What's new

Sounds that will never be heard or was heard by Man!!

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
This just came to my mind while watching the Serial on TV "Cosmos". the presenter never mentioned what I was thinking, but was telling about the blasts in space, such as eruption in Sun, Nova, Supernova, Hyper nova(GRBs) and burping of Black hole after a heavy lunch!!

Then it came to my mind How frightening could it be, if we could heard those sounds? We have heard sounds of different Bombs, starting from fire crackers to Nuclear ones, the sound of super cyclones, sounds of Vulcano. But never the sounds of earth which also makes great sound while revolving. All kinds of Planets, their moons, stars, comets do make sounds.

we know we cannot hear those because sound does not travel in vacuum. But would it not be wonderful to record that somehow and hear it. I know we would all die if we can hear the actual sound. But to anyone's knowledge "Is there a way to record it?"

@Skull and Bones @DRAY @levina @Indischer @Dem!god @chak de INDIA @kbd-raaf @Sidak @SarthakGanguly @GreenFoe @ptltejas @BDforever @Talon @Koovie @Kaan @jbgt90 @scorpionx @Marshmallow and other science buffs!!

This just came to my mind while watching the Serial on TV "Cosmos". the presenter never mentioned what I was thinking, but was telling about the blasts in space, such as eruption in Sun, Nova, Supernova, Hyper nova(GRBs) and burping of Black hole after a heavy lunch!!

Then it came to my mind How frightening could it be, if we could heard those sounds? We have heard sounds of different Bombs, starting from fire crackers to Nuclear ones, the sound of super cyclones, sounds of Vulcano. But never the sounds of earth which also makes great sound while revolving. All kinds of Planets, their moons, stars, comets do make sounds.

we know we cannot hear those because sound does not travel in vacuum. But would it not be wonderful to record that somehow and hear it. I know we would all die if we can hear the actual sound. But to anyone's knowledge "Is there a way to record it?"

@Skull and Bones @DRAY @levina @Indischer @Dem!god @chak de INDIA @kbd-raaf @Sidak @SarthakGanguly @GreenFoe @ptltejas @BDforever @Talon @Koovie @Kaan @jbgt90 @scorpionx @Marshmallow and other science buffs!!

Well I am afraid I am not literate when it comes to astronomy ...However, I would like to say just as a Muslim- since we cant hear it ...it maybe for our own good?
As we are told we are given what is best for us...so if we are not given the ability to hear those sounds....maybe it is for our good?

But it is a good to ponder ... :tup:

Last edited:
Well I have very little knowledge about physics but if there is some form of medium in space sound waves could be carried, right? But the amount of medium is probably so small that it cant be recorded.

It is not a function of the physical mechanism of sound transmission. The real reason is the human perception that revolves around our senses. Since electromagnetic waves can travel through space, we can sense (see) them and thus can experience eruptions, blasts, etc... relating to cosmic events.

Wanting to experience these phenomena via our hearing sense is a natural impulse. But since sound waves can not travel across space, it is a pointless quest.

As Talon has pointed out, we humans are given only as much as we can handle. Allah's wisdom is enough for me. I am content.

watch brain game... that is more interesting program :enjoy:

@Skull and Bones @DRAY @levina @Indischer @Dem!god @chak de INDIA @kbd-raaf @Sidak @SarthakGanguly and other science buffs!!

You might like this :-)

The sound of a dying star – CNN Radio News - CNN.com Blogs

Imagine if we could hear it.... :whistle: We would go deaf from all the noise!
Something like what would happen if we have no atmosphere :D Or we see the entire spectrum of light - it will be damn confusing :D

Arrey, poochna kya chahte ho? :D

Ahh its just a fascination/wish...Wanted to hear those Boom Boom sound...:D

And as you do some research activities..may be you can suggest some method to record it?

Scientists sometimes back posted sounds of Sun or earlier universe, but it was like a hissing sound...no boom boom!!

Ahh its just a fascination/wish...Wanted to hear those Boom Boom sound...:D

And as you do some research activities..may be you can suggest some method to record it?

Scientists sometimes back posted sounds of Sun or earlier universe, but it was like a hissing sound...no boom boom!!

The only way to get the idea about the blast energy is to record the EM wave signature emitted from the source. Space is filled with such cosmic noise. The static you hear in your TV is actually those noise.

This is an interesting topic. First of all, it may be close to impossible for the scientists to "record" these sounds from space. The best they can do is predict those sounds based on other things that they record.
You can actually find some of such sounds from space predicted by Nasa, google for "Nasa spooky sounds"

BTW I have been a huge fan of Neil Degrasse Tyson and could not think of anyone else more apt to carry Carl Sagan's legacy.

This is an interesting topic. First of all, it may be close to impossible for the scientists to "record" these sounds from space. The best they can do is predict those sounds based on other things that they record.
You can actually find some of such sounds from space predicted by Nasa, google for "Nasa spooky sounds"

BTW I have been a huge fan of Neil Degrasse Tyson and could not think of anyone else more apt to carry Carl Sagan's legacy.

If it's impossible for scientists to record the noise, then from whom NASA got the 'spooky sounds' from? Bappi Lahiri or Vishal Dadlani?

If it's impossible for scientists to record the noise, then from whom NASA got the 'spooky sounds' from? Bappi Lahiri or Vishal Dadlani?

Let me clarify, it is impossible for scientists to record the actual sound waves. The spooky sounds are just the radio emissions that spacecrafts like Voyager captured.
Unlike visible light from most of the planets, which are reflected light of the sun, radio waves are hardly reflected, and so most of the radio waves observed are actually due to planets own heat.

interesting...cant it be recorded during the space expedition by Astronauts etc?

Back
Top Bottom