What's new

Shouldn’t Tamil Eelam be in Tamil Nadu?

Shouldn’t Tamil Eelam be in Tamil Nadu?

• Total voters
14 official languages, aren't they consider as regional languages? Then why Hindi and English only?

That's only the half story. These 22 official languages have widespread official use in India. They are called regional languages only in conversations.

Can you tell me what was the percentage of Tamils in Sri Lanka in 1948 and now.

@Gibbs doesn't pakistan have urdu as its language even though half of the population is Punjabi, and over 70% understand and speak it?

What happened thee, Sindu gandhu I mean muslim gujurati politcians couldn't stand it? Same thing happened in India no??

Not clear what your trying to imply here mate.. But Tamil is a national language in the island along with Sinhala and English as the link Language.. Only Singapore has Tamil as a national language elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
my opinion means little here as i have ZILCH to do with that region, but i would strongly support such an idea and in fact this is a case Sri Lanka should ardently be in favor of. . .

many in TN themselves support the idea....and hopefully it will provide a way for indian territory to no longer be used for terrorist activity against Sri Lanka ---especially at a time when indians always yap and cry foul about others bringing problems to them

Yes, your opinion means ZILCH here, but VERY VALUABLE if the word "Sri Lanka" is replaced with "India" and "TN/India" with "Pakistan"

Not clear what your trying to imply here mate.. But Tamil is a national language in the island along with Sinhala and English as the link Language.. Only Singapore has Tamil as a national language elsewhere

What was the reason behind passing Sinhala Only act. :cheesy:

You said or someone said (don't want to re-read posts) that Sri Lanka is the only place where a language that only 10% speak is an official one. I asked about urdu and pakistan that's all. And that would be true before 71 especially no?

So, it's the same a small political elite or am I wrong?

Yeah I did say that.. And thanks I didn't really know about what you mentioned.. So is Urdu a minority language?? But isn't it the official language of the state??

Well Tamil language was used as a tool by the Tamil political elite to further their cause after gradually loosing influence after independence.. Add to that Tamil community has a rigid caste system unlike the Sinhalese,Moors and Burghers.. So they were reluctant to let go of that hegemony especially the Vellaya with other Tamils.. Mind you the architects of those early Tamil nationalism like G G Ponnambalam and Chelvanayakam couldn't even speak proper Tamil.. They were Oxford educated English speakers.. Infact they were instrumental in disfranchising Indian Tamils(Low caste indentured labour from TN bought by the British to work in the plantations in the 1800's) Not the Sinhala politicians..That's the irony of it all

inshallah tamil elum nado

tamil-nadu.jpg

why is everyone in pakistan so intrested in INDEPENDENT TMILNADU......am living in tamilnadu for years...... here no one needs independence from india...... v r all INDIANS first.....and v r proud to be so.......

That's only the half story. These 22 official languages have widespread official use in India. They are called regional languages only in conversations.

Can you tell me what was the percentage of Tamils in Sri Lanka in 1948 and now.

Census 2012
Sri Lankan Tamils around 11%
Indian Tamils around 4%

P0jyF8x.jpg

What was the reason behind passing Sinhala Only act. :cheesy:

It's not "Sinhala Only Act" it was "National Language Act"!

Back
Top Bottom