What's new

Sony Group financial results, record high sales of 11.5 trillion yen - Playstation 5 is strong and exceeds 10 trillion yen for the first time

In the consolidated financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023 (international accounting standards) announced by the Sony Group on the 28th, sales increased 16.3% year-on-year to 11.5398 trillion yen, a record high, reaching the 10 trillion yen mark for the first time . exceeded.
In addition to the strong sales of the  home game console " PlayStation 5 ," entertainment-related businesses such as music and movies grew significantly, and the impact of foreign exchange also pushed up.
Source: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/009d4fe7655ad86d4002ec519e275a87202cdab8
11.5 trillion yen is about 84 billion dollar.

Seems like video games and anime/manga will be saving Japan.

I hope they beat Microsoft!

That's quite insulting to the Japanese if you put it that way like there are nothing left beside Manga and Video Game.

That said, you may not know but Video Game sector is actually bigger than the Movie Business. It will considering a success for a movie to reach multiple hundred million dollars box office, on the other hand, successful AAA title usually making Billions of dollars (Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Fortnite, Minecraft or Red Dead redemption are all multiple with hundred million of sales. and multi-billions games). And there are only 3 games in town, that's PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo.

That's quite insulting to the Japanese if you put it that way like there are nothing left beside Manga and Video Game.

That said, you may not know but Video Game sector is actually bigger than the Movie Business. It will considering a success for a movie to reach multiple hundred million dollars box office, on the other hand, successful AAA title usually making Billions of dollars (Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Fortnite, Minecraft or Red Dead redemption are all multiple with hundred million of sales. and multi-billions games). And there are only 3 games in town, that's PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo.
Bruh, they are having hard competition from China and S. Korea and USA in other field.

But yes, video game market is bigger than movie business, video game market generates billions, while movies struggle to get past the 1 billion mark.

Gaming industry bigger than both movie industry and music industry combined.

Bruh, they are having hard competition from China and S. Korea and USA in other field.

But yes, video game market is bigger than movie business, video game market generates billions, while movies struggle to get past the 1 billion mark.

Japan have a lot of high tech biz actually, from IC Chip set to Aircraft Part (around 40% of aircraft parts are from Japan actually) and also fuel technology and medical technology

If they only have video game and mange, I think their economy would long be busted....Even tho it's like you said Video Game industry is bigger than most entertainment industry, but most of those money are going to game developer, not console developer, and Sony for some reason holds not many IP right for games and strangely most of those successful title they hold are from the west, like Ratchet and Crank, Horizon, COD and basically every MCU game....

Gaming industry bigger than both movie industry and music industry combined.
Yeah, and with the latest engine, people are starting to doubt why we still use actor for movie. I mean, have you seen the Matrix Unreal Engine 5 demo?

Equating Japanese Economy to only Video Games and Manga, is like equating South Korean economy with K pop and K dramas

Japan have a lot of high tech biz actually, from IC Chip set to Aircraft Part (around 40% of aircraft parts are from Japan actually) and also fuel technology and medical technology

If they only have video game and mange, I think their economy would long be busted....Even tho it's like you said Video Game industry is bigger than most entertainment industry, but most of those money are going to game developer, not console developer, and Sony for some reason holds not many IP right for games and strangely most of those successful title they hold are from the west, like Ratchet and Crank, Horizon, COD and basically every MCU game....
Sony is actually like the 2nd biggest video game company right now, just below Tencent and bigger than Microsoft's Xbox division.

Even then, Tencent suffers some losses last year due to China's regulation, so it might be close.

There's also Nintendo of course, which is smaller but super profitable.

All in all, I'm saying if Japan's car industry is defeated by China, there's still the video game industry standing strong.

Equating Japanese Economy to only Video Games and Manga, is like equating South Korean economy with K pop and K dramas
K-pop and K-dramas don't hold a candle to the video game industry in general, it's ironically where S. Korea is lacking in comparison to Japan and China.

Video Game industry is already the BIGGEST entertainment industry around, beating Films and Sport and Music:

I think it's only lesser than the top tier hard industry like car industry, airplanes, oil, etc.

Sony is actually like the 2nd biggest video game company right now, just below Tencent and bigger than Microsoft's Xbox division.

Even then, Tencent suffers some losses last year due to China's regulation, so it might be close.

There's also Nintendo of course, which is smaller but super profitable.

All in all, I'm saying if Japan's car industry is defeated by China, there's still the video game industry standing strong.

K-pop and K-dramas don't hold a candle to the video game industry in general, it's ironically where S. Korea is lacking in comparison to Japan and China.

Video Game industry is already the BIGGEST entertainment industry around, beating Films and Sport and Music:

I think it's only lesser than the top tier hard industry like car industry, airplanes, oil, etc.
lol, being bigger does not mean they took the biggest pies on the entire 300 billions video gaming industry. Both Tencents and Sony combine only taken around 16% of that market. Because not all of tencent and not all of sony are in the gaming industry.

On the other hand, as I said, Japan have quite a few serious Heavy Industry that is propping up, like Komatsu, Mitsu and Hitachi, even if China overtake Japanese automobile market (which is still a long way to go) they are going to be alright, at least for a while

Here are a list of Japanese Fortune 500 company

lol, being bigger does not mean they took the biggest pies on the entire 300 billions video gaming industry. Both Tencents and Sony combine only taken around 16% of that market. Because not all of tencent and not all of sony are in the gaming industry.

On the other hand, as I said, Japan have quite a few serious Heavy Industry that is propping up, like Komatsu, Mitsu and Hitachi, even if China overtake Japanese automobile market (which is still a long way to go) they are going to be alright, at least for a while

Here are a list of Japanese Fortune 500 company

That's interesting to say the least.

But yes, it's much better than a video game monopoly. I like that there's huge variety to video game companies and hope they don't continue with the stupid mergers.

That's interesting to say the least.

But yes, it's much better than a video game monopoly. I like that there's huge variety to video game companies and hope they don't continue with the stupid mergers.
I don't know man, lately there aren't any good game that come out of Asia Pacific (Not counting mobile game, which majority of those are in Asia Pacific) I mean, I am still waiting on Resident Evil 8 and Ace Combat 8 and Kingdom Hearts IV to release, and that already been ages when Capcom keep doing remake and Bandai no where to be found on the Ace Combat universe, most of the Japanese game now are either 18+ or one of those Anime inspired title.

Games from outside Japan is even worse, there were one game that was quite hyped out from China called Nobody The Turnaround, and they were at sale on Steam for 2 days before they were taken down last year, I don't even know what the hack is going on, there were 2 zombie games that come out of China and they are so-so, not really bad, but not exceedingly good.

Most game I played in the last 2 years are from either US or EU, the only Asian title I played in the last 2 years is Gran Turismo 7...

I don't know man, lately there aren't any good game that come out of Asia Pacific (Not counting mobile game, which majority of those are in Asia Pacific) I mean, I am still waiting on Resident Evil 8 and Ace Combat 8 and Kingdom Hearts IV to release, and that already been ages when Capcom keep doing remake and Bandai no where to be found on the Ace Combat universe, most of the Japanese game now are either 18+ or one of those Anime inspired title.

Games from outside Japan is even worse, there were one game that was quite hyped out from China called Nobody The Turnaround, and they were at sale on Steam for 2 days before they were taken down last year, I don't even know what the hack is going on, there were 2 zombie games that come out of China and they are so-so, not really bad, but not exceedingly good.

Most game I played in the last 2 years are from either US or EU, the only Asian title I played in the last 2 years is Gran Turismo 7...
Bruh, you told me you haven't played some of the hit of this year like Atomic Heart or RE4make or even nicher stuff like Octopath Traveler 2?
Those games are the freaking bomb:

Resident Evil 8 also comes out like two years ago, it's called, RE Village. And yeah, we need Ace Combat 8, I think they are gonna announce it later since it's been sometimes since AC7.

My most favorite game coming is Armored Core VI though:
Now that's my shit.

Bruh, you told me you haven't played some of the hit of this year like Atomic Heart or RE4make or even nicher stuff like Octopath Traveler 2?
Those games are the freaking bomb:

Resident Evil 8 also comes out like two years ago, it's called, RE Village. And yeah, we need Ace Combat 8, I think they are gonna announce it later since it's been sometimes since AC7.

My most favorite game coming is Armored Core VI though:
Now that's my shit.
I don't consider Villege as Resident Evil 8, I think they are a continuation of RE7, I mean, they are just basically continue on with the RE7 storyline, and I am not a fan of RE7 to begin with.

RE4 is nice, but that's the same thing over, I mean I haven't played it but I do RE2 and RE3 remake, I mean, they are extremely similar to the old game, just added some stuff in an enhancing the graphics

I don't like Gundum or Armor Core games, I like to watch the manga but don't like those shoot them up game, there used to be a PC game call PowerDoll (and then a hentai Anime that ruined that for me) and also an older game called Super Robot War where you use Gundam and other robot to do a turn base RTS game. But haven't seen a new one since 2019.

I am more of a RPG/RTS person, I used to play a lot of online RPG from Taiwan and Korea, used to play a Taiwanese Server of a japanese online game called 大航海時代 Online for a while before they stop letting overseas resident buying credit, so I no longer play that. I did some Hong Kong Online RPG and that's it.

And also were a big fan of Final Fantasy, but not Legion of Zelda.....

And finally, weren't Atomic Heart EU game??

I don't consider Villege as Resident Evil 8, I think they are a continuation of RE7, I mean, they are just basically continue on with the RE7 storyline, and I am not a fan of RE7 to begin with.

RE4 is nice, but that's the same thing over, I mean I haven't played it but I do RE2 and RE3 remake, I mean, they are extremely similar to the old game, just added some stuff in an enhancing the graphics

I don't like Gundum or Armor Core games, I like to watch the manga but don't like those shoot them up game, there used to be a PC game call PowerDoll (and then a hentai Anime that ruined that for me) and also an older game called Super Robot War where you use Gundam and other robot to do a turn base RTS game. But haven't seen a new one since 2019.

I am more of a RPG/RTS person, I used to play a lot of online RPG from Taiwan and Korea, used to play a Taiwanese Server of a japanese online game called 大航海時代 Online for a while before they stop letting overseas resident buying credit, so I no longer play that. I did some Hong Kong
Oh man, I'm also a huge SRW fan here. Waiting for the next game!
RE4/RE2make aren't remastered of the originals, there are numerous differences that make them stand-out. I can't stand RE7 & RE Village first person view at all.

Bruh, you are selling a hard bargain, RTS is like nearly extinct nowadays.
There's one I'm looking forward to tho:
Though, this is more like squad tactics game than a base-building RTS.

Sony is basically a US company, you can tell by its shareholding structure or the fact it is now fully committed to propagating the woke agenda

Bro, Sony has woke elements due to their western studio, but their top execs are majority japanese.

They also fund a lot of Asian games to combat Microsoft, like China's hit Genshin Impact has Sony funding in it (which is why it's not on Xbox).

Back
Top Bottom