What's new

Sonargaon recognised as World Craft City

Yes you are spot on.. thats where the cotton was from....

You can read some good books on muslin like
1. From Muslin To Museum: The Rise and Fall of Bengal’s Textile Empire
2. Muslin
Also go through the books of eminent historians like RC Mazumdar. All had a view that Masulipatam was the town where muslin was traded with Romans and Romans only gave the name.
Masalipattam was another center for products that were produced around that region and not Bengal. Bengal had the Chittagong Port where even Ibn Batuta anchored and visited Sylhet.

Bengal had a direct link to the Mosul Port of Iraq where the traders of the three Continents gathered to sell and buy. How can it be that products loaded in Ctg. will go to South India when the boats were traveling to the Persian Gulf countries including Mosul. Among all the Muslins produced in Hindustan the product of Bengal was most famous. Even some foreign traders used to call it Daka Muslin.

Yes you are spot on.. thats where the cotton was from....

You can read some good books on muslin like
1. From Muslin To Museum: The Rise and Fall of Bengal’s Textile Empire
2. Muslin
Also go through the books of eminent historians like RC Mazumdar. All had a view that Masulipatam was the town where muslin was traded with Romans and Romans only gave the name.

We I thought the Bengali name for the cloth was Mulmul, not Muslin. Muslin was a name that was used by Europeans.

We I thought the Bengali name for the cloth was Mulmul, not Muslin. Muslin was a name that was used by Europeans.
Muslin is a type of tant. We call it Dakai tant in bengali or simply muslin, no special bengali synonym. To my knowledge mulmul is a urdu/hindi synonym.

Masalipattam was another center for products that were produced around that region and not Bengal. Bengal had the Chittagong Port where even Ibn Batuta anchored and visited Sylhet.

Bengal had a direct link to the Mosul Port of Iraq where the traders of the three Continents gathered to sell and buy. How can it be that products loaded in Ctg. will go to South India when the boats were traveling to the Persian Gulf countries including Mosul. Among all the Muslins produced in Hindustan the product of Bengal was most famous. Even some foreign traders used to call it Daka Muslin.
Even now whatever muslin is produced in India more than 70% are from bengal region. Including Bangladesh this region I believe produces more than 80% of total world produce. No one can deny that.
You have valid point, I have absolutely no idea why that port become so imp in muslin trade. On observation from my side it was quite ancient port ranging from BCE while chattagram quite new, first mention in 12th century AD.

Muslin is a type of tant. We call it Dakai tant in bengali or simply muslin, no special bengali synonym. To my knowledge mulmul is a urdu/hindi synonym.

Even now whatever muslin is produced in India more than 70% are from bengal region. Including Bangladesh this region I believe produces more than 80% of total world produce. No one can deny that.
You have valid point, I have absolutely no idea why that port become so imp in muslin trade. On observation from my side it was quite ancient port ranging from BCE while chattagram quite new, first mention in 12th century AD.

How can there be a port in Mosul, it's in northern Iraq, unless we are talking about a river port.

@bluesky

How can there be a port in Mosul, it's in northern Iraq, unless we are talking about a river port.

@bluesky
"Located approximately 400 km (250 mi) north of Baghdad, Mosul stands on the west bank of the Tigris, opposite the ancient Assyrian city of Nineveh on the east bank".

1. ORIGIN OF THE WORD "MUSLIN"
The term ‘Muslin’ is popularly believed to be a term used to describe the cotton trade in the City of Mosul, Iraq. An alternate derivation of the term is believed to have surfaced in the 18th Century, from the term French term ‘mousse’ meaning foam, owing to the extremely soft texture of the cloth.

When the cloth was woven for royalty, the muslin was called ‘Mulmal’ khas. The viceroys who used to place orders for the Emperor had immortalized it by giving it descriptive names such as Ab-e-rawan, meaning ‘running water’, Shabnam meaning ‘evening dew’ and Sharbati meaning ‘wine-like’, all of which are befitting names for this uber luxurious fabric.

2. ORIGINATED IN DHAKA
300px-DhakaCity1861-300x188.png

According to the stories inherited from our Asian forefathers, ‘Mulmul’ fabric is popularly believed to have originated in ‘Dacca’, present-day Dhaka, Bangladesh.
300px-DhakaCity1861-300x188.png

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom