What's new

should Pakistan ban dowry and how to go about it.

And outright ban is not appropriate. However, dowry should not be a condition for marriage.

If a girl wants to bring some assets with her to her new home (by her own choice), then no harm in it. In-fact, both husband and wife will benefit from those assets and the guy won't be under pressure to purchase everything on his own unless he is a millionaire.

Marriage is not just about love, it is about economics as well.

Otherwise, ban Mahr too.
Religious compulsion in Mahr, In Islam it is the duty of the man to provide, not the bride. This is a type of the freeloader mentality destroying our country.

And outright ban is not appropriate. However, dowry should not be a condition for marriage.

If a girl wants to bring some assets with her to her new home (by her own choice), then no harm in it. In-fact, both husband and wife will benefit from those assets and the guy won't be under pressure to purchase everything on his own unless he is a millionaire.

Marriage is not just about love, it is about economics as well.

Otherwise, ban Mahr too.
Then why the hell is he getting married if he can not provide for his family, his wife or his children?

Religious compulsion in Mahr, In Islam it is the duty of the man to provide, not the bride. This is a type of the freeloader mentality destroying our country.

Then why the hell is he getting married if he can not provide for his family, his wife or his children?
Have you read Holy Quran properly?

You know about Mahr but you don't know about the verse that states a man can marry if he wishes to improve his socio-economic status.

Allah Almighty is all-knowing and wise in his judgement. First read the holy Quran properly.

My point is that dowry should not be a "requirement." However, if a girl wants to bring her wealth and assets to her marital home (by her choice), state has no right to stop her from this.

Last edited:
I think the problem in this sort of discussion is that we recognize that a concept can be used for both good and evil. It's how you use it that matters. So lemme explain my personal opinion in a bit detail.

-First of all, obtaining dowry from the wife's family under pressure should be classified as extortion because, it is literally the slam dunk definition of extortion.

-Secondly,as a potential husband, I don't know about the guys here and I know how difficult the economic conditions are today and the state of unemployment etc. but taking things from the family of my better half, as a dude, is emasculating. I would much rather earn my way up the ladder then taking handouts under the name of "dowry".

-Thirdly, as a father, I would want my daughter to have comfort in her new home. Now the average marriage age of the husband and the wife as per wiki, is 21 in Pakistan. At 21, if your a good student, your in your 15th year of education, about to get in to your last academic year, where most of the students graduate and enter the job market. Now unless you have a family business, or your an entrepreneur etc. you won't be earning that much. As a father, I would have to see your character and potential to make a decision about giving you my daughter's hand in marriage and hope that everything goes well.

Bearing all those realities in mind, if I want to give my daughter some assets that are going to help her, as gifts ... then I would like to know the reasoning of the fellows that want to outright ban it. And these assets do not have to be cash or anything, it can be functional things such as a refrigerator, a washing machine, a microwave ... so that the lifestyle she is used to isn't as affected, when she gets married to a fellow who has just started or is about to start his career.

Last edited:
I m strictly against dowry system...

I'll only take my wife frm the sasural nothing els :p

Just one year ago a family of 17th grade Government officer came to see my first cousin and directly ask how much land is in the name of Girl
Around 30 families visited them in 2 years and almost all of them have different ways to enquire how much property or wealth this girl will bring and these families include all kind of idiots educated , beerd ,secular , religious all of them and I am sure those who will are saying it should be banned when time comes most of them will do the same ....

:lol: You mean sons should be handed over everything while girls should be deprived of even dowry.

On a personal note well give girls their due share in property instead of dowry.
In Islam, the daughter has to be given her due share in the property. But in our uneducated society, most of the people do exactly the opposite. We spend over on the wedding ceremonies to show off which is strongly discouraged in the religion but we deny our daughters their sharai share in the property.

If one dish policy can be implemented why not no dowry policy?

That one dish policy is another uneducated law introduced by a gimmicky uneducated chief minister. What right does he have dictating a man's house's affairs? You can't snatch a man's right in pretense of safeguarding another's. Why stop there then? Why doesn't he also ban all over-priced clothes? Expensive cars? Big houses? Wastes our tax money while dictating where we can and cannot spend our own cash....his is not that right.

He comes up with these stupid ideas because he knows that they will get noticed. Like that insanely stupid laptop scheme.

Our people only respond at force of danda

Because no one has ever tried anything else. And what of this 'danda' which only works on the poor and weak? What we need is good quality state sponsored education with strong social awareness programs which eliminate the thought processes leading to these moronic societal pressures. But he wouldn't do anything about that now would he?

Back
Top Bottom