What's new

Source: India Needs $233B in Next 11 Years To Buy Weapons

c-dome1

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Source: India Needs $233B in Next 11 Years To Buy Weapons
By: Vivek Raghuvanshi, September 8, 2016 (Photo Credit: Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)
NEW DELHI — India needs $233 billion to meet its weapons and equipment requirements in the next 11 years, according to the Long Term Integrated Perspective Plan (LTIPP) for 2012-2027, an Indian Ministry of Defense (MoD) source has revealed. However, there's division over whether India will be able to meet the funding need.

The list of the weapons and equipment needed for India's armed forces translates to a cost of $233 billion. According to the MoD source, the money will come from the country's procurement budget, Capital Head.

To meet the funding target, India will need to increase defense spending at an annual rate of more than 10 percent.

The funding allocation in the Capital Head for 2016-2017 is $37.94 billion, which works out to an increase of 2.3 percent in rupee terms against last year's funding allocation. However, in US dollar terms, it was a 10 percent drop compared to last year's allocation of $42.1 billion because of the depreciating Indian rupee against the dollar.

"Given the depreciating Indian rupee and near-stagnant in fund allocation in the last two years, it is unlikely that there would be an annual increase of more than 11 percent to meet the target of $233 billion set by LTIPP for the next 11 years," said Nitin Mehta, an India-based defense analyst.

However, Amit Cowshish, MoD's former financial adviser, is confident India will fulfill the planned requirements. "The amount of US $233 billion works out to approximately 15,000000 million Indian rupees. The current year's allocation for capital acquisitions is around 70,0000 million rupees. Taking this as the base and assuming a reasonable yearly growth of 10 to 11 percent, the total allocation over the next 11 years would anyway be close to 15,00,0000 million rupees. So any acquisition plan that is based on this financial assumption would be quite realistic."

LTIPP lists the purchase of 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, nearly 100 single-engine fighter jets, more than 120 twin-engine fighter aircraft and an aircraft carrier, according to the MoD source said.

Mehta emphasized the importance of meeting these LTIPP requirements.

There are several projects that have been awaiting finalization by the MoD for the last three to four years, including the purchase of 36 Rafale fighters from France; the acquisition of 56 Airbus C-295 transport aircraft; the license production for Kamov 226 helicopters in India; the purchase of 145 ultralight howitzer artillery guns from the United States; the purchase of 100 155mm tracked artillery guns; the purchase of 280 aero engines from Honeywell for the British-built Jaguar aircraft used by the Indian Air Force; and the purchase of five units of Russian-made S-400 advanced air defense systems cleared by the ministry's Defence Acquisition Council.
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/source-india-needs-233b-in-next-11-years-to-buy-weapons

But India has 400 billion dollars in the reserves.

And a 2,5 trillion gdp.

235 billion over 11 years I's only 25 billion dollars.per year

To the fastest growing economy in the top ten gdp on the planet it's peanuts

You can just add that to India's growing $485 billion external debt.
So what? Do you have anything else to add?

Among peers with high external debt China has $960 billion(They are still donating you CPEC aren't they), Mexico $433 billion, Turkey $408 billion, Brazil $557 billion and Malaysia $211 billion.
Our Forex at the time of this ext debt calculation was a comfortable 74.2%.

So what? Do you have anything else to add?

Among peers with high external debt China has $960 billion(They are still donating you CPEC aren't they), Mexico $433 billion, Turkey $408 billion, Brazil $557 billion and Malaysia $211 billion.
Our Forex at the time of this ext debt calculation was a comfortable 74.2%.
Brother I agree that India's debt is not much worrisome as of now however, comparing it with China is stupidity .. CHina's economy is 5 time bigger than yours so debt as a percentage of GDP is small ... Furthermore, reserves of China are huge both in comparison to India and China's own debt ... So please dont make irrelevant comaprison ..

Brother I agree that India's debt is not much worrisome as of now however, comparing it with China is stupidity .. CHina's economy is 5 time bigger than yours so debt as a percentage of GDP is small ... Furthermore, reserves of China are huge both in comparison to India and China's own debt ... So please dont make irrelevant comaprison ..

I did not make any comparisons in the strictest sense. I just quoted a few other countries who also have high external debt. With no specific spotlight on China only.

In turn what you have done is brought a completely different angle to the discussion. Which shows your servitude mentality vis-a-vis your current economic masters.

On a different note you have discussed ext debt to GDP ratio. You know what is India's external debt to GDP ratio?
6 %

China's in 16 %.

Both comfortable. But, this is just a statistic. Which reveals nothing. We also have to see other parameters like how much other countries owe us. I could get into that. But, I think it will be lost on you.

Check this though. Ext debt to GDP ratio. Pakistan - 30 %.

I did not make any comparisons in the strictest sense. I just quoted a few other countries who also have high external debt. With no specific spotlight on China only.

In turn what you have done is brought a completely different angle to the discussion. Which shows your servitude mentality vis-a-vis your current economic masters.

On a different note you have discussed ext debt to GDP ratio. You know what is India's external debt to GDP ratio?
6 %

China's in 16 %.

Both comfortable. But, this is just a statistic. Which reveals nothing. We also have to see other parameters like how much other countries owe us. I could get into that. But, I think it will be lost on you.

Check this though. Ext debt to GDP ratio. Pakistan - 30 %.

You have no idea what are you talking about ... the figures you are quoting are totally incorrect ...

You have no idea how things work ... you are quoting figures of different countries ... pakistan external debt is 73 billion ... so is it good in comparison to india ? You dont know abc of economics ... and when i try to correct you by stating that comparing debt like that is incorrect you are coming with stupid remarks ... what make you thing i will be lost ? Do you know my profession and experience ... its like saying a physics doctor that if i discuss theory of relativity with tou you will be lost ...

You might be very good in quoting figures from internet but remember internet figures are not always correct ... just a small hint ... recheck the figures quotes by you even wikipedia will give more accurate figures than you quoted

When China's economy was India's scale, China's military was stagnant and she put almost every hard earned dollar in economic development and education.

You have no idea what are you talking about ... the figures you are quoting are totally incorrect ...

You have no idea how things work ... you are quoting figures of different countries ... pakistan external debt is 73 billion ... so is it good in comparison to india ? You dont know abc of economics ... and when i try to correct you by stating that comparing debt like that is incorrect you are coming with stupid remarks ... what make you thing i will be lost ? Do you know my profession and experience ... its like saying a physics doctor that if i discuss theory of relativity with tou you will be lost ...

You might be very good in quoting figures from internet but remember internet figures are not always correct ... just a small hint ... recheck the figures quotes by you even wikipedia will give more accurate figures than you quoted

Which figures are wrong?

Pakistan external debt is 73 billion
When did i say anything about that. I posted the ext debt to GDP ratio which is at 30%. Since you brought up that point in the previous post.

1st you talk about ext debt only without any tangible references & only a a standalone. When i bring in the ext debt to forex reserves you compare it with ext debt to gdp & then harp about your exp.

comparing debt like that is incorrect
I didn't compare apple with oranges. I didn't even compare. You my Dear Sir are the one who went into a China is 5 times this & that crap... thereby comparing.

Do you know my profession and experience
Why the hell would I care.

Last edited:
Which figures are wrong?

When did i say anything about that. I posted the ext debt to GDP ratio which is at 30%. Since you brought up that point in the previous post.

1st you talk about ext debt only without any tangible references & only a a standalone. When i bring in the ext debt to forex reserves you compare it with ext debt to gdp & then harp about your exp.

I didn't compare apple with oranges. I didn't even compare. You my Dear Sir are the one who went into a China is 5 times this & that crap... thereby comparing.

Why the f*** would i care.

Mind your language mr. All of the figures quoted in your text are wrong and your pretending to be economic hot shot ... if you dont know me then why the hell you state that i will not get what you are talking about ... ask any economist no one will access the economy based on debt alone .. whereas debt and reserves are seldom compare as a secondary indicator ...

Debt to gdp ratio is the most important indicator ...

You know nothing about economics ... and i know it ... any economist reading few lines of your post can easily understand you dont understan economics and instead of listening to others you are making stupid arguments ...

Dont quote me as its useless to argument stupids ... i will not respond to any of your future posts

china have 250% of gdp debt

As of March 2016, it stands at approximately CN¥ 28 trillion (US$ 4.3 trillion), equivalent to about 41% of GDP.

Even i am not good with mathematics but , China GDP was USD 11.4 trillion. and it's debt were USD 4.3 trillion. so how is it 250% of their GDP ? care to explain ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom