What's new

Shutdown extended to Monday

If you guys are actually 22+- and talk like 80 year old bura
pointing fingers at each other, then sorry to say my countries
future is in dooms! <`&#65374;´>&#12288;

I miss my ABC generations!

I've heard that the strike will continue tomorrow, is that true? Has anyone read what happened at Bishwanath? It was like Tahrir Square. People were up in arms, they chased the awami terrorists under the protection of the police.

Very much angry for what happened in four days in the country.It proved again that our leaders dont love the country.They r just good for their own interests.

Some people has died.So many vehicles r burnt. What we got from that only destruction.

I am almost 21,
btw at your next birthday you ask your dad to buy you a helicopter,because these days Rahimafroz sells Bell helicopters in Bangladesh:cheesy:

helicopters are affordable certainly, problem is the 300% tax, which makes it not feasible. I want a motorcycle, i have to convince my parents for a bike this summer when i visit dhaka:argh:

BNP has no choice but to keep hortal and fighting going. Otherwise more leaders of BNP will be targeted.

I don't think ilias will turn up, the critical point of something missing is the first 48 hours, after that it is very rare someone turns up. He is probably dead by now resting in pieces in different rivers.

helicopters are affordable certainly, problem is the 300% tax, which makes it not feasible. I want a motorcycle, i have to convince my parents for a bike this summer when i visit dhaka:argh:
Yes bike gives more thrill than cars,but you can't get top class bikes because of govt. restrictions on engine's CC(200CC max.) and you may end up with Indian bikes.Oh i forgot you have connections,then you can make things go your way:D
But i would say go for Walton or there is one good looking Chinese bike "Megelli" !!

Yes bike gives more thrill than cars,but you can't get top class bikes because of govt. restrictions on engine's CC(200CC max.) and you may end up with Indian bikes.Oh i forgot you have connections,then you can make things go your way:D
But i would say go for Walton or there is one good looking Chinese bike "Megelli" !!

:lol:i wouldn't get on a walton or a megelli....i was thinking of a yamaha or a kawasaki. My buddy has a harley in dhaka, but i am not a harley guy. I will probably end up with a yamaha....ways wanted to ride a bike with a pretty girl sitting at the back :P....cars are a pain in the arse in dhaka during the day time...about time i get a bike!

:lol:i wouldn't get on a walton or a megelli....i was thinking of a yamaha or a kawasaki. My buddy has a harley in dhaka, but i am not a harley guy. I will probably end up with a yamaha....ways wanted to ride a bike with a pretty girl sitting at the back :P....cars are a pain in the arse in dhaka during the day time...about time i get a bike!
I said Walton because it is "amader ponno":D and Megelli is a hotcake now.Some of my friends got yamaha r15 v2 which looks cool but will be too cheap for you.Go hayabusa !!

I said Walton because it is "amader ponno":D and Megelli is a hotcake now.Some of my friends got yamaha r15 v2 which looks cool but will be too cheap for you.Go hayabusa !!

:lol:dekhi age ma'ke raji korte hobe

If Awami can digest Illiyas Ali matter without stiff resistance from BNP then we can say good bye to BNP and re welcome one party rule. BNP can not back of now. It's matter of survival. Now or never.

He may be still alive. Now, it's up to BNP to force Awami ***** league to free him. BNP must embrace it's alliance in this matter and initiate one point movement. Awami Bharti chamcha hataw, Bangladesh bachao. People of Bangladesh with them. BNP and alliance has nothing to loose but gain here.

I've heard that the strike will continue tomorrow, is that true? Has anyone read what happened at Bishwanath? It was like Tahrir Square. People were up in arms, they chased the awami terrorists under the protection of the police.
BRO, it was true that AWAMY cowards ran away from the police's protection, after seeing those state-terrorists taking severe beatings of villagers. That was the 'News of Bangladesh of last 6 years' to me and I just heard that BD's masses weren't buying RAWAMY's propaganda anymore and BNP/JI's fools got ascha mouka to take the fight to RAWAMY camp. Let's pray for the RAWAMY's fist and betterment of BD, Amen.

BTW, by the grace of Almighty, I promised to help some of the victim's families of RAWAMY terrorism and all patriots should follow suit IMO.

I don't think doing hartals would actually help finding him...

Maybe after he was found or revealed, then a hartal would have sounded more justified.

Sporadic clashes mark 3rd day’s shutdown

176a3cfc155050c51655ba07b0e754b420120425.jpg

Sporadic violence marked the nationwide shutdown enforced by the opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party-led alliance on Tuesday as pickets clashed with police, attacked and torched vehicles and hurled crude bombs disrupting life for the third consecutive day.
The third daylong strike at a stretch was enforced in protest against the killing of two opposition activists in Bishwanath of Sylhet and demanding return of BNP organising secretary Elias Ali who had disappeared on the night of April 17 along with his driver Ansar Ali.
A number of protesters were also arrested during the strike hours in the capital and across the country.
The acting BNP secretary-general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, came down hard on the government accusing it of pushing the country to further confrontation by ‘not returning’ Elias.
‘We maintain that the government has abducted Elias Ali. Now, the responsibility to return him lies with the government. It is pushing the country towards conflict,’ he told reporters being cordoned by the police in front of the party’s central office at Naya Paltan.
The BNP at a post-strike briefing said two party activists were killed, 2,142 were injured and 1,423 arrested during strike in past three days across the country.
The party’s standing committee member and senior lawmaker MK Anwar threatened to enforce ‘nonstop’ shutdown if Elias Ali was not returned. He also criticised the government for obstructing lawmakers from staging demonstrations on the parliament compound.
Police in Dhaka hardly allowed picketing of streets and broke up a number of processions prompting the demonstrators to go for hit-and-run attacks on vehicles, arson and blasting crude bombs at Rajarbagh, Agargaon, Mohakhali, Gulshan, Malibagh, Bangla Motor intersection, Karwan Bazar, Dhanmondi and Jatrabari.
In Dhaka law enforcers cordoned off the BNP headquarters for a third straight day on Tuesday. Police formed the cordon at the entrance to the office and allowed no BNP activists except some senior and central leaders to enter the building.
Pickets hurled crude bombs across the city in hit-and-run attacks, set fire to at least four vehicles and damaged a number of vehicles.
Police carried out a search in the house of BNP standing committee member ASM Hannan Shah at DOHS in the morning claiming that they had information of a secret meeting there.
Hannan Shah said police had come to search his house at dead of night without warrant or showing documents and he did not let them in initially. After sunup, police searched the home and returned empty handed. ‘This is nothing but harassment,’ he said.
’We had some information. We carried out the search on intelligence reports but found nothing,’ said Mirpur zone police deputy commissioner Imtiaz Ahmed.
Opposition activists attempted to take out processions at various places in Dhaka, including Mirpur, Dhanmondi, Azimpur, Tejgaon and Mohakhali but they were dispersed by police. BNP’s joint secretary general Rizvi Ahmed along with some activists tried to bring out a procession from the party’s central office but police did not allow them to come out of the building.
A pick-up van was torched by pickets at Tejturibazar near Farmgate, a parked bus was set on fire at Agargaon and a human hauler was set ablaze at Chawkbazar in the morning.
Pickets also damaged a number of buses and auto-rickshaws, including one carrying newsmen at Mohakhali. About 10 crude bombs were hurled one after another at in front of Mokakhali TB gate around 12:30pm, leaving some pedestrians injured.
Three similar improvised explosives went off in front of Rajarbag Central Police Hospital injuring a policeman and another in Kakrail area.
But no casualties were reported.
Police scuffled with BNP-leaning lawyers after they tried to come out of the Supreme Court compound in a procession.
Activists of ruling Awami League also demonstrated at places in the city against enforcement of strike. A procession of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal came under attack from Awami Juba League activists at Escaton. Chhatra Dal joint secretary Amiruzzman Shimul broke his leg in the attack.
For the first time in past three days of strike, activists of Jamaat-e-Islami brought out processions at Mirpur and Mirhajirbagh. Police charged batons on the procession at Mirhajirbagh.
The opposition-enforced shutdown badly affected the livelihoods of the poor who earn their living from day to day. Prices of almost all essential commodities sharply increased in the city because of the strike, multiplying the sufferings of low- and fixed-income groups.
Rickshaws and CNG-run auto-rickshaws ruled the city streets along with a number of buses but most vehicles stayed off the streets fearing vandalism.
All educational institutions, businesses, most shops and markets in the city remained closed. Higher Secondary Certificate examination for the day was not held.
The government offices functioned as usual. Several hundred buses remained parked at the three intercity bus terminals during the strike hours and no buses left Dhaka.
Train service was normal, said Nripendra Chanra Das, station master at Kamalapur railway station. Flights at Shahjalal International Airport operated as per schedule.
Passengers reaching Dhaka got stranded at terminals and at the airport for lack of transports.
All launches left Sadarghat terminal as per schedule with a small number of passengers, said Mahfuzur Rahman, traffic inspector of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority.
Reports from Gazipur said at least 30 people, including BNP activists and pedestrians, were injured in a clash between police and protesters at Tongi after police charged into a procession in Cherag Ali Market area on Dhaka-Mymensingh highway.
At least 50 people were injured in two separate clashes at villages Gotti and Ballavdi under Saltha upazila of Faridpur on Monday evening and Tuesday morning.
The first incident took place on Monday afternoon at Narayanpur of Gotti union where followers of Awami League leader Awal Matubber attacked supporters of BNP leader Moslem Matubber over establishing supremacy in the area. Twenty of the injured people were admitted to Faridpur Medical College Hospital and Faridpur General Hospital.
In the other incident at Ballavdi village, followers of BNP leader Basar Maulana and Awami League leader Khandaker Shahin clashed on Tuesday morning that left 20 people injured.
Reports from Thakurgaon said supporters of Awami League and BNP had clashed at Ranishankail on Tuesday after both the parties brought out processions in support and against the strike. Five injured activists of Chhatra Dal were admitted to Ranishankail hospital.
Reports from Chittagong said police had detained eight activists of BNP and its fronts for blocking traffic in the city. The detained activists included city BNP Mahila Dal president Monwara Begum Moni, also a ward councillor.
Pickets torched a bus in Alankar crossing and vandalised an auto-tempo at Chandgaon in the city. The bus was parked at the roadside and no passenger was in it.
The Chittagong Port Authority sources said loading and unloading of goods at the port jetties was normal during the strike hours but transportation of goods to and from the port remained suspended. Industries at Chittagong Export Processing Zone operated.
Pickets in Barisal city torched a truck, a bus and an auto-tempo and a three-wheeler, damaged some vehicles and rickshaws during the strike. Pickets also blasted some crude bombs and tried to block roads and highways by burning tyres and putting logs but law enforcers removed the blockade. Awami League and its fronts also brought out anti-hartal processions.
In Khulna, four activists of BNP were injured in a clash between opposition activists Awami Juba League men on KD Ghosh Road during the strike. Police also arrested five BNP men on the spot.
Pickets in Chapainawabganj damaged three auto-rickshaws at Sonarmore on Chapainawabganj-Sonamasjid highway in the morning. Police detained 12 activists of BNP in five upazilas in overnight raids. Import and export activities at Sonamasjid land port were normal on the day, but the imported goods could not be transported from the port.
Police arrested eight BNP leaders and activist in different parts of Rajshahi district during the strike. Five people were injured as pickets clashed with police who charged batons on a procession in the Women’s College crossing early in the morning.
Activists of Awami League vandalised the office of Kaunia upazila unit BNP in Rangpur around midday. Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas shells to bring the situation under control.
Awami League activists also set fire to the motorcycle of Abdur Rahim, president of Kaunia upazila unit Chhatra Dal.

Lack of transports causes city people to suffer

Residents of different parts of the capital suffered in the absence of transports on the roads while day-labourers did not get work during the countrywide three-day general strike.
Many people, however, said the cause of the general strike was doubtlessly logical though the city dwellers had to suffer for it.
The main opposition BNP and its allies called for dawn-to-dusk hartal for Sunday and later extended it for two more days, demanding rescue of the party&#8217;s one of central organising secretaries Elias Ali who remained missing since April 17.
Employees of government and non-government offices had to go to their offices on foot or in rickshaws or auto-rickshaws spending several times higher than the normal fair amid fear of violence.
Many were seen waiting at railway stations and bus terminals for hours to go long distances and the day-labourers at different places had to pass their days without work during the strike hours. The trains that left the Kamlapur station had to carry passengers even on the roofs.
The price hike of daily commodities in retail markets because of reduced supply also put extra pressure on the city people.
&#8216;I need to go to my office at Mohammadpur from my house at Sabujbag but due to hartal I set out earlier on foot, then took rickshaw to reach Kamlapur and finally got on an auto-rickshaw for Tk 250,&#8217; said a private job holder Amzad Hossain. He usually spends Tk 15 to go to office by bus.
&#8216;My shop did not open during the three days and so my employer will not pay me for the days,&#8217; said garment shop worker Mukti Roy residing at Basabo.
&#8216;I came from my workplace in Narayanganj in the morning to go to my Rajshahi city home to see my ailing mother and now I am waiting at Kamlapur to get a train,&#8217; Md Hashem from Sahebbazar in the Rajshahi city told New Age on Tuesday.
The Rajshahi-bound Silk City Express, that left Kamlapur at around 2:45pm on the day, carried passengers on its roof.
Shahin Ahmed, who buying daily commodities at Shantinagar market in the city, said vegetable prices had gone up by Tk 5 to Tk 10 per kg, putting extra pressure on the middle- and low-income group people.
He observed that though the issue of hartal was logical, political parties should find out alternative programmes to pressure the government, considering people&#8217;s sufferings.

Back
Top Bottom