What's new

Sinosphere : China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam Traditional Dress

Maybe to most non East Asians they look the same except for Vietnam which is more of part of South East Asia in clothing and race. All their dresses originated somewhere, at some point in China.

"Ruen Wen Ling" is a Vietnamese who has decided to translate her name from Vietnamese to Chinese pinyin. Ruen (Nguyen) is a common Vietnamese surname. There are many Vietnamese today who are trying to be East Asian and hijacking Chinese heritage, due to the popularity of KPOP and Japanese anime / manga.

I noticed that all these "Sinosphere" videos are created by Vietnamese. We live in a global hierarchy whereby Japan and South Korea are considered "desirable". So Vietnamese use Chinese culture / the Sinosphere as a tool to achieve this forced affinity with Korean and Japanese culture, and try to distance themselves away from Southeast Asia.

In my experience, Vietnamese are very intent on telling the world they are East Asian. They love to tell people how Vietnamese language is so similar to Chinese language (it is not), the food is the same (it is not), the people look the same (they do not). I find this behaviour extremely offensive and disgusting.

Last edited:
"Ruen Wen Ling" is a Vietnamese who has decided to translate her name from Vietnamese to Chinese pinyin. Ruen (Nguyen) is a common Vietnamese surname. There are many Vietnamese today who are trying to be East Asian and hijacking Chinese heritage, due to the popularity of KPOP and Japanese anime / manga.

I noticed that all these "Sinosphere" videos are created by Vietnamese. We live in a global hierarchy whereby Japan and South Korea are considered "desirable". So Vietnamese use Chinese culture / the Sinosphere as a tool to achieve this forced affinity with Korean and Japanese culture, and try to distance themselves away from Southeast Asia.

In my experience, Vietnamese are very intent on telling the world they are East Asian. They love to tell people how Vietnamese language is so similar to Chinese language (it is not), the food is the same (it is not), the people look the same (they do not). I find this behaviour extremely offensive and disgusting.

Vietnamese are East Asians. They are part of the East Asian civilization. The difference between Western and Far Eastern civilization is that there is one country, China, that is the most influential. However, Vietnam, Korea and Japan are part of the Sinosphere. In Europe, there is not a country that has such the overwhelming influence. However, Chinese culture is not the whole East Asian civilization. It might be the most influential and the dominate one, but China does not represent the whole East Asian
Civilization. I believe Chinese need to be more accepting of other East Asian cultures in order to develop closer relationships with its cousins in East Asia, as it is the most influential one.

Confucius sphere dominated East Asia, including Vietnam, for centuries. It created a common culture and diplomacy. 400 years preceding Western colonialism was called East Asian long peace.

Confucius sphere was the most peaceful among culture areas of the time.

This does not mean Korea or Vietnam did not develop their own unique expressions. Contrarily, they all have certain distinct features. But Confucius understanding draws a broad line that includes all four states, China, Japan, Vietnam and Korea.

@a Viet

Although I admire China, I would never agree with extreme pro-China view of some Vietnamese modern historians living in the West (some living in Vietnam), who tend to describe Vietnamese culture as totally Chinese.

My thinking is that these so-called historians, who mostly come from the South, are still retaining their inferior complex, even they are living in the West, or because of them living in the West.

Before they thought Vietnamese was inferior to Westerner, now they are trying to prove that Vietnamese is inferior to Chinese.

My view is generally in compliance with modern and well established North Vietnamese historians. Vietnamese culture, albeit influenced by Chinese, is independent. Vietnam is not a little China.

I do not care if they are labeling Vietnam as East or South East Asian. Vietnamese culture, from my view, is different to all other South East Asian, Korea and Japan.

Last edited:

you again with Vietnam bashing

previously you said all bad things on VN: ugly, dark, short people, eating weird foods such as square cake to Tet, having no 4 destintive seasons. now you say we are evil claiming to be east asians. what do you want say next time: we are grim reaper??

Maybe to most non East Asians they look the same except for Vietnam which is more of part of South East Asia in clothing and race. All their dresses originated somewhere, at some point in China.
I agree that dresses worn by women in VN, JP and KR are originated somewhere, at some point in China, but in contrast to our neighbors, the Viet women wear Ao dai at all occasions, and not only in theaters or at special events.

Ao-Dai-Vietnam-1024x768.jpg

Although I admire China, I would never agree with extreme pro-China view of some Vietnamese modern historians living in the West (some living in Vietnam), who tend to describe Vietnamese culture as totally Chinese.

My thinking is that these so-called historians, who mostly come from the South, are still retaining their inferior complex, even they are living in the West, or because of them living in the West.

Before they thought Vietnamese was inferior to Westerner, now they are trying to prove that Vietnamese is inferior to Chinese.

My view is generally in compliance with modern and well established North Vietnamese historians. Vietnamese culture, albeit influenced by Chinese, is independent. Vietnam is not a little China.

I do not care if they are labeling Vietnam as East or South East Asian. Vietnamese culture, from my view, is different to all other South East Asian, Korea and Japan.
Are you living in S.Korea? I heard S. Koreans are extremely racism to Southeast Asians. Is that true?

Back to the topic, It's too bad that Chinese traditional dresses almost disappear here. Unlike Vietnamese, Japanese and Koreans, Chinese rarely dress them.

Are you living in S.Korea? I heard S. Koreans are extremely racism to Southeast Asians. Is that true?

Back to the topic, It's too bad that Chinese traditional dresses almost disappear here. Unlike Vietnamese, Japanese and Koreans, Chinese rarely dress them.

Now I live in Vietnam

I did not see the racism from S.Korean, Japanese or Chinese or European when I were in these countries and Europe. Most people I met were polite and hospitable. Racism is not something you can see openly on the street.

A taxi driver in Seoul told me about how North Korean copied Cu Chi tunnel in Sai Gon to dig the tunnels from North Korea to South Korea. Generally, the name of Vietnam is well-respected in the world.

Last edited:

generally in Vietnam, we are Vietnamese people, don't care what Chinese think about ús, east asian or not. Vietnamese ís Vietnamese. Vietnam hás joined ÁSEAN.

Sinosphere is applied to people in China, who are native people living in China, can't communicate directly with Han Chinese from north, who speaks madarin language as native tongue. They were annected to China in the past.

generally in Vietnam, we are Vietnamese people, don't care what Chinese think about ús, east asian or not. Vietnamese ís Vietnamese. Vietnam hás joined ÁSEAN.

Sinosphere is applied to people in China, who are native people living in China, can't communicate directly with Han Chinese from north, who speaks madarin language as native tongue. They were annected to China in the past.

You may reject it. But history does not.
Untitled.png

You are a substratum of Confucius cultural sphere and you lived quite peacefully under it for centuries.

Untitled 2.png

Peace!

Ha ha ha Chinese aren't racists?

As for Koreans. You may not know it. The south Koreans soldiers were the ones that committed ones of worst war crimes in Vietnam during the war. It is as if they wanted to show their American master what they are capable of. So did they so similar things in China under the banner of Imperial Japan. There are enough sad stories how many Korean husbands mistreated and even killed their Viet brides. Great east Asia civilization. The Viet people may admire Korea's economic success, their pop culture but they are seen among the groups of unpredictable.

Ha ha ha Chinese aren't racists?

As for Koreans. You may not know it. The south Koreans soldiers were the ones that committed ones of worst war crimes in Vietnam during the war. It is as if they wanted to show their American master what they are capable of. So did they so similar things in China under the banner of Imperial Japan. There are enough sad stories how many Korean husbands mistreated and even killed their Viet brides. Great east Asia civilization. The Viet people may admire Korea's economic success, their pop culture but they are seen among the groups of unpredictable.

Korean the barbarian. In the past, Korean women wear the clothing which doesn't cover their breast.

View attachment 375198

You are a substratum of Confucius cultural sphere and you lived quite peacefully under it for centuries.

View attachment 375199

Peace!
It is just a part of the story. True, Vietnam had been a very sino centric state for hundreds if not thousands of years. However Vietnam history dramatically changed after the decisive victory over the kingdom of Champa. The culture of the west and the south became our focus and received our goal for territorial expansion.

View attachment 375198

View attachment 375199

Peace!
Check again what your guy (chinese) hás commented. I quoted it again in bellow. There ís bést way for Vietnam when we have mỏre integrating in to South East Ásian community.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom