all he said was "g-damn km jung il" ha ha ^^

About the right wing, we call them,右翼団体, and they are fringe groups. Think of it this way, there are 128 million Japanese, but the uyoku dantai groups only make up 100,000 people. Unfortunately, media and reporters focus on them because they are so loud and histrionic in appearance. In my opinion, they are not only stupid but very closed minded.

I served in JMSDF for a bit, so that is why my interest is on navy, navy news. How about you? Did you serve in ROKAF, ROKN, ROKA? I see you're in Germany. Liking it there? :-)

Ilbon gwa hangug eun chinguga doel su issneunga? Jijeong hagjeog eulo ulineum gat eun gwansim eul gajigo.

Kamsa hamnida.

Let me be clear, Nippon. I don't consider you a friend (and Japanese people as a whole) even if we have mutual good friends like the Turks or the same security alliance with the Americans.

Japan has some peculiar definitions of whats a chingu. If this is what Japan does to its "friends", it goes without saying that my people want no part of it. However, keep trying to "friend" my people to see how we'll lash out.

Japan asks South Korea to lift ban on seafood products ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

This is on top of Japan's refusal to negotiate regarding the colonisation era and WW 2.

Btw, you can converse with me in English since your typing of my language sounds garbled (no offence). It's not like I can't understand "Ingrish, lol."

@Red Mahura

:omghaha::rofl:
Tell that to our murdered ancestors that those Nippons have callously killed (Admiral Yi Sun Shin, Empress Myeongseong, along with many others)

well those the typical South Korean reaction i've encountered in many discussion when we are suddenly bringing Japan into conversations.

Back
Top Bottom