What's new

Shocking Photos of Cramped Hong Kong Apartments

It might be enough. But the point is that a country becomes richer in the real sense - per capita - faster, when there is limited population growth.

And while China may be able to support all that population - smaller countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan need to control their population as our countries, or at the very least India and Bangladesh have started having severe land resource strain.
If the sociologists and anthropologists are correct, increased wealth results in a gradual decrease in birth rates. Childhood mortality decreases, people living longer and healthier. So the people seems less urgent to reproduce. There are plenty of public literature about that phenomenon.

If the sociologists and anthropologists are correct, increased wealth results in a gradual decrease in birth rates. Childhood mortality decreases, people living longer and healthier. So the people seems less urgent to reproduce. There are plenty of public literature about that phenomenon.

What they say is true and that is what is happening in India. Its slow nonetheless.

So your family is relatively well-off as they own a flat.

Actually property prices in HK are among ones of the priciest in the world. The recent problem is due to continuing influx of Chinese mainland capital that is pushing the price higher and higher. There is a lot of speculative money under way.

How much is PCM? you mean HK Dollar?
These cases are designed for people to sleep. They go working elsewhere.

Well, my Mother had a very successful textile business before she passed away several years ago, She still hold the deed to the apartment we had in Tuen Mun. Which today worth about 1.5 Millions Hong Kong Dollars. The reason why it's still in her name is because none of us wanted it....I have my own home in Sweden and Australia, my brother have his own home so.....

My brother is a Boeing Engineer travel everywhere, so go figure :)

PCM is real estate term of Per Calendar Month. Which mean monthly rent.

Once they have their independence status and the war with mainland breaks out, their and YOUR property price will drop dramatically. May be your family would be killed too.

Is that a threat? But let me tell you this, you are too late, my mom is dead for a few year and unless you can travel to Boeing Assembly Plant in Arizona and kill my brother, i don't think you can kill my Brother.

So better luck next time. ROFLCOPTER

Prove you are not ex HK resident, 580 Square feet, take is as 600 square feet cost you 8 million HKD, why? because there are always two price tag, one is include public space eg garden platform, one is exclude it, it is call Net Floor Area, if you want your apartment has 600 square feet, you have to buy a "800 square feet" one, and the latest price of square feet of the HK major estate is 9000~12000HKD. But HKer don't worry, HK real estate price will drop due to the counter measure carry out by the CCP of the independence movement.

lol, dude, THAT PROVE YOU ARE NOT A HK RESIDENT.....LOL

Depend on where you bought your properties, it is not at least 9000/sq ft.

There are many different housing in properties market. YOu got ex private estate, ex government housing, aboriginal housing (丁屋) and you got 居屋. Not everything needed 9000 per sq ft to start.

Just to show you are wrong, my Mom place is a 2 story Aboriginal Housing (3rd Floor + Roof) If wesold the place tomorrow, we got 3000 per sq ft. And the price will not be more than 1.8 millions over 780 Sq Ft Actual size and you can find many of these which are ex government housing or 居屋 for sale and you do not need to comp the stamp duty unless you resell it.

http://web.centanet.com/findpropert...-0f9a-4e92-9fc8-9848bc1315ab&posttype=S&src=S

Build Size 711 Sq Ft, Actual size 550 Sq Ft. Sold for 2.10 Millions (4.20 after stamp duty)

So, frankly sir, YOU ARE WRONG.

We are? :lol:

Kid, I work with engineers from mainland China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore. I have been to each of those countries. I know what a 'middle class' person, as defined by their countries, live like. Not one of them have the same living quarters as an average American 'middle class' person/worker. My house is 3000 sq/ft, 1500 top and 1500 basement, and a 2 SUVs garage with attached workshop, all on .25 acre. That is practically a mansion in HK.

If you want a real mansion, you should live here in Australia.

My place is a 200 sq meters with another 50 sq mtrs front and back yard, rent only 1200 AUD per month :) Which is a little over 1000 USD per month

We can afford a very big houses in Australia as we are more or less the same size than United States, but we have 15 times less the population. Out here, if you don't have a car, you are screwed.

This is public housing, the rent is very cheap, does Indian poor people have this kind of apartment ? Indians can only sleep on the street.

This is not public housing (Actually it can be) it's a so called "Cages" 籠屋. WHich can be a public housing but people illegally seperately into differnt sector in the same house and rent it out to a lot of people, i can assure you the one show in the Picture is illegal. And definitely not Public Housing in HK (I used to live in a Public Housing Estate (屋村) In Shek Kip Mei

I have seen worse in general compartments of some Indian trains, but both are different cases.

This is different than Indian Train i think..........

As the one you see with the picture here is almost surely illegal

No one is cheer leading here. Its just news and read it as it is. It does not talk only about the poor or the living standards of HK. It just shows that there are also these kinds of dwelling where people live. These exist in almost every country and is not reflective of the country or people or of the government.

Geez you folks are too touchy.

look at some of the disparaging comments from some cheerleaders here (#3; 4; 9)!

We are? :lol:

Kid, I work with engineers from mainland China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore. I have been to each of those countries. I know what a 'middle class' person, as defined by their countries, live like. Not one of them have the same living quarters as an average American 'middle class' person/worker. My house is 3000 sq/ft, 1500 top and 1500 basement, and a 2 SUVs garage with attached workshop, all on .25 acre. That is practically a mansion in HK.

How many years ago, old man?
What is the price of the average american property vs that of HK per measurement unit? America is spacious - by crook or by hook!

Holy sh*t, that's small

Poverty sucks.

Claustrophobic's will have severe panic attacks in those rooms.

look at some of the disparaging comments from some cheerleaders here (#3; 4; 9)!

Can you kindly explain why the above comments are disparaging or cheer leading? They are just one liners commenting on this particular article and poverty in general.
Please don't take start getting hurt even with such minor comments.

How many years ago, old man?
What is the price of the average american property vs that of HK per measurement unit? America is spacious - by crook or by hook!

errr............ you know nothing about HK, HK only has three industries, one is retail, one is finance, another is real estate, the top collage graduate with scientific major can only apply for lecture assistance in collage which earn 9000HKD(7200CNY) a month, or else secondary school teacher, very few of them is lucky/sharpen enough to be in financial product design, no surprise some of them go to the US to find a better career path and income .. there are engineer form mainland(from what i heard) earn 50 thousand CNY monthly in California.

If you want a real mansion, you should live here in Australia.

My place is a 200 sq meters with another 50 sq mtrs front and back yard, rent only 1200 AUD per month :) Which is a little over 1000 USD per month

We can afford a very big houses in Australia as we are more or less the same size than United States, but we have 15 times less the population. Out here, if you don't have a car, you are screwed.
But...Do you think that contribute to the urban 'over population' perception problem?

People do not want to live far from their places of work and play and in Vegas, it is The Strip. Everywhere else I have been, the 'downtown' areas are always the most desirable in terms of business and residences. There are always 'old districts' where houses and plots are smaller but more expensive. When I was in Basic, we had recruits in our flight who came from New York City and never had driver's licenses. As more people are attracted to city life, land prices will rise for both business and residences. Plots will get smaller. Homes will be stacked -- apartments. And rents for all will be more costly as time passes.

Can you kindly explain why the above comments are disparaging or cheer leading? They are just one liners commenting on this particular article and poverty in general.
Please don't take start getting hurt even with such minor comments.

all of the people pictured are way better off with clean running water, 24x365 hours of uninterrupted power supply, flushing toilets, free education up to secondary level, government subsidies, charitable orgs donations in food/clothing/toys; free access to parks, library, computer and multi-media facilities; subsidized bus fare for the elderly ... to say "holy sh*t"; "poverty sucks" "Claustrophobic's will have severe panic attacks " on sight of a few photos are grossly offending without knowing the other massive supports that the HK government is giving to these less fortunate people.

There is no barrier for upward mobility of the folks here unlike the heavily shackled caste/religious systems that bar certain segments of the people from advancing in many other countries!!!

errr............ you know nothing about HK, HK only has three industries, one is retail, one is finance, another is real estate, the top collage graduate with scientific major can only apply for lecture assistance in collage which earn 9000HKD(7200CNY) a month, or else secondary school teacher, very few of them is lucky/sharpen enough to be in financial product design, no surprise some of them go to the US to find a better career path and income .. there are engineer form mainland(from what i heard) earn 50 thousand CNY monthly in California.

I am not in anyway refuting the income disparity between some more developed countries and China. But for a case like HK where in general it is fairly well developed and it is operating in fiscal surpluses YoY. All I can see is the increasing # of US poor that has prompted the media attention to focus on HK's poverty with an attempt to relieve the us government's pressure during immense curtailment on public expenditure.

all of the people pictured are way better off with clean running water, 24x365 hours of uninterrupted power supply, flushing toilets, free education up to secondary level, government subsidies, charitable orgs donations in food/clothing/toys; free access to parks, library, computer and multi-media facilities; subsidized bus fare for the elderly ... to say "holy sh*t"; "poverty sucks" "Claustrophobic's will have severe panic attacks " on sight of a few photos are grossly offending without knowing the other massive supports that the HK government is giving to these less fortunate people.

There is no barrier for upward mobility of the folks here unlike the heavily shackled caste/religious systems that bar certain segments of the people from advancing in many other countries!!!

No that was not the intention. The comments were made based on this article. There might be a bigger picture, but the comments were based on this article.

Also you seem to be in the opinion that upward mobility in "many other countries" is heavily shackled, which again is not true. There are two sides to the coin in those countries as well.

No that was not the intention. The comments were made based on this article. There might be a bigger picture, but the comments were based on this article

then it is indeed "claustrophobic" on the part of the mentioned posters who base on the article alone to comment without understanding the real situation of the place where the people concerned live in!

Also you seem to be in the opinion that upward mobility in "many other countries" is heavily shackled, which again is not true. There are two sides to the coin in those countries as well.

the caste system in india is still very much alive and many women/ minority/ minority religious followers are discriminated against their advancement.

then it is indeed "claustrophobic" on the part of the mentioned posters who base on the article alone to comment without understanding the real situation of the place where the people concerned live in!

the caste system in india is still very much alive and many women/ minority/ minority religious followers are discriminated against their advancement.

On one side you tell us to not have any bias and look at the big picture even with news articles related to your. On the other hand, you hold huge bias against India.
Can I call you "claustrophobic" too?

But...Do you think that contribute to the urban 'over population' perception problem?

People do not want to live far from their places of work and play and in Vegas, it is The Strip. Everywhere else I have been, the 'downtown' areas are always the most desirable in terms of business and residences. There are always 'old districts' where houses and plots are smaller but more expensive. When I was in Basic, we had recruits in our flight who came from New York City and never had driver's licenses. As more people are attracted to city life, land prices will rise for both business and residences. Plots will get smaller. Homes will be stacked -- apartments. And rents for all will be more costly as time passes.

It's a big different between Australia and America.

While both developed Country to begin with, but 80% of Australian Live in Urban Cities like Sydney and Melbourne. 80% of Australian are living in 15 Cities in the country. and 50% of Populate are living in the 4 Big City of Australia (Sydney, Melbourne,Brisbane and Perth) Which together have 12 million out of the 23 Millions country population.

List of cities in Australia by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Problem is, with the "Urban City" in Australia. There are only limited Amount of job available. You often turn out that you may live in City CBD but you are working edge of Town or actually working out of town as there are not enough job to go around feeding the community.

The Urban city are far and way beyond each other, the things is, while there are people in Sydney i know don't even own a car, but road travel in Australia is unavoidable and giving the Public Transport in those large city are not as crack up as used to be.

To be honest, when i was in America, i too lived in packed city like San Fransico and New York or even Miami-Dade, but the fact is, American usually travel within the same city to and from work. But out here in Australia. It's not uncommon to have a Sydney Sider have to travel 100K's and work in Wollongong or a Gold Coaster travel 100 K's to Work in Brisbane. And that would already be the case in Urban City. I know a friend who actually need to fly to work everyday as he live in Darwin and have to work everyday in Kimberly which is about 800 KM away.

Land price in Australia are high, ONLY if you lived in the City. But as i said before, the Land for City is not even 10% of all Australia. You have plenty of chance to get Obscenely Large Properties out here in Australia and people did do that from time to time.

Urbanization and Over Population is only a problem with overcrowded Country or city like America or Hong Kong. If you live here in Australia, unless you dead set on living in one of those big 4 Cities, it would not be a problem as we still yet to develope the other 90 % of our land.

Back
Top Bottom