What's new

Should Pakistan aim for BOTH IP pipeline as well as TAPI pipeline

How many Pakistanis opt for both IP as well as TAPI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IP is more realistic now and Pak should use IP only for domestic purpose.

As for TAPI its big no.

killing our 60000 is not enough for you to understand ? you indians live in dreamworld . in real world pakstani forces and people are front line in this war and facing taliban face to face . do you thing its need 10 years for mullah umer to order TTP is haram and fighting pakistani public and army is not jihad ?
afgan taliban(good taliban) are not ttp and they wont blow your pipeline.. 8-)

Can't we have both??? Sheesh! (yeah, i know, that is a far fetched idea and not possible for now but would be ideal).

TAPI = project of asian development bank and represents a jab at Iran

IPI = purely contingent on how peace talks and sactions easing plays out....Iranians need to make up their minds vis a vis price mechanism so that it conforms to international standard (and Pakistani side need to stop the mind games and stand firm on a decision)

ideally - a pipeline that would feed an energy hungry China would yield major returns to Pakistan; as would investment in domestic shale gas sector

Can't we have both??? Sheesh! (yeah, i know, that is a far fetched idea and not possible for now but would be ideal).

one word:

security

Any line going through the himalyas is a big challenge. I think China need another 10 years to improve its infrastructure in West China. Practically, China would access this oil through Gwadar port through sea.

So I believe, a pipeline network only in Subcontinent would come into picture. And with sanctions away from Iran, the pipeline from Iran will reach India. only IP wont be a economical affair for Iranians due to the amount of oil consumption in Pakistan.

Now, this again opens up another geostrategic situation. If India manages to build Chabahar, then Iranians would like to use this port for Export rather than Gwadar and directly deal with Chinese. Hence, again only IP wont see light due to Iranian's interests.

Hence, I believe that without India into picture, Iranian pipeline wont see light given condition that Chabahar port becomes active and now with lifting of sanctions, it seems a possibility.

Both of course. Relying on just one country for imports is never good. They gain leverage over you then.

I Whole Heartedly Agree Infact Oil And Other Resources From Landlocked Central Asia Should Be Channeled Via Pakistan To Global Level Considering India Is Also Trying To Jump Into It By Building Chabahar. But You Didn't Put The Option For Bot Iran and Turkmenistan!!

I did give the third option for both but when it posted , the third option disappeared. I don't know if @WebMaster can fix that. If he could, that would be much appreciated.

Using these pipelines as an interim measure - Pakistan MUST install a 10-15000 MWtt nuclear capacity in the next 15 year period.

We should continue to build the Nuclear Reactors as that is a different project and a necessity in its own right. Eventually our Energy should be met through Hydroelectric, Solar , Wind and Nuclear with Gas to fill in for the shortfall. We have to pay for the gas but the other four projects are sort of free after the initial Investment ( there will always be a small Maintenance cost, of course ).

Last edited:
@Pakistanisage | Sir, we in an ideal situation should be installing large scale nuclear energy facilities. After fulfilling our demands, we must be able to sell the surplus power to Iran and India.

Using these pipelines as an interim measure - Pakistan MUST install a 10-15000 MWtt nuclear capacity in the next 15 year period.

10-15K MW Nuclear Reactor would cost around $20 Billion min.

Plus since Pakistan doesn't have NSG waiver nor does it itself posses any huge reserves of Uranium therefore Uranium supplies for such large scale reactors also remains questionable.

IMO a mix of nuclear + thermal(similar to the 4000MW thermal plants being installed in India) reactors would better.

Now that the long awaited Iran Nuclear deal has been reached with the World Powers, it appears that the long awaited Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline may pick up momentum. I think Pakistan should also work on the TAPI Project and make that a reality. Having two sources for our Energy needs will diversify our risks for depending on just one source. Also it will create competition which will keep prices in line. TAPI project which will originate in Turkmenistan will benefit Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. The project will also earn royalties for Pakistan from India for the passage of Gas Pipeline. It will also build our relations with an important country in Central Asia and give us leverage in that relationship.

That "appearance" is misleading. The IP project will remain in the doldrums.

Now that the long awaited Iran Nuclear deal has been reached with the World Powers, it appears that the long awaited Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline may pick up momentum. I think Pakistan should also work on the TAPI Project and make that a reality. Having two sources for our Energy needs will diversify our risks for depending on just one source. Also it will create competition which will keep prices in line. TAPI project which will originate in Turkmenistan will benefit Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. The project will also earn royalties for Pakistan from India for the passage of Gas Pipeline. It will also build our relations with an important country in Central Asia and give us leverage in that relationship.
Actually we will have to wait as its still not clear so as to what are the actual concessions being allowed to Iran. IMHO, the sanctions worth 7 Billion USD on oil exports have been eased. And any further easing would depend upon how the deal remains in tact. So I am not sure that IP Pipeline may be available to Pakistan as once the financial sanctions are removed,we can easily finance it using multilateral lenders.

Dont you already have plans for it?
India has Long Term Nuclear Energy targets to make sure it constitutes 10% of our energy requirements in a decade.

These plans are already afoot being built in various States of India.

@Pakistanisage | Sir, we in an ideal situation should be installing large scale nuclear energy facilities. After fulfilling our demands, we must be able to sell the surplus power to Iran and India.
Doubtful you would be able to sell to India or Iran.

Iran is an oil producing state. Once sanctions are removed, it wont take much for them to get some international companies to setup power generation plants because of easy and cheap availability of fuel.

India is already progressing towards Power surplus. Each State of India is planning to be either power adequate or power surplus. And more and more States are reaching that goal. Its become a competition between the States. The only Country that India buys energy from is Nepal and Bhutan and that is because we build the Dams there ourselves and transfer cheap hydropower from it.

Its highly likely that India would be gunning to sell electricity to other States ourselves.

The only Nation that Pakistan is sure to be able to sell electricity to is Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom