What's new

should Pakistan ban dowry and how to go about it.

Naheed Janjua

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In a recent survey released by Gallup Pakistan, 56 percent of Pakistanis believe that it is not possible for a girl to get married without a dowry. I would like to ask participants what they think is the solution to getting rid of this? Should we ban like India did in 1961?
Why Improving female conditions depends on outlawing dowry

Pakistan and India should ban dowry..... by confiscating the money and imprisoning both the giver and taker....... then the dowry culture will disappear really fast.

In a recent survey released by Gallup Pakistan, 56 percent of Pakistanis believe that it is not possible for a girl to get married without a dowry. I would like to ask participants what they think is the solution to getting rid of this? Should we ban like India did in 1961?
Why Improving female conditions depends on outlawing dowry
Yes 100% agree ban dowry officially but before that we as a society need to ban that i have a strict condition about my marriage no dowry we need to start from our own homes
@django @The Sandman @Moonlight

Working girls need little dowry for marriage.

Educating girls at par with Boys and creating meaningful jobs would be the permanent solution for dowry and female discrimination.

Laws and rules have no effect on dowry .India has the most stringent law for dowry since 50 years but dowry is still rampant.

Yes 100% agree ban dowry officially but before that we as a society need to ban that i have a strict condition about my marriage no dowry we need to start from our own homes
@django @The Sandman @Moonlight
Yes it should be banned and who ever takes it or gives it should face imprisonment of 2-3 years and pay a heavy fine.

Laws can help a little but the true change will come through proper education and awareness. The best way is the govt should work closely with religious scholars and imams of the massajid to make people aware of the simplicity and how sinful the act of demanding the dowry is in Islam. Dowry is given just like a gift for the newly married couple who is start the life as a family unit in the society, The problem starts when the people think it is their right and they deserve it because luckily gave birth to a male child so now they are entitled. Also the part of the problem are parents of the boys and even girls. I have seen multiple times that boys themselves are not so keen on getting dowry and some even refuse but their parents oppose them and demand dowry because since those pathetic-beings gave dowry to their daughters so they think it is their birthright to demand truck loads of dowry and expect those are fulfilled by the parents of the girl.
I'm lucky in that sense that my parents are well educated both academically and religiously so they are not in favour of dowry and simply i have everything that a man can long for so I will not disgrace myself by accepting dowry...a few gifts likes some cloths, perfumes and other items of her personal use are okay but no need and permission for items for domestic use like TVs, Cars, refrigerators etc..
Accepting dowry is unmanly and demanding it is downright disgusting, disgraceful and cruel.
So let's be man enough to say no to dowry and change the society starting with the personal example.

Last edited:
Some use dowry as a way to give the girl's share in ancestral property.

When I got married I only took one suit and one ring and that was after my in laws complained. My father in law who was a very rich man asked me several times what I would like.
I replied I want the thing that you have which is worth more to you than your daughter.

Alhumdulillah no issues in my marriage. Greed and dowry are not good

Pakistan and India should ban dowry..... by confiscating the money and imprisoning both the giver and taker....... then the dowry culture will disappear really fast.
Dowry is banned in India like for 40+ years now.

Banning dowry would work exact like One Dish Principle did..

Its been penetrated to our customs and one having strong ethical values can stop it on individual level..

Dowry is simply idiotic tradition. Unfortunately it is still under process in Pakistan with full swing. No matter what law you pass the tradition will follow unless the people change their attitude. Because girl's parents always think that their daughter will be treated badly if she is not given proper dowry. Or In worst case scenario girl will not be married at all. And it has so much penetrated in our system that during my marriage me and my mother told my in laws strictly that we will not accept dowry. They were like are you serious for marriage or not lol :-)

:lol: You mean sons should be handed over everything while girls should be deprived of even dowry.

On a personal note well give girls their due share in property instead of dowry.

Again there the subject of dowry is subjected to detailed debate and assessment of different cultures within our country.

All these years we have been debating this dowry issue on this very forum and every time I had to tell this that dowry and forced dowry two different things but implication of both have demerits in some cases.

Besides the situation in different areas is different for example the culture in KPK is bit different than Punjab (am giving example of these provinces because I grew up in KPK hence know while I have many relatives in Punjab and know the dowry culture there as well). In KpK it is bridegroom and his family that is burdened instead of the bride and her family.

Here dowry is not demanded but if the girl's side want to give anything to their daughter that is their wish while the bridegroom is asked to name some part of the property after the bride also the bridegroom in many cases is forced to give gold (every family of most of the girls has different demand ranging from at least 5tolas to 10 and in few cases it even up to 50 tolas am witnessed to one such case), besides Ha Mehr :).

There is still this culture of costing the bridegroom barat ka khana in many areas of KPK.

While in Punjab there is still this culture of asking for dowry by the bridegroom family. The girl's side is even asked to give a car or motorbike in many cases.

Now as far as banning this dowry thing well people won't even the girl side won't agree to that so what we need a law where you can fix the value of total dowry to certain amount. Just like One dish party (Though that is also not followed properly).

BUT yes we need to curb this menace .

Back
Top Bottom