What's new

some questions only for pilots(real,not keyboard pilots)

In 2007 I took a few pilot lessons before realizing I could not afford it. My instructor had told me that a pilot has to have 3 landings at least in 90 days, if not he makes 3 landings (all touch and go) before he can fly off into his journey. Is this practiced in the airforce as well?

Each Nation/Air Force has different "currency" rules, but in the U.S., your flight instructor is correct. The Air Force had differing currency rules from the civilian ones, but honestly I can't remember them, as any normal flying job keeps you current, unless you are sick for a long time.

There are also currency rules for night operations, AAR, and other mission-specific tasks.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of a particular formation over others?
Who decides which formation to make and what factors go into that decision?
What is the role of each aircraft in different formations?

Gubbi, you could write a book and still not fully answer your questions. :woot: There are dozens of formations mixed with dozens of missions, and they have evolved over the years. For example, the "fighting wing" formation of Korea is obsolete, replaced by a line-abreast "tactical" formation, which is a spread of 1 to 2 nm, and an altitude stack.

For other missions, you can have box, trains, echelons, arrowheads, hi-lo stacks, so many of them. If you have a specific comparison, I can probably address them.

thanks alot chogy, you are a so nice.
one question what are main causes of tire blrust during landing?
is it reality that older jets have more chances than new and modern ones?

question from respected sir Muradk,
why we are not getting rid of so old trainers like ft-5,that is equal to crap now.

This is not a barrel roll, this is roll on axis (what is technical name of that roll)

That's an aileron roll. Move the stick hard left or right and flip about the long axis. very easy. A barrel roll is slower and combines pitch. Picture a corkscrew path through the air. To do one, you bank, then apply back pressure to raise the nose. You then begin a slow aileron input in the opposite direction, keep back stick applied, and continue until you get back to straight and level.

one question what are main causes of tire blrust during landing?
is it reality that older jets have more chances than new and modern ones?

Burst tires come from old/weak/worn tires, hard landings, foreign objects, or any combination of these. It's not the age of the jet so much as the age of the tire itself. Jet transports eat tires like cookies, and they are frequently changed.

question from respected sir Muradk,
why we are not getting rid of so old trainers like ft-5,that is equal to crap now.

This, I cannot answer. Fleet upgrades are driven by budget and need. Sometimes, old trainers will do what they are supposed to for decades, and that's teach people. The T-37 was in use from the 1950's well into post 2000.

That's an aileron roll. Move the stick hard left or right and flip about the long axis. very easy. A barrel roll is slower and combines pitch. Picture a corkscrew path through the air. To do one, you bank, then apply back pressure to raise the nose. You then begin a slow aileron input in the opposite direction, keep back stick applied, and continue until you get back to straight and level.

Burst tires come from old/weak/worn tires, hard landings, foreign objects, or any combination of these. It's not the age of the jet so much as the age of the tire itself. Jet transports eat tires like cookies, and they are frequently changed.

This, I cannot answer. Fleet upgrades are driven by budget and need. Sometimes, old trainers will do what they are supposed to for decades, and that's teach people. The T-37 was in use from the 1950's well into post 2000.

well sir actually ft-5 is having great problems relating to tire brust and some others. i am confused why we are not changing them with new. we are buying new fighters then why not some good and new trainers. ft-5 is very old and unsafe for flying but still PAF is going with it and risking pilots lives, who are now facing such problems on routine bases.

I had hard time finding this thread again after this new look of forum.

thanks chogy for your answer.

it ma sound a little childish but for training games like hawks ,ace etc can be used really a friend of mine used the engin of battel field 2 to make his one game PAF can do the same for training simulations ,

@Chogy,

What was your main bogy while you train at your time, Mig-29 or Su-27?

Which air crafts are used as bogys in training? or real one(heard US got 2 Su-27s)

@Chogy,

What was your main bogy while you train at your time, Mig-29 or Su-27?

Which air crafts are used as bogys in training? or real one(heard US got 2 Su-27s)

In my time, the MiG-29 was more of a threat, just because there were more of them out there.

The only units who actually imitated a specific threat were the USAF Aggressors and their Navy equivalent. The Aggressors used the F-5 to simulate the MiG-21, and then the F-16 to simulate the MiG-29, but more important than the platform is that they were highly trained in what was though to be the tactics that were to be used.

Otherwise, we'd simply fly as much dissimilar as we could. If we fought Tomcats, they flew like Navy Tomcats, not any specific threat model. Almost all scenarios involved BVR work initially, then concluded with a "Papa + guns" (stern IR missile + cannon) to keep maneuvering skills fresh.

In Europe, we had a thing called "free flight/fight" which meant that there were standardized ROE, and ANY military aircraft flying about was a target, as were we. It made for some excellent training, as your lookout and radar discipline was tested constantly. So we'd run into Tornados, F-4's, F-18, F-104's, just about anything, and if they didn't want to play, they'd simply wing rock and go on their way, but normally these encounters ended up in a nice scrap.

In my time, the MiG-29 was more of a threat, just because there were more of them out there.

Almost all scenarios involved BVR work initially, then concluded with a "Papa + guns" (stern IR missile + cannon) to keep maneuvering skills fresh.

Thanks for the excellent post..

How would you train the BVR evasive measures? like your enemy got a BVR missile lock on you and you are dead? Is there any 'real time non lethal' BVR fired at you for evasive training? or just a set of practices/tactics taught only?

Would like to know in case of IR seeking training too. Is there any real time training?

Thanks for the excellent post..

How would you train the BVR evasive measures? like your enemy got a BVR missile lock on you and you are dead? Is there any 'real time non lethal' BVR fired at you for evasive training? or just a set of practices/tactics taught only?

Would like to know in case of IR seeking training too. Is there any real time training?

You're welcome. "kills" for radar missiles were called based upon the quality of the radar track, the successful timing out of the shot, and the judgement of the shooter. Avoiding death BVR was a matter of beams, drags, chaff, and other measures. If you call someone dead, then your radar and HUD video better show a very clean radar track; you have to back up a practice shot with evidence.

IR missile shots were called based upon the known Pk of a particular variant, and again, the quality of the shot. Envelope heart vs. ragged edge shots, that sort of thing. In general, one solid IR track was good enough to call a kill.

For gunshots, a good track was called a kill, a snap or non-tracking shot was simply called out ("snap") and never called a kill... maneuvering continues.

Actual rockets or missiles are NEVER used... too dangerous. We did shoot live missiles against drones, though, and that is how data on a missile is gathered. There are thousands of missiles at the bottom of the ocean from these sorts of shots.

Again, the shooter's judgement is important, and we are trained properly to not call a kill unless we have great confidence that yes indeed, that person would have blown up.

Hi Chogy
i have seen various commercial airplanes cockpit videos. during flare I have not noticed that the pilot has "PULLED" the yoke significantly. I wonder why is that. does he pull that so little that it cannot be seen.

Back
Top Bottom