What's new

Some common Trolling Methods

A.P. Richelieu

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Some common propaganda methods used by on-line trolls.

From Wiki:

Whataboutism is a propaganda technique formerly used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world, and subsequently used as a form of propaganda in post-Soviet Russia. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world

Gish gallop (plural Gish gallops) is a rhetorical technique in which a dishonest speaker lists a string of falsehoods or misleading items so that their opponent will be unable to counter each one and still be able to make their own counterpoints.

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

Some common propaganda methods used by on-line trolls.

From Wiki:

Whataboutism is a propaganda technique formerly used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world, and subsequently used as a form of propaganda in post-Soviet Russia. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world

Gish gallop (plural Gish gallops) is a rhetorical technique in which a dishonest speaker lists a string of falsehoods or misleading items so that their opponent will be unable to counter each one and still be able to make their own counterpoints.

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

Some third rung Whatabouters and Gish Gallopers here too ....

@Gadkari

@salimpheku

What say?

Cheers, Doc

@Gadkari

@salimpheku

What say?

Cheers, Doc
The Red-Herring bait is the worst. It intentionally diverts the argument to something completely different when the troll feels he's losing (by introducing some random topic). The Ad Hominem is also very widespread amongst internet trolls; when they feel in danger, they begin attacking their opponent's character and opinions. Just these 2 fallacies constitute the majority of trolling methods you'll see online.

@Gadkari

@salimpheku

What say?

Cheers, Doc

I agree. But I do not recall you using Whataboutism.

Other two methods are your standard techniques.

The Red-Herring bait is the worst. It intentionally diverts the argument to something completely different when the troll feels he's losing (by introducing some random topic). The Ad Hominem is also very widespread amongst internet trolls; when they feel in danger, they begin attacking their opponent's character and opinions. Just these 2 fallacies constitute the majority of trolling methods you'll see online.

You mean "chinese won olympic gold" argument ? :lol:

A troll is a deformed mountain cave dwelling humanoid.

What was the origin of using the name to describe the cyber versions?

Cheers, Doc

A troll is a deformed mountain cave dwelling humanoid.

What was the origin of using the name to describe the cyber versions?

Cheers, Doc

"What about" 2002 Gujarat riots ? :lol:

"what about" aqlak and Gau Rakshaks ? :lol:

I agree. But I do not recall you using Whataboutism.

Other two methods are your standard techniques.

You mean "chinese won olympic gold" argument ? :lol:
Classic flamebait. Anyone can mention the faults of both China and India during their argument and it would be considered a "red-herring".

Classic flamebait. Anyone can mention the faults of both China and India during their argument and it would be considered a "red-herring".

Pretty much ALL chinese posters come under this category.

Its a total waste attempting to debate with them.

Pretty much ALL chinese posters come under this category.

Its a total waste attempting to debate with them.
The same could be said for Indian posters as well. In fact, there are so many in this forum alone. One would think why an Indian would join a PAKISTANI MILITARY FORUM, the forum of their arch-nemesis.

The same could be said for Indian posters as well. In fact, there are so many in this forum alone. One would think why an Indian would join a PAKISTANI MILITARY FORUM, the forum of their arch-nemesis.

Most Indians come here to troll and get back at the pakistanis. Our small individual contribution to the fight against Terror :lol:

Pakistan is only a nuisance, not an arch nemesis.

What is the chinese excuse ?

Most Indians come here to troll and get back at the pakistanis. Our small individual contribution to the fight against Terror :lol:

Pakistan is only a nuisance, not an arch nemesis.

What is the chinese excuse ?
LOL :omghaha:. You just admitted to being a troll! Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of this "common trolling methods thread"? :suicide2:

LOL :omghaha:. You just admitted to being a troll! Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of this "common trolling methods thread"? :suicide2:

And you think what I said is by accident ? :cheesy:

You still did not tell me the chinese excuse for trolling. Are you being an apologist for them ? :azn:

And you think what I said is by accident ? :cheesy:

You still did not tell me the chinese excuse for trolling. Are you being an apologist for them ? :azn:
No. I despise both Chinese and Indian trolls. But I feel that many Indian users are hijacking this forum for the sole intent of trolling. And to respond to these trolls, some PDF members inadvertently become trolls themselves. Hence, it's a trollfest.

Back
Top Bottom