What's new

Sharif govt puts Iran pipeline 'off the table'.

I dont think Pakistan is ready to accept 2 million Pakistanis back, a glimpse of which was shown to us few months back by SA
What you are talking about??

I dont think Pakistan is ready to accept 2 million Pakistanis back, a glimpse of which was shown to us few months back by SA
What you are talking about??

Pakistan has been talking big = Iran Oil Pipeline and Coal in Sindh, its Tanks since 5 years.....what happened?
Not 5 years ,this pipeline was proposed at 1999 or 1996(one of them) ,LOL

Last edited:
Congratulations, i predicted this the day Mr Al-Sharif became the PM.

He is being paid to screw the Iranians which is not in our interest but in the interest of the Arabian Peninsula.

Our Foreign policy has now been outsourced to Riyadh. Mr Al-Sharif is willing to sacrifice our national interests for personal gain.

Last edited:
Congratulations, i predicted this the day Mr Al-Sharif became the PM.

He is being paid to screw the Iranians which is not in our interest but in the interest of the Arabian Peninsula.

Our Foreign policy has now been outsourced to Riyadh. Mr Al-Sharif is willing to sacrifice our national interests for personal gain.

The issue is not who is in power, it is the project itself. Anybody other than NS, including IK, would have found it impossible to proceed with this project because of its many implications which were clear from the very beginning.

Iran gas project off the table: minister - DAWN.COM

530bf8cf3e0a9.jpeg

ISLAMABAD: Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi informed the National Assembly on Monday that the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project was now off the table.

“In the absence of international sanctions the project can be completed within three years, but the government cannot take it any further at the moment because international sanctions against Iran are a serious issue,” he said in reply to a supplementary question put by PML-N lawmaker Zahra Wadood.

Former president Asif Ali Zardari and his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had announced in February last year to complete the project in 15 months.

But analysts doubted the sincerity of the present government to follow up the venture because of close ties between the PML-N leadership and Saudi Arabia which is reported to be against the project.

Pakistan will have to pay a penalty if it failed to lay the $1.3 billion pipeline within its territory by December this year, but the petroleum minister told the house that the job could be done only after the lifting of sanctions against Iran.

Pakistan has been persuading Iran to review the timeline of the project.

Pakistan has oil and gas in land and in sea we need investment from Middle East only.

To all emotional yellers here. I said it a gazzilian times before that Unless US doesn't lift financial sanctions on Iran,
1-No donor would even touch the pipeline project from a hundred kilometers. No bank (Pakistani, International, Multilateral or Chinese) would like to have its US operations closed and US accounts frozen. Thats why even the Pakistani banks walked away from financing deal when PPP government asked them to arrange funding for the project.
2- The payment of Gas would not be possible in any major trading currency, nor other would take that risk. The only settlement option would be through barter or ACU both can't be used for large amount transactions and that's that.
It was foolish of PPP to entrap Pakistan by making commitment to the project which imposes performance penalties. Unless US doesn't lift sanctions on Iran, doing trade with Iran would always be a risky bet..

Pakistan has been talking big = Iran Oil Pipeline and Coal in Sindh, export of its Tanks and its aircraft since 5 years.....what happened?

Thar coal project has started... tanks (inferior version VTA1) sold to Morrocco,Bangladesh etc... offered to KSA etc... (countries showing interes).... JF-17 (visit the thread).... SMs sold made hundreds of million profit... recent deal worth 94 million $$ and 70 million $ for training...

Stop going into Pakistani as* to score brownie points.

You are jumpin on our d,,,, to score some...

Apologies to Iranian members, I defended Pakistan but I was wrong. Politicians have made Pakistan into a banana state, only idiots would sign a penalty agreement if they knew they weren't going to move ahead with a deal. Then again points scoring means more to politicians in Pakistan than actual development. So I guess in the end PPP gets a win over PMLN for making them look like idiots. :pop:

May be KSA will pay penalties or they will compensate for it in some way. But for Pakistan it is not good for future engagement won international projects.
This gives impression that GOP may change his decision based on external influence. In this highly tangle world of politics it is fine up to some degree. But when it comes to your economics and energy policies, one should always hold your ground.

Now there are passage to deal with Iran after their nuke talks with USA. Even Pakistan had secure some funds from some one after pressurizing USA or negotiating in exchange of attacking N. Waziristan terrorist hideouts. Any smart politicians should have took advantage of situation and had scored points.
India is about to pay 1.5 B USD to Iran, and Indian refineries increased their import as well in wake of improving Iran's relation with Western world.

I must say to all PDFians who was pointing fingers to India for backing u from deal, which has its own valid reasons. But India score civil nuclear deal that time and now we are back to importing from Iran.

Stop going into Pakistani as* to score brownie points.
I am not scoring any points,just stating a fact.India was also part of this project till 2006(probably),dont know what they did from 1999 till 2006.LOL

@Aeronaut, sir is it allowed to comment old threads related strictly to defemce or strategic matters??

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom