What's new

Solar Power Solution for Home

Solar power is still expensive for house hold consumption. In my place the per unit charge for electricity provided by state corporation is Rs.2 (Rs 300/Month) on average for me.

The cost of installing a panel (500W), Charge controller, inverter, and battery system would be around Rs.50k minimum (if no inductive loads like Motor, Fridge, AC, Ironbox etc...) I might be able to save half of it. Then it would take me 25 years to recover that cost if there is no appreciation in per unit charge and no battery replacement (which is impossible).

Install online panels where you can sell power to the electricity board and you rent your roof for a cost. If governments can develop a comprehensive plan for that, it might actually work and will be a small income for the family.

Installing solar panel at home is not really a viable option if the power company provides it at cheaper rates. Always do cost benefit analysis before installing expensive systems.

Out of curiosity, did you manage to do anything?

I have an idea...combined pieces from observations here and there:
When/ IF you build a housing or school...the sewage pipeline can be porous or with holes and pass through a field/ orchard to fertilize the land....

After initially picking out the plastic and large garbage, you can pipe the sewage through a forest ...SOME trees can treat metals and other stuff as natural filters...and then the leftover can go to treatment plants before going to a water body. I mean Pakistan doesnt filter its sewage at all. Why cant it filter it through jungles (after removing large plastic and stuff) or fields? I mean the pipes dont need to be on the surface, deep down and keep cycling the soil so that it gets mixed and the smell eases away too...

I dont know the feasibility of this ...it is just a thought. I also know schools that grow their own vegetable and fruits and present a healthy meal to their children. Also children working with gardening understand the environment and also how it is beneficial for us, serving other colleagues teaches them to give and share...this is taught in Japan and some schools in Finland.

Pardon the pun, but so far my idea is just a pipe dream. Lol

OK so here it is @Major Sam @Dark-Destroyer @My-Analogous and all,

As we were discussing in that other thread, i am currently running a solar power solution for my home. It is enough to power my entire house during day time, that includes all fans and lights, two fridges and a freezer, two inverter ACs. The only thing that is not on Solar is the water pump, other than that the whole home is on Solar Power in day time.

You guys were interested in details and cost workings so here it is:

I have installed 14 photovoaltic solar panels. Each cost me about 18000Rs so total cost is 252000Rs
Have installed a 5kva, MPPT equipped Axpert MKS inverter from Inverex. Cost 72000Rs
Frames for installing panels on roof plus cable/wire cost - Approximately 30000Rs
Four 250A Volta tublar batteries from Volta, Cost - 22000 x 4 = 88000Rs

Total Cost: 442000 Rs

This will be enough to run:
  • All fans and lights,
  • A fridge and a freezer,
  • Two DC inverter AC,
In day time

for night, the battery will give 6+ hours back-up if you turn off the AC.

My inverter settings are that it gives first priority to Solar, second to WAPDA and third to battery. So during day time, it is consuming solar energy, when sun goes down it starts taking WAPDA and when there is loadsheeding, it will only thne shift to battery, that extends life of battery as well and keep back up of 7/8 hours easy in case there is a major break down.

This sounds up my street:angel:. Do you have any pictures of your setup you can share with us.

The weakest link in the solar power system is not the panels but the battery, the battery dies the fastest and it is generally the costliest part of the system. One solution is to have direct grid tied system, in which all the power you produce goes to the grid and all your consumption comes from WAPDA, but you pay for your consumption - your production. This can only be implemented if houses start having smart meters. In Karachi, I know KE gives you 1950s meter for free, but if you want smart meter you have to pay Rs 100,000.

I have a project that I want to carry out one day called the Model Village project. If Allah ever gives me the opportunity, I wish to implement it first in my own village in AJK and then go across the county village by village implementing this project.

The idea behind the project is to improve standards of living in villages using micro projects. Solar panels play a big part of this.

My plans would include;
  • use of solar panels on each household to provide as much of their power needs as possible.
  • Solar powered street lighting along the main roads and paths through villages
  • Solar powered lighting and fans in schools
  • purpose built guttering and drainage leading to a small water treatment plant
  • treated water being put back into the river, waste being taken away and used for biogas. This would encourage water recycling.
  • Biogas plants setup using human and animal waste
  • Recycling schemes in the village where people come round and collect metal, glass, paper and plastics, biodegradable waste isn't burnt but put in the biogas plant to let it ferment and create natural gas which can be bottled and used.
  • Have public waste bins in public areas which are cleared on a daily basis.
  • Where rivers or streams are available, make use of the curent of the water to make electricity using mills
I'd also with the support of local people/local government like to have the roads and paths into the villages paved to a decent standard, but that would be upto them to arrange. Unfortunately roads is such a political tool in Pakistan.

very good but
money will come from???????????

very good but
money will come from???????????
I was hoping to start this initially in my own village and have it funded by the community. Everyone there has money. The hope was to then roll it out in similar villages with expat money using them as models to encourage a future community-state sponsored initiative. There could event be a charitable element of the funding.

Like I said only a pipe dream. I'm a middle class man who has bills to pay every month. I don't have the financial freedom to travel half way across the world back home to spend my time making things better.

If I ever do; I will.

I was hoping to start this initially in my own village and have it funded by the community. Everyone there has money. The hope was to then roll it out in similar villages with expat money using them as models to encourage a future community-state sponsored initiative. There could event be a charitable element of the funding.

Like I said only a pipe dream. I'm a middle class man who has bills to pay every month. I don't have the financial freedom to travel half way across the world back home to spend my time making things better.

If I ever do; I will.

Bro...mashallah you have a good idea but you dont understand pakistani people. I came back to Pakistan 5 years ago and and this was an alien land. Getting a pakistani to part waith money is harder than getting a jew to part with money. Then foe the greater good of the community forget it.
But having said that i wish you luck. Respect for such wonderful idea

I have a project that I want to carry out one day called the Model Village project. If Allah ever gives me the opportunity, I wish to implement it first in my own village in AJK and then go across the county village by village implementing this project.

The idea behind the project is to improve standards of living in villages using micro projects. Solar panels play a big part of this.

My plans would include;
  • use of solar panels on each household to provide as much of their power needs as possible.
  • Solar powered street lighting along the main roads and paths through villages
  • Solar powered lighting and fans in schools
What amount of sunlight would reach this location in AJK?

How many daylight hours per day?

Calculations of sunlight in summers and winters?

What will be your back up, during winters especially during shorter days?

What if it snows or rains all day and there is no sunlight during day?or for just 2-3 hours?
  • purpose built guttering and drainage leading to a small water treatment plant
  • treated water being put back into the river, waste being taken away and used for biogas. This would encourage water recycling.
  • Biogas plants setup using human and animal waste
Why would treated water be put back in the river? what are the uses of water..dam?
What will be the cost and size of the water treatment plant?
which energy source will power the treatment plant?
Same questions for the usage of bio-gas and its plant.
Implications on atmosphere?
  • Recycling schemes in the village where people come round and collect metal, glass, paper and plastics, biodegradable waste isn't burnt but put in the biogas plant to let it ferment and create natural gas which can be bottled and used.
What are the licensing requirements for producing natural gas in AJK?
Implications on atmosphere?
  • Have public waste bins in public areas which are cleared on a daily basis.
The way you are going with solar power, water treatment, bio gas plant, garbage collection...i think the village will be inhibited by technical people who will have jobs ready when they shift in?

• Where rivers or streams are available, make use of the curent of the water to make electricity using mills
A natural water-fall could do wonders, might just need a bit of tweaking and designing for your needs.
I'd also with the support of local people/local government like to have the roads and paths into the villages paved to a decent standard, but that would be upto them to arrange. Unfortunately roads is such a political tool in Pakistan.
Just like i said, you are providing jobs to the villagers, mostly technical.

Have you heard of smart homes? smart city ?

Out of curiosity, did you manage to do anything?

I have an idea...combined pieces from observations here and there:
When/ IF you build a housing or school...the sewage pipeline can be porous or with holes and pass through a field/ orchard to fertilize the land....

After initially picking out the plastic and large garbage, you can pipe the sewage through a forest ...SOME trees can treat metals and other stuff as natural filters...and then the leftover can go to treatment plants before going to a water body. I mean Pakistan doesnt filter its sewage at all. Why cant it filter it through jungles (after removing large plastic and stuff) or fields? I mean the pipes dont need to be on the surface, deep down and keep cycling the soil so that it gets mixed and the smell eases away too...

I dont know the feasibility of this ...it is just a thought. I also know schools that grow their own vegetable and fruits and present a healthy meal to their children. Also children working with gardening understand the environment and also how it is beneficial for us, serving other colleagues teaches them to give and share...this is taught in Japan and some schools in Finland.

Instead of ruining a beautiful forest, can we plant new trees/vegetation/fields in a newly built village, and run these pipes that you described, along this plantation ? Coz Aunty, maybe some dozen or more trees are already cut and disposed in construction of houses, treatment plants, land cleared for solar panels etc, so the shortage of trees will occur. The forest may or may not accept the metal etc, so as experimentation, use it on new plants which may get accustomed to your plan easily rather than hundreds of years old forest.

ok here is any update guys, i actually made a mistake. The plates i am using were actually bought at around 55Rs per watt. So one plat cost is 12650 Rs (not 18000 as mentioned in previous post).
You ruined my calculations and wasted my time :angry:

That means no 10% commission for you when you assist me set up the same project that you did :yahoo: !

The forest may or may not accept the metal etc, so as experimentation, use it on new plants which may get accustomed to your plan easily rather than hundreds of years old forest.
Well, that depends on what we got?! If we dont have such a forest, we can make one? We do need trees and if apart from purifying air they can purify water, why not?

You ruined my calculations and wasted my time :angry:

That means no 10% commission for you when you assist me set up the same project that you did :yahoo: !
Who do you think i am? Zardari??? :lol:

This sounds up my street:angel:. Do you have any pictures of your setup you can share with us.
I have promised multiple times that i will do that and have taken pics on at least two occasions!!! Still never got the chance to upload. Will do it on this weekend and let you know.

He explains the cost, process, tips and shows his own set up

He explains the cost, process, tips and shows his own set up
This is a big setup indeed

I have also added four extra solar plates to take up my system to 4200kW. Running two inverter ACs, fridge and a deep freezer (and an extra fridge these days) plus all lights and fans on Solar from 6:00am to 6:30pm these day.

Back
Top Bottom