What's new

Sighted: A Secret US Aircraft in Afghanistan

aimarraul

Reaction score

f8fe178541ea942a61e770b51a47f8eb.jpg

Since April, a steady string of reports have detailed sightings of a mysterious, unidentified UAV prowling the skies above Kandahar. Grainy, Loch-Ness-Monster-like photos revealed a flying-wing-type aircraft with stealth features.

Now, the French blog Secret Defense has published the clearest photos yet of the secret plane, and the mystery has only deepened.

The plane pictured above is clearly a next-generation UAV, but the question of which next-generation UAV it is has led to some debate. At first look, Steve Trimble of The DEW Line thought it resembled Lockheed's Polecat. However, Popsci's resident UAV expert Eric Hagerman pegged the mysterious drone as Boeing's X-45. Then again, John Pike of GlobalSecurity.net noted "for every UAV program we know about, there's one that we don't know about," suggested the new UAV may be part of some previously unannounced program.

In many ways, the confusion only highlights the uniformity of the next generation of UAVs. Both the X-45 and the Polecat incorporate stealth features, resemble the flying-wing shape first perfected by the B-2, and have just enough development behind them that battlefield testing doesn't seem unreasonable.

Amazing. A mere seven years after the CIA carried out its first drone strike, the Predator's replacements have already arrived in theater.

[Secret Defense, via The Dew Line]

^^^^I read in another forum that its probably a photoshopped image. Why would anyone, in these times of 15-20MP cameras and 3-5MP cellular cameras, post such low resolution/grainy pics of a supposed stealth UAV/UCAV? That too multiple pics from apparently multiple sources?

Since April, a steady string of reports have detailed sightings of a mysterious, unidentified UAV prowling the skies above Kandahar. Grainy, Loch-Ness-Monster-like photos revealed a flying-wing-type aircraft with stealth features.

Now, the French blog Secret Defense has published the clearest photos yet of the secret plane, and the mystery has only deepened.

The plane pictured above is clearly a next-generation UAV, but the question of which next-generation UAV it is has led to some debate. At first look, Steve Trimble of The DEW Line thought it resembled Lockheed's Polecat. However, Popsci's resident UAV expert Eric Hagerman pegged the mysterious drone as Boeing's X-45. Then again, John Pike of GlobalSecurity.net noted "for every UAV program we know about, there's one that we don't know about," suggested the new UAV may be part of some previously unannounced program.

In many ways, the confusion only highlights the uniformity of the next generation of UAVs. Both the X-45 and the Polecat incorporate stealth features, resemble the flying-wing shape first perfected by the B-2, and have just enough development behind them that battlefield testing doesn't seem unreasonable.

Amazing. A mere seven years after the CIA carried out its first drone strike, the Predator's replacements have already arrived in theater.

[Secret Defense, via The Dew Line]

The UAV in question is the X-45C which is the next generation stealth UAV. what many will find surprising is it is designed to fly autonomously with no pilot at the controls. It is not a photo shopped image. who knows why the photo is grainy. I suspect the image was taken on the sly. meaning someone took a photograph knowing they were not allowed to. It wasn't a professional photo.

Boeing: Multimedia - Image Gallery - X-45

The UAV in question is the X-45C which is the next generation stealth UAV. what many will find surprising is it is designed to fly autonomously with no pilot at the controls. It is not a photo shopped image. who knows why the photo is grainy. I suspect the image was taken on the sly. meaning someone took a photograph knowing they were not allowed to. It wasn't a professional photo.

Boeing: Multimedia - Image Gallery - X-45

Err, no.
If you see carefully there are two intakes in the first pic (a slight curve right on the wings) and only one in the pic you posted.

Anyhow, a UCAV controlled by AI is a very scary idea/concept. No way would US congress allow such a weapon platform to be deployed anywhere (testing is a different game altogether). I for one wouldnt want an AI controlled, hellfire armed UCAV anywhere in a 1000 mile radius near me or my family.

Scenario: Terminator 3 -Rise of the Machines -----NOT WELCOME!

Would the next generation UAV decrease the civilian killings in anyway ???

nope! UAV only flies and carries weapons. The killing is done by those weapons fired by humans (and in a scarier scenario by the AI in the aircraft!!). No matter how "smart" these weapons get, there will always be civilian casualties - war/conflict is ugly.

anyways, it somehow reminds me of one of the Luftwafe's design in the WWII, i,ve posted its pics in the thread "10 most extra ordinary weapons"

I saw that and also saw the documentary about the plane. Awesome, isnt it?
That concept was the forefather of today's "flying wing" aircraft! Genius Germans!

Err, no.
If you see carefully there are two intakes in the first pic (a slight curve right on the wings) and only one in the pic you posted.

Anyhow, a UCAV controlled by AI is a very scary idea/concept. No way would US congress allow such a weapon platform to be deployed anywhere (testing is a different game altogether). I for one wouldnt want an AI controlled, hellfire armed UCAV anywhere in a 1000 mile radius near me or my family.

Scenario: Terminator 3 -Rise of the Machines -----NOT WELCOME!

Boeing X-45 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Boeing X-45 unmanned combat air vehicle is a concept demonstrator for a next generation of completely autonomous military aircraft, developed by Boeing's Phantom Works. Manufactured by Boeing Integrated Defense Systems, the X-45 is part of DARPA's J-UCAS project."

As far as the intakes the picture above is an early scale model. And most likely the current x-45c has some changes made to it from testing. And though they may be testing it in Afghanistan it is more meant to be used in high threat environments like Iran. Imagine a swarm of those going after Iranian S300 sites. They would have a far lower RCS value then even an F-22.

Last edited:
Here is an older article talking about the X-45 ability to autonomously attack targets in groups.

Boeing: Boeing X-45As Reach 50th Flight with First Simulated Combat Mission

"The two X-45As began the latest test, known as Peacekeeper, by departing from Edwards and climbing to altitudes of 24,500 and 25,500 ft respectively. Separated by approximately 25 miles and operating at Mach .65 (225 knots), the jets began their combat air patrol (CAP) mission to provide airborne alert over the exercise area. Tasked with suppression of enemy air defenses, the two vehicles were given two simulated pop-up ground threats to eliminate.

Once alerted to the first threat, the X-45As autonomously determined which vehicle held the optimum position, weapons and fuel load to properly attack the target. After making that decision, one of the X-45As changed course and the pilot-operator allowed it to attack the simulated ground-based radar. Following a successful strike, another simulated threat emerged and was subsequently destroyed by the second X-45A. The two X-45As completed their mission and safely returned to Edwards."

keep in mind even though they operate autonomously. they can be taken out of that mode and remotely piloted.

Imagine a swarm of those going after Iranian S300 sites. They would have a far lower RCS value then even an F-22.
One scenario, and I am not going to say whose, is based upon a known weakness of radar detection...

Definition: radar resolution cell
radar resolution cell: The volume of space that is occupied by a radar pulse and that is determined by the pulse duration and the horizontal and vertical beamwidths of the transmitting radar. Note: The radar cannot distinguish between two separate objects that lie within the same resolution cell.
All radars have this weakness. Basically, if two or more objects are small enough to fit inside a resolution cell, or if the transmitting radar is junky enough to have a very broad main beam, multiple attackers can hide inside a resolution cell once they analyzed the transmitting main beam and determine its minimum resolution cell and deceive the defenders as to the true size of the attack force. The F-22 and the F-35 may (or may not) have this capability.

:azn:

This is a known problem when facing the small F-16. A pair of F-16s can fly behind each other and as long as they are facing the transmitter, the pair will be seen as one target, until it is too late for the defenders. Very low observable unmanned autonomous attackers can use the same tactic. They can even array themselves to present a large target, or several large targets, on the defender's radar, then when the time is right, simply disperse and disappear into the clutter region and attack the defender individually.

here is a picture of the Lockheed pole cat. you can notice big difference between the X-45C and pole cat.

e6ae77a8cdfef53199aa9edf9cf430d1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom