What's new

Soft Power Can Make India a Superpower: Tharoor

Bollywood is very culture centric.
These Hindi films bore me to death. You have to be in that cultural circle to like it... I don't think it will ever make an impact outside Hindu community and maybe some closely related ethnicities...

Obviously bud, who would ever think that bollywood movies would enthrall you, but hey, even you watched a bollywood movie, couldnt say the same for the kung fu ridden Chinese movies

i am glad indians know that soft power concept, but the implemmentation of the influence is a total different matter. just the question: how to effectively exercise influence you inherited like usa does unscrupulously now rather than easy market promoting effort? more exactly to convince outsiders minds??? otherwise all will be wasted efforts to be utilised as dowry and assimilated into another stronger multistream culture and cilization.

Its difficult to understand what you said in your seemingly interesting post, could you repost in a simpler manner

Bollywood is very culture centric.
These Hindi films bore me to death. You have to be in that cultural circle to like it... I don't think it will ever make an impact outside Hindu community and maybe some closely related ethnicities...

It is much better than your kung-fu movies...,which having no emotion , no drama ,no life , no flavour..simply some people doing these aerobics all the time..:lol:

It is much better than your kung-fu movies...,which having no emotion , no drama ,no life , no flavour..simply some people doing these aerobics all the time..:lol:

No emotion, drama, life, flavor in Kungfu movies. Kid, Bruce Lee is a global legend that appeals to people every where. Jackie Chan is loved worldwide. Besides, we make more than just Kungfu movies.

The fact is that the Hindi films are lot less appealing to anyone who is not an Indian. Kungfu films have a huge following outside the Chinese community.

No emotion, drama, life, flavor in Kungfu movies. Kid, Bruce Lee is a global legend that appeals to people every where. Jackie Chan is loved worldwide. Besides, we make more than just Kungfu movies.

The fact is that the Hindi films are lot less appealing to anyone who is not an Indian. Kungfu films have a huge following outside the Chinese community.

That may be true, but we need to diversify AWAY from mostly Kung-fu and Cop movies and soapy Dramas! Did you know Bruce Lee (aka Lee Jun Fan) was going to make a Western after "Game of Death". In fact, he was always ahead of the times, he was already diversify away from Action movies into comedy, western, romance, etc. :)

That may be true, but we need to diversify AWAY from mostly Kung-fu and Cop movies and soapy Dramas! Did you know Bruce Lee (aka Lee Jun Fan) was going to make a Western after "Game of Death". In fact, he was always ahead of the times, he was already diversify away from Action movies into comedy, western, romance, etc. :)

No need to teach Bruce Lee trivials. He is head and shoulder with Elvis up there.

Anyways, I am not against other types of films. I was just stating that India's dream of influencing the world with Bollywood films are just unrealistic because the Hindi films are very cultural centric.

No need to teach Bruce Lee trivials. He is head and shoulder with Elvis up there.

Anyways, I am not against other types of films. I was just stating that India's dream of influencing the world with Bollywood films are just unrealistic because the Hindi films are very cultural centric.

Elvis? what's so great about Elvis..... :china: But I agree Bruce Lee is THE man! By the way, they are making tons of movies based on him. Yip Man 2 is coming out which as glimpse of young Bruce, and then Yip Man 3 will focus mainly on Bruce. His brother Peter Lee is doing good promoting his memory all over the world.

And they should be culture centric..

because cinema is the best way to show your culture to the world and thats what chinese movies are doing , as kung-fu is the eternal part of their culture...,Like hollywood is doing from half of century..

similarly india is doing...and bollywood is firmly making grounds in western world ..

From bindi-to-saari-to-namaste.... ,it is certainly affecting western people.:smitten:

Anybody thinks that Americans says: hi guys i wanna get ride of evil one and give all you others a wonderful freedom live, oh, except taking a little of oil? And they DID.

... why? because they have coca-cola, McDonald and Hollywood ? and Micro$oft Widows?

i am glad indians know that soft power concept,

Thanks

but the implemmentation of the influence is a total different matter.

Agreed!. But if you're lucky enough to be in India, you can see a quite different picture of India. The country is maturing in different fields! Recent records give us hope of 'implementation of the influence'

just the question: how to effectively exercise influence you inherited like usa does unscrupulously now rather than easy market promoting effort?

Interesting question. But I doubt if you can understand my answer:

1. We have Tharoor.. (the most influenced politician in Indian cyber world) who gave rise to this thread
2. We have Manmohan Singh (The most eligible Prime Minister)
3. We have BJP (Opposition party, now struggling, but learned a lot from its previous mistakes)
4. We have Abdul Kalam (Former President of India, and still igniting many Indian minds)
5. We have (not only Rahul Gandhi) many youths with VISION
6. We have many things... I couldn't imagine it before 15 years!
(PS: I'm in my 30's)

So, I'm confident that we'll
effectively exercise influence we inherited like usa does unscrupulously now rather than easy market promoting effort. more exactly to convince outsiders minds

otherwise all will be wasted efforts to be utilised as dowry and assimilated into another stronger multistream culture and cilization.

Thanks for your concern. :cheers:

"In today's world, it's not the size of the army that wins. It's the country that tells better story, India is and must remain a land of better story," he added.

That's right.

Simultaneously, I believe India should get out of this phenomenal disorientation of becoming a Super Power, at least it's not going to happen in next couple of decades. The country's economy is booming, yeah, but see the illiteracy is prominent too, along with the intense poverty rate. There are many and much much better countries in line to become a Super Power.

I agree for Indian movies to be considered 'standard' fare in the West and East, the theme's have to be more 'global' and then give it a bit of a Indian color. Otherwise the above mentioned markets will remain closed to Bollywood.

Unfortunately, movies is a business. To create those themes is a risk for the current producers and will face execution challenges.

So its unlikely to happen and if it does its unlikely to happen soon.

Its easier to do what Anil Ambani has done...invested in Hollywood. Anil can now ask Spielberg and others (if he wishes to) to create a Indian centric themes or use Indian actors etc.This will surely enhance Indian soft power.

That was a good video TY for posting.

I liked this bit. the most

In our last elections 5 years ago, India gave the world the extraordinary phenomenon of an election being won by an woman political leader, of Italian origin and roman Catholic faith, Sonia Gandhi who then made way for Sikh, Manmohan Singh to be sworn in as Prime Minister by a Muslim President Abdul Kalam, In a country 81% Hindu

Yup that's the India i am proud to be part of.

That's right.

Simultaneously, I believe India should get out of this phenomenal disorientation of becoming a Super Power, at least it's not going to happen in next couple of decades. The country's economy is booming, yeah, but see the illiteracy is prominent too, along with the intense poverty rate. There are many and much much better countries in line to become a Super Power.

dude none of the Indians here are saying we'll be a superpower tomorrow or day after and thanks for reminding us but we do know that we have the problems that you stated and more if we sit and introspect. Thanks but no thanks on that one buddy.. Also why don't you guys for once look at yourself and see what problems riddle your society.. atleast we have balls to accept that we have problems in out society you guys just close your eyes and refuse to accept numerous problems and that is including the problems like illiteracy, poverty etc etc which many developing nations have... and it takes time for a country like India where majority needs to be on your side to accomplish a task lets say.. unlike one party one rule abide or perish policy where things gets done easily if there is will to do so... which is why China is where it is today because of the will of the leadership and the way they rule... democracy is slow and frustrating but it takes most of the people on board hence the lethargy of a billion plus nation with individual opinions and views.

And for godsakes get over your India can't do it phobia.. one day we will and you'll pee ur pants if im not wrong? :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom