What's new

Shame map of India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah women are not safe in India... and this thing is increasing not declining.. lack of strict laws and corruption is behind this.

Sad :frown:

Stricter laws on rape in China but prejudices against women exist : Hutong Cat

Search Stricter laws on rape in China but prejudices against women exist Jan 2nd, 2013 @ 12:58 pm › Sutirtho Patranobis ↓ Leave a comment

Last week, a friend was taking a taxi back home quite late in the night. The taxi driver struck up a conversation after learning that he was an Indian. The conversation: how unsafe New Delhi and India were for women.

Another friend took the bullet train to spend New Year’s eve in sparkling Shanghai. Every time, he went out with his Chinese or expat friends, the conversation veered towards the ghastly incident of the gang rape in New Delhi.

The case was monitored closely by the state media in China, both in English and Chinese. The state-run Xinhua news agency kept track of the case from New Delhi, and later from Singapore, with frequent updates.

It was also discussed on Chinese micro blogs where many criticised India’s law and order situation. Some wrote that at least in India protesters could come on to the streets to show their anger against the authorities.

On Wednesday, Xinhua, sourcing a story from China’s national broadcaster, China Central Television (CCTV), did another story on the incident.

“The brutality of the case has made Indians confront the disturbing reality that sexual violence is a deeply entrenched problem in Indian society. Activists hope that the savage assault on 23-year-old young woman could shake off the taboo associated with sexual violence and make the authorities take such cases more seriously,” the report said.

Two days ago, the nationalistic Global Times newspaper carried a scathing opinion piece about sexual violence in India.

“The abuse of women in India is shocking. It has been reported that 572 rapes were recorded in New Delhi in 2011, and rape cases increased seven times in the past 40 years. However, those are just the tip of the iceberg. A recent report by the New York Times cited a 2010 survey on Indian women’s safety in public places, pointing out that more than one third of the women questioned in New Delhi had suffered sexual harassment in the previous year, but less than 1 percent had reported it to police,” the Global Times opinion piece said.

It carried on: “Six decades ago, China and India maintained a similar development level, but there has been a widening gap after China explored reform and opening-up. Analysts hold that India is about a decade behind China in economic development and three decades behind in social development.”

The piece went on to indicate that it’s India’s political system – parliamentary democracy – that has failed.

In China, the law on rape is stricter. Article 236 of the Criminal Law of the country says: “Whoever rapes a woman by violence, coercion or any other means shall be sentenced to fixed-term imprisonment of not less than three years but not more than 10 years. Whoever has sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 14 shall be deemed to have committed rape and shall be given a heavier punishment. Whoever rapes a woman or has sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 14 shall, in any of the following circumstances, be sentenced to fixed-term imprisonment of not less than 10 years, life imprisonment or death: (1) the circumstances being flagrant; (2) raping a number of women or girls under the age of 14; (3) raping a woman before the public in a public place; (4) raping a woman with one or more persons in succession; or (5) causing serious injury or death to the victim or any other serious consequences.”

Beijing for one is a safer city for women than Delhi. But what is problematic is that statistics on rape or other forms of sexual violence – like in most countries – are hard to come by. According to a report by the University of South Carolina, the US Department of State reported 31,833 rapes in China in 2007, though the Chinese government has not released official statistics for that year. In 2005, the last year for which official Chinese statistics are available, the official number was merely 15,000.

When some cases do grab attention, it’s often and sadly the woman, the victim – despite the high-pedestal tone taken by the state media over the New Delhi incident – who continues to be hounded.

“Another ironic, but sadly common phenomenon is that when a victim has reported a sexual assault to police, seeking justice, hoping for the violator to be punished by the law, if the violator is powerful or backed by someone important, the victim will be pressured to solve the problem quietly, mostly to save face for the violator and related parties.”

Sounds familiar? This is not about India.

The quote is from a piece by eminent social activist Zeng Jinyan – wrote for the Huffington Post in 2011 under the title: “Sex assault victims suffer twice in China.”

“It is difficult and frustrating for the victim to insist on justice, as the court usually won’t stand for it. Bringing public opinion to bear can force the authorities to change a little, but not enough. Most victims never receive full justice. Some even lose their lives as the price of resistance. They are still suffering twice,” she wrote.

Chinese general's son in gang-rape trial | World news | theguardian.com

Chinese general's son in gang-rape trial

Li Tianyi, 17, denies raping woman in Beijing hotel with four other men as high-profile case gets under way

Wednesday 28 August 2013 11.28 BST

chinese-general-son-li-tianyi-rape-trial

Li Tianyi, whose father is a general with the People's Liberation Army, is accused of raping the woman in February. Photograph: Reuters

Jonathan Kaiman in Beijing

A prominent Chinese general's teenage son accused of gang-rape denied the charges against him as his trial began on Wednesday, in a case that has triggered outrage about entitlement and misbehaviour among the country's privileged elite.

Li Tianyi, 17, stands accused of raping a woman in a Beijing hotel with four other men in February. Li claimed that he was drunk at the time and had no knowledge of the incident, according to state media reports.

Li's father, Li Shuangjiang, is a People's Liberation Army general and the dean of the music department at the army's Academy of Arts. His mother, prominent singer Meng Ge, was present at the Beijing courthouse on Wednesday, but refused to answer reporters' questions, according to China's state newswire Xinhua. The proceedings will not be made public because the defendant is an adolescent, Xinhua said.

The complainant did not appear in court for health-related reasons, her lawyer told the newswire. Li's family members have said that she was a bar hostess and argued that the case is one of prostitution, not rape.

The children of China's moneyed and powerful elite, often pejoratively referred to as "second-generation rich", are routinely represented in China's media and online chatrooms as spoiled, reckless and confident that their family connections put them above the law.

Li's case sparked controversy in July, when Tsinghua University law professor Yi Yanyou wrote on his microblog that the rape was less harmful because of the woman's profession. "Chaste women and prostitutes have different views on chasteness," he told the Wall Street Journal after the post went viral, "so [rape has] a different impact on them."

Li Tianyi was the second most-read topic on Sina Weibo, China's most popular microblog, on Wednesday afternoon; it has dominated Chinese newspaper headlines for weeks. This month the Beijing Times quoted an "insider" as revealing details of the rape. The report said Li and his friends forced the complainant into a hotel room and beat her after she refused to take off her clothes. Li allegedly raped her first then his friends followed. They allegedly gave the woman 2,000 yuan (about £200) and dumped her on the roadside.

Li has been in the spotlight before – in 2011 he and a friend, driving expensive cars without licences, attacked a couple that allegedly stood in their way as their five-year-old child looked on helplessly. Li was detained for assault and spent a year in a correctional facility, according to state media. His father offered the couple compensation.

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/comparing-asias-giants-china-and-india-on-rape/?_r=0

Comparing Asia’s Giants, China and India, on Rape By DIDI KIRSTEN TATLOW

Anupam Nath/Associated Press In December, Indian women participated in a silent procession to mourn the death of a New Delhi gang rape victim.

BEIJING — Women in China experience less sexual harassment in public places than women in India, two Asian nations with similar sized populations and fast economic growth which I compare, in terms of rape, in today’s Female Factor Letter.

A host of cultural and sociological factors probably account for that. And though the relationship between sexual harassment and rape may also be complex, researchers say rape is as big a problem in China as anywhere else.

According to The Hindu newspaper, Indian authorities first published data on rape in 1973, when life in China was still distorted by the Cultural Revolution which ended around when Mao Zedong died in 1976.

There are widespread, often anecdotal, reports of forced sex during that largely lawless decade, often carried out by power holders upon the powerless. Women wanting to escape political exile in the countryside, get an education or just survive may have parlayed sexual relations in which they were largely unwilling participants into advantage – a gray area when the power relationship is so unequal. It’s a factor that continues to figure today in discussions with feminists or researchers of rape in Chinese society.

Take the case of Li Tianyi, also known as Li Guanfeng, 17, whose father is a prominent army general and singer, detained last week in Beijing for allegedly taking part in a gang rape in the city.

According to Beijing News, the police this week denied widespread online reports that the victim, who has not been named, dropped charges against Mr. Li and four accomplices in exchange for financial compensation including an apartment, job and legal residence in Beijing. (Every Chinese has a “hukou,” or residence permit, which determines his or her legal residence and influences their life opportunities, and this woman was reportedly from out of town.)

“Criminal cases are brought by the prosecutors and cannot be withdrawn by the victim as they please,” the newspaper said, citing “official” sources. The case, which has attracted widespread attention in China, is still in the investigative stages “so one can’t even talk about the victim revoking the accusation,” the Beijing police were quoted as saying.

ALL

PREVIOUS POST I

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/comparing-asias-giants-china-and-india-on-rape/?_r=0

Comparing Asia’s Giants, China and India, on Rape By DIDI KIRSTEN TATLOW

Anupam Nath/Associated Press In December, Indian women participated in a silent procession to mourn the death of a New Delhi gang rape victim.

BEIJING — Women in China experience less sexual harassment in public places than women in India, two Asian nations with similar sized populations and fast economic growth which I compare, in terms of rape, in today’s Female Factor Letter.

A host of cultural and sociological factors probably account for that. And though the relationship between sexual harassment and rape may also be complex, researchers say rape is as big a problem in China as anywhere else.

According to The Hindu newspaper, Indian authorities first published data on rape in 1973, when life in China was still distorted by the Cultural Revolution which ended around when Mao Zedong died in 1976.

There are widespread, often anecdotal, reports of forced sex during that largely lawless decade, often carried out by power holders upon the powerless. Women wanting to escape political exile in the countryside, get an education or just survive may have parlayed sexual relations in which they were largely unwilling participants into advantage – a gray area when the power relationship is so unequal. It’s a factor that continues to figure today in discussions with feminists or researchers of rape in Chinese society.

Take the case of Li Tianyi, also known as Li Guanfeng, 17, whose father is a prominent army general and singer, detained last week in Beijing for allegedly taking part in a gang rape in the city.

According to Beijing News, the police this week denied widespread online reports that the victim, who has not been named, dropped charges against Mr. Li and four accomplices in exchange for financial compensation including an apartment, job and legal residence in Beijing. (Every Chinese has a “hukou,” or residence permit, which determines his or her legal residence and influences their life opportunities, and this woman was reportedly from out of town.)

“Criminal cases are brought by the prosecutors and cannot be withdrawn by the victim as they please,” the newspaper said, citing “official” sources. The case, which has attracted widespread attention in China, is still in the investigative stages “so one can’t even talk about the victim revoking the accusation,” the Beijing police were quoted as saying.

ALL

PREVIOUS POST I

I have one simple question.

Why does China give visa to Indians to go to China and carry out business in China?

Why does China allow Indian embassy and consulates?

WTF? Why do ugly communist dictator monkeys allow Indians to go to China?

What will maximum happen if China does not allow Indians to visit China? India will close China embassies, consulates, tourists, traders, so what? Let India do that. That is a good thing. There should not be any fcuking interaction between two mortal enemies, whatsoever.

Should I allow my mortal enemy to come to my house? NO.

When will the Chinese grow up? Listen, there cannot be India and China, one has to disappear for the sake of another.

Why do Chinese commie dictator monkeys allow visas to Indians?

If India is occupying Chinese lands, how and why ugly looking Chinese allow Indians?

Patriotic Chinese people must protest against this appeasement policy by the commie monkeys.

Why does China obey the Ruskies and allow Indians just to make Putin happy?

It is simple that if I allow my mortal enemy who is still illegally occupying my own lands to enter my house by giving him visas/ permissions, he will definitely rape my mother, sisters and other women of my family.

I should not and I must not allow my mortal enemies to enter my house, no matter what. If I have a penis, I must behead him before he enters the boundary of my house. That is what a wise guy must do.

A wise guy must behead his mortal enemy and play football with his head. This is universally accepted truth.

Why does China allow Indians to enter China?

Don't fcuking complain if poor innocent helpless Chinese girls are raped. You Chinese guys are responsible for it, because you cannot protect your own sisters. :angry:

It is simple that if I allow my mortal enemy who is still illegally occupying my own lands to enter my house by giving him visas/ permissions, he will definitely rape my mother, sisters and other women of my family.

I should not and I must not allow my mortal enemies to enter my house, no matter what. If I have a penis, I must behead him before he enters the boundary of my house. That is what a wise guy must do.

A wise guy must behead his mortal enemy and play football with his head. This is universally accepted truth.

Why does China allow Indians to enter China?

Don't fcuking complain if poor innocent helpless Chinese girls are raped. You Chinese guys are responsible for it, because you cannot protect your own sisters. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom