What's new

Should women in Pakistan be told what to wear?

Forget rome when in my room, tell your clothes get on the floor. okay I am joking i hope the mod are sleep.

If i have kids i will enforce the rule of clothes-modesty. if i have daughter i still want her to take up kick boxing, gymnastics, swimming. Health is important.

Culture is not stagnant, no matter what people say about "preserving" it etc. It evolves as time goes on. 20 years ago you would hardly see any girls in jeans in Pakistan. Now majority of the girls in urban centres wear them. Skirts etc are already worn by celebrities and upper echelons of society, give it another 10 years and they will be common place too.

Muslims have a religious duty to dress in a modest manner. It's the responsibility of each adult to live up to that standard themselves. I am deeply uncomfortable with the Saudi/Iranian moral police type setup and never want to see it anywhere.

I've see something which trends with many other countries. In countries undergoing rapid economic development and rapid population increase (causing a lot of young people; teenagers), the culture tries to control the modesty of the women to incentives the men to work hard. As the countries stagnate at the end of these rapid growth periods, the cultural norms relax to give incentive to the women to work harder. China is currently switching to female participation focused domestic consumption to create economic growth, while America is trying to go back to conservatism to incentivize higher male productivity. Pakistan is getting CPEC investments and will see a lot more competition for good jobs.

I don't know if there is a economic theory about this, but its something I've noticed.

I agree. Culture is not stagnant but I am. My rules are fixed and will go when I breath my last gasp of air. Elbow/kneecap rule stays in place until then.
Interesting.....I just want to be devil's advocate and enquire what rules do the women impose on you

Obviously yes . If father and brother are telling you to dress modestly around males then obey them .
Women should also have the right to go along the fashion .
I've always covered my head infront of family males , brothers and father . When in females , I would wear jeans , half sleeves or such easy dresses .

I've saved the most beautiful me for mah future partner .

Personally my opinion on the matter is that as long as you're not naked on the streets you should be able to wear whatever. But Pakistan is an extremely conservative society to say the least and in conservatism controlling women is an absolute must.

ABSOLUTELY

We cannot allow our women to embrace nudity and immorality under the garb of so-called FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. Pakistan needs to stick to Islamic values.

Culture is not stagnant, no matter what people say about "preserving" it etc. It evolves as time goes on. 20 years ago you would hardly see any girls in jeans in Pakistan. Now majority of the girls in urban centres wear them. Skirts etc are already worn by celebrities and upper echelons of society, give it another 10 years and they will be common place too.
You are confusing regress with progress.

Embracing nudity and immorality is regressing; not progress.

Back
Top Bottom