What's new

Serious 'flaw' in the railway design of the dream Padma Bridge, vehicles will get stuck without enough headroom!

@Bilal9 bhai, can you explain what's going on... i read it... didn't get through my head... albeit sleepy

Apparently, from what I can glean from the news reports, the fault is not on the bridge itself. since trucks and covered vans will pass on the second level (roof) of the bridge, the railway line running inside the bridge itself. There is no shortage of headroom for vehicles, it is wide open to the sky.

The problem seems to be on the approach road overpass where vehicular traffic crosses the bridge approach for rail, underneath it. This is my understanding.

Anyways, there are enough people involved in this to correct the mistake, if any and however major/minor.

No need to worry.

Apparently, from what I can glean from the news reports, the fault is not on the bridge itself. since trucks and covered vans will pass on the second level (roof) of the bridge, the railway line running inside the bridge itself. There is no shortage of headroom for vehicles, it is wide open to the sky.

The problem seems to be on the approach road overpass where vehicular traffic crosses the bridge approach for rail, underneath it. This is my understanding.

Anyways, there are enough people involved in this to correct the mistake, if any and however major/minor.

No need to worry.
Lmao now that’s hilarious. How come no one noticed this.

There isn't a single road, highway or footpath in BD that isn't built super NARROW. So this doesn't surprise me one bit.

It's like people have completely forgotten we have over 160 million people in this country. Why does everything have to be built small? That's why there's traffic jams and road accidents. Buses and taxis literally hit each other head-on while overtaking or fall off into the roadside ditch for only ONE reason and that's not enough space or lanes on the road. People cross the road illegally for the same reason. When you have wide roads, people don't jaywalk. Even our government offices are tiny.

When you have a tiny mentality, you can't help but make everything undersized.
It is the legacy of too many people were born in a congested small land area. Moreover, land is further scarce because the road base has to fill up with soil excavated from the two sides.

At least, people are now aware that too many children in the past has caused many problems like it and people now do not produce many children. However, I am not sure how to widen a road on two sides. Dhaka is already very impossible.

However, Zilla/rural roads can certainly be widened by excavating river shoals/ Chars and fill the already dug channels at both sides of the roads. Expand the roads over the newly filled soil.

It is the legacy of too many people were born in a congested small land area. Moreover, land is further scarce because the road base has to fill up with soil excavated from the two sides.

At least, people are now aware that too many children in the past has caused many problems like it and people now do not produce many children. However, I am not sure how to widen a road on two sides. Dhaka is already very impossible.

However, Zilla/rural roads can certainly be widened by excavating river shoals/ Chars and fill the already dug channels at both sides of the roads. Expand the roads over the newly filled soil.

It's always the same answer from people when I talk about the size of BD roads and infrastructure.

The congestion is the problem. Making roads and infrastructure wider is the solution. There IS enough land. Singapore by density is higher than BD but their roads are wide and buildings are large. When we make a bridge, even that is only two lanes per direction. When at minimum a road must have 3 lanes, and each lane must be at least 10 ft to 12 ft wide. I don't think we even have rules for what constitutes a lane.

What is preventing that bridge from being wider when there is nothing but empty space around it? If there is an accident or build up on a 2-lane bridge, that stops the entire bridge. But if it has 3-4 lanes, then you can just drive past the obstructed part. Our urban planners have absolutely no design sense.

If you look at a satellite map, there is nothing but empty land and fields. Humans live in congestion. There is nothing preventing us from bigger roads, or building a completely new city from scratch with proper ordinance laws. Even the new neighborhoods they're building on Dhaka's outskirts are with narrow roads. This city will be unlivable in 20 years. This country will be unlivable in 100 years.

When you build a narrow highway, it immediately brings shops and buildings on the side of the road. Thereby preventing it from ever expanding. Which is why when you build it the first time, it needs to be as wide as possible.

If we built wider roads and buildings, there will be significant alleviation of poverty, and in turn actually reduce population growth naturally. The US highway system is a major part of its prowess. If we have less traffic jams, it would open up far more business opportunities than you can imagine. Currently, we can't even facilitate an Amazon type company because going from one location to another takes hours when it should take 15 minutes when there's no traffic.

It's always the same answer from people when I talk about the size of BD roads and infrastructure.

The congestion is the problem. Making roads and infrastructure wider is the solution. There IS enough land. Singapore by density is higher than BD but their roads are wide and buildings are large. When we make a bridge, even that is only two lanes per direction. When at minimum a road must have 3 lanes, and each lane must be at least 10 ft to 12 ft wide. I don't think we even have rules for what constitutes a lane.

What is preventing that bridge from being wider when there is nothing but empty space around it? If there is an accident or build up on a 2-lane bridge, that stops the entire bridge. But if it has 3-4 lanes, then you can just drive past the obstructed part. Our urban planners have absolutely no design sense.

If you look at a satellite map, there is nothing but empty land and fields. Humans live in congestion. There is nothing preventing us from bigger roads, or building a completely new city from scratch with proper ordinance laws. Even the new neighborhoods they're building on Dhaka's outskirts are with narrow roads. This city will be unlivable in 20 years. This country will be unlivable in 100 years.

When you build a narrow highway, it immediately brings shops and buildings on the side of the road. Thereby preventing it from ever expanding. Which is why when you build it the first time, it needs to be as wide as possible.

If we built wider roads and buildings, there will be significant alleviation of poverty, and in turn actually reduce population growth naturally. The US highway system is a major part of its prowess. If we have less traffic jams, it would open up far more business opportunities than you can imagine. Currently, we can't even facilitate an Amazon type company because going from one location to another takes hours when it should take 15 minutes when there's no traffic.
Do you think this Forum will give any solution to narrow roads? Do not talk about Dhaka because the roads there cannot be rectified without destroying the houses and shops. So, it is impossible.

I talked about Zilla roads that can be modified and expanded by filling up the road-side ditches with soil carried from the chars. Do you think there are many other options? Tell us what they are instead of nagging.

Do not please talk about Singapore. It was built by educated leadership who knew the future. Our leaders are a bunch of peasants many of are educated but lack knowledge except how to steal govt money.

Do you think this Forum will give any solution to narrow roads? Do not talk about Dhaka because the roads there cannot be rectified without destroying the houses and shops. So, it is impossible.

I talked about Zilla roads that can be modified and expanded by filling up the road-side ditches with soil carried from the chars. Do you think there are many other options? Tell us what they are instead of nagging.

Do not please talk about Singapore. It was built by educated leadership who knew the future. Our leaders are a bunch of peasants many of are educated but lack knowledge except how to steal govt money.

Ironic you're complaining to me about nagging.

Anyways, i was just sharing my view. I know Dhaka can't be fixed, that's why I suggested building a new city from scratch.....something many countries have done, including Nigeria. And even Indonesia is considering doing, since Jakarta is literally sinking.

I'm not disagreeing with whatever roads you are talking about. The city's urban planners have no design sense, as i said.

Also, Dhaka is being expanded. Nothing has been built in those newer neighborhoods like Purbachal area. Nothing to be demolished. Just bad road and grid design from the onset.

Ironic you're complaining to me about nagging.

Anyways, i was just sharing my view. I know Dhaka can't be fixed, that's why I suggested building a new city from scratch.....something many countries have done, including Nigeria. And even Indonesia is considering doing, since Jakarta is literally sinking.

I'm not disagreeing with whatever roads you are talking about. The city's urban planners have no design sense, as i said.

Also, Dhaka is being expanded. Nothing has been built in those newer neighborhoods like Purbachal area. Nothing to be demolished. Just bad road and grid design from the onset.
Instead of nagging, why do not you give us a big solution to Dhaka and the country's woos? Problem solved. However, you are keeping yourself busy with many complaints, instead!!

Padma bridge rail connection design flaws is not solving

519895_1.jpg
26 Oct, 2020

The two-storey Padma Multipurpose Bridge is not solving the 'flaw' in the rail connection project. Rail connections on both sides of the Padma Bridge have been closed for the last four months since the design was found to be flawed. Last Thursday, the Railways sent a 'special design' to the project director of the Padma Bridge project. The Padma Bridge Authority has also denied that. The Padma Bridge Authority says the design should be 15.5 meters horizontally and 5.8 meters vertically. But in the latest design of the railway, 5.8 meters has been kept vertically but less has been shown in the horizontal. The Padma Bridge authorities say that it should be kept within the prescribed size, the design will not be accepted if it is from 19 to 20.

The matter was discussed with Shafiqul Islam, project director of Padma Bridge project on Sunday evening. "We have received a special design from the railways," he told Jugantar. We have seen that. What we wanted was not fulfilled in the design given to them. We have made it clear to them that the work will be stopped if the defects in the construction of railways at the two ends of the main bridge (Mawa and Jazira) are not fully resolved. Horizontal and vertical - both sides objected to the work of the railway. International standards are horizontal 15.5 m and vertical 5.6 m. The latest design of the railway did not reflect that. I can't accept it from my place. Now they know better what the railways will do. If we design them according to our needs, we will definitely agree.

Talking about this with Professor Shamsul Haque of Bangladesh University of Engineering (BUET). He told Jugantar on Sunday evening that there should be no problem in the vertical - the rail design was given leaving 5.6 meters. The design has been made by showing a little less in the place of horizontal 15.5 meters. This is not supposed to be a problem. But we want to sit down quickly with both sides. Of course, if the two sides sit together, a solution will come out. Engineer Golam Fakhruddin Ahmed Chowdhury, project director of the Padma Bridge Rail Link Project, told Jugantar on Sunday afternoon, "We have recently given a special drawing (design) to the bridge authority." But the bridge authorities have denied it. Now we will sit down with the concerned people including BUET's expert panel and re-design according to their needs. We hope this issue will be resolved soon. As we promised, I will also run the train on the same day through the bridge. Which is becoming a challenge day by day. Work on our project is progressing fast. Only the two ends of the bridge (objected pillars) are closed.

"The steepest grade on a major railroad's main track (as opposed to industrial spurs) was historically said to be on the Pennsylvania Railroad north of Madison, Ind. Now operated by short line Madison Railroad, the track rises 413 feet over a distance of 7012 feet - a 5.89-percent grade".

I wonder why our brilliant engineering authority is asking for a slope of (5.6m/15.5m) x 100 = 36.1% slope when the existing steepest railway line slope is 5.89%?

There must be some mistakes in the newspaper reporting. Instead of 15.5m horizontal it must be 155.0m or it is not the railway line, but the road. Some road slopes in the mountains are kept very steep.

Back
Top Bottom