What's new

Serious Problems With Oplot Surfaced During Trials..

Manufacturing the Al khalid from scratch may take up to three weeks using current resources, technology and manpower. Note that it is a complex weapon system that combines technologies from both East and West. Integration of subsystems into the tank alone may take weeks. It is ironic that people commenting on things have no clue what they are talking about.
That's main problem of AK,we are procuring sub-systems even after 30 years and every year fat Babus are seen in Eastern Europe touring on GoP funds and buying nut bolts.

The Chinese contractor bit I strongly disagree with . There are factors holding production back which need tackling but where are the funds going to come from? The lee hes have sucked this country dry and 12 yrs of continuing conflict has not helped. This angle need resolution.
I think the utility of Oplot is the engine tech that PA wants. Even if we buy the faulty tanks but get the engine tech it would be worth it. Faults can be sorted latsr.
A

Hi Araz, engine tech was offered a long time ago, and there is no reason to link it to a tank purchase. Whatever money they want for engine tech can simply be paid without having to purchase a tank. If this was the case, then VT-4 would not be on trial as well. Nor would it take 2 years of tank trials.

Everything being said has serious logical flaws - "we don't have money - we cannot produce enough tanks - we don't have funds - we cannot outsource bottlenecked subsystems - we don't have money for a local tank but we want to purchase a foreign tank that costs more to buy and operate".

About corruption -
Are the politicians the only corrupt people in Pakistan? Or have military brown sahibs become quasi-business people too? When there is a problem - the solution is to blame the corruption of the politicians.

Fact is that Pakistan has always been corrupt and sold out - from the moment that the armed services of the British Raj and their civil service changed their flags and supposedly their loyalty from Britain to Pakistan, and then proceeded to takeover the country. From Ayub Khan to Musharraf, who now is a billionaire.

But that doesn't fully explain the problem, IMHO of why this need exists in purchasing Oplots. Everything being said is rationally flawed.

PS: I've visited many Pakistani industries all over Punjab conducting a survey for an IMF funded project and even have the opportunity to see Kamra and seen Mirages being rebuilt in the 1990s. I've never been to HIT though.

All potential candidates failed the trial, then what next?
Actually the improved VT4 passed all trials n the new and improved engine that it housed is brilliant n performed outstandingly. Plus the Chinese were very keen for PA to induct the tank in nos.
But for some reason our side was not very keen n only wanted the engine n hence the delay.

Last edited:
Actually the improved VT4 passed all trials n the new and improved engine that it housed is brilliant n performed outstandingly. Plus the Chinese were very keen for PA to induct the tank in nos.
But for some reason our side was not very keen n only wanted the engine n hence the delay.
PA maybe want the TOT of new engine. still good to know VT4 passed all trials. thank you brother.

All potential candidates failed the trial, then what next?

Altay?
80FFD31C-F4FB-4745-8832-9AB5A462B3A8.jpeg

still got engine problem to be fixed

I was hooting for Oplot, but i am glad to hear that VT-4 did pass all the trails , Pakistan got some real harsh conditions , so if VT-4 passes means that is one tough a$$ motha fucka :D
VT-4
AK-2
AK-1
that should be the way to go for PA

i think Pakistan now has a better and matured tank industry than Turkey, all they need is a good engine.(integral power pack, engine/transmission system).

I was hooting for Oplot, but i am glad to hear that VT-4 did pass all the trails , Pakistan got some real harsh conditions , so if VT-4 passes means that is one tough a$$ motha fucka :D
VT-4
AK-2
AK-1
that should be the way to go for PA
good news to me as well.

Too heavy. Different gun.

Any updates on VT-4 trials? I am not in touch with contacts lately.

PA maybe want the TOT of new engine. still good to know VT4 passed all trials. thank you brother.

Actually they do need ToT for engine badly and are looking for options. At the moment, we rely quite heavily on Ukrainian engines and three of our mainstay mbts run on their supplied powerplants. 5td for Alzarrars, 6td for UDs and 6td-2 for Al Khalids.

The problem is that no other engine has so far performed better than Ukrainian engines in the desert region so far. Perhaps a hope exists in the new Chinese engine.

Any updates on VT-4 trials? I am not in touch with contacts lately.

Actually they do need ToT for engine badly and are looking for options. At the moment, we rely quit heavily on Ukrainian engines and three of our mainstay mbts run on their supplied powerplants. 5td for Alzarrars, 6td for UDs and 6td-2 for Al Khalids.
IMO there won't be any ToT on diesel engines (be it for a light armoured vehicle all the way through to tanks) without picking up some/half of the tab on the costs. Ultimately, Pakistan will need to invest in a program much like Turkey. Besides Turkey (e.g. BMC), we'll need to look far and wide, maybe get creative - e.g. private Chinese companies, Poland, etc.

Hi Araz, engine tech was offered a long time ago, and there is no reason to link it to a tank purchase. Whatever money they want for engine tech can simply be paid without having to purchase a tank. If this was the case, then VT-4 would not be on trial as well. Nor would it take 2 years of tank trials.

Everything being said has serious logical flaws - "we don't have money - we cannot produce enough tanks - we don't have funds - we cannot outsource bottlenecked subsystems - we don't have money for a local tank but we want to purchase a foreign tank that costs more to buy and operate".

About corruption -
Are the politicians the only corrupt people in Pakistan? Or have military brown sahibs become quasi-business people too? When there is a problem - the solution is to blame the corruption of the politicians.

Fact is that Pakistan has always been corrupt and sold out - from the moment that the armed services of the British Raj and their civil service changed their flags and supposedly their loyalty from Britain to Pakistan, and then proceeded to takeover the country. From Ayub Khan to Musharraf, who now is a billionaire.

But that doesn't fully explain the problem, IMHO of why this need exists in purchasing Oplots. Everything being said is rationally flawed.

PS: I've visited many Pakistani industries all over Punjab conducting a survey for an IMF funded project and even have the opportunity to see Kamra and seen Mirages being rebuilt in the 1990s. I've never been to HIT though.
You raised some very valid points but I do see a few reasons for inducting oplot. These being upgrading the T-80UDs we have and getting access to many of the oplot's tech especially TOT on the engine. Remember that we only wish to import 100 oplot's and upgrade our T-80UDs to oplot standard.
https://quwa.org/2017/05/02/pakistan-may-negotiate-ukraine-100-oplot-m-main-battle-tanks/

You raised some very valid points but I do see a few reasons for inducting oplot. These being upgrading the T-80UDs we have and getting access to many of the oplot's tech especially TOT on the engine. Remember that we only wish to import 100 oplot's and upgrade our T-80UDs to oplot standard.
https://quwa.org/2017/05/02/pakistan-may-negotiate-ukraine-100-oplot-m-main-battle-tanks/

That still doesn't make rational sense because then you wouldn't need trials for 2 years including with the VT-4. You won't have a tank contest. What's the tank contest for? If you've already made up your mind you want x tank, you go for it...

Also, if you need an engine, you buy an engine. If you want to manufacture or buy the rights, you can pay for that. You don't need to buy a tank for it. Ukraine would hope to make x amount of money from selling a TOT of an engine. Pay them that, its that simple.

Thirdly, upgrading a tank doesn't mean you need to buy new ones. Upgrade packages are sold all the time. If you need to produce more tanks, you increase production rates.

It's like a biryani without salt - every excuse is there but the whole issue is illogical. Something is missing. dal me kala he.

Back
Top Bottom