What's new

Sequel: 2012 Olympics: China's Yi Siling wins first gold medal

and you blow:bunny:

typical indian reply!

None of this is relevant to China medaling in the Olympics as they are working for their adopted country, not China. Your point is irrelevant.

of course they are relevant. if the surplus pool of talents do not take residence overseas and help enhance the quality of rival teams our path for medals will be a lot easier!

Private companies do not have the deep pockets that a government such as China has.

do you know what is us fortune 500? these are deep pocket corporations that are listed on nyse! And they are flexible in providing sponors to athletes who could be directly beneficial to them!

You do not know how much companies spend on Olympic athlete sponsoring. I know Olympic athletes that are not already affiliated with a major league such as the Basketball dream team make very little.
You do know China has deeper pockets than any corporation. You do know China has a great desire for achievements that increase national pride, and thus its legitimacy.

it is silly! the usa is a place where it prides on its olympic achievements as much as anywhere else! that is an excellent political tool for their agenda! Corporate America is as eager to achieve in Olympic games as anywhere else.

You have demonstrated none. Take your own advice.

I comment in common parlance and if you still dont get it, I dont have to say sorry!

The yanks know that the only way to beat us is using total medals. Because they can have multiple medalists in swimming and track & field. So they use Total medals, they used to use gold medals ranking but since we started doing well, they use total medal ranking.

This Olympics shows how much the 2008 thrashing in the gold medal count hurt the west, so this time they wanted to make sure china didn't win the gold medal count. It's also why they want us to collapse economically because ever since the financial crisis, the western economies have done poorly while we have done relatively well. That hurts their ego too.

They just hate to see us advance in any field, when we beat them, they do their smear campaigns to discredit us.
When we win, it's because we are using cruel training or cheating or winning small sports. When we lose, they love it, they would rather see china fail than their own country succeed. It's paranoia.

I'm proud of our athletes, we performed very well despite everything being stacked against us. We got 38 gold. Thank you to all the athletes that medaled and worked hard. I feel so sorry to some of the athletes that were robbed by western judges. We competed well.

To the Americans, enjoy whatever satisfaction you get from this 'victory'. I'm not sure how you enjoy such a tainted 'victory' but hey, if that's what make you happy so be it. Atleast we can say we competed honorably and tried our best. We didn't need favors from judges and we still got 38 gold and 87 overall.

This London Olympic suck!!
China want to stay on first, Between swimming and track and field, at least one of them in which china could rival USA!!
From this game and prvious Olympic, we can find that USA are much stronger than any countries in team game, all these due to their high level professional and marketization league matches!!
State system work in some field, but can't in every filed! China have a long way to go!
As Chinese being rich, China sport will be stronger, but China government and Some vested benefit groups should get away, at least let they manage independently, what they should do is build more sport facility, and don't just want to make money!

who else is not counting the medals even in every front page of your papers! dont make silly comments like that as if you dont care. Partying? we have been partying whenever we have time and whenever our team is doing well. why wait until the last few days like you are waiting in the desert for the first drop of downpour!

I'm sorry if my partying offends you. Victory is sweet and being 2nd makes you act like sore losers resorting to people accusing of us cheating and so on. Don't sound like a party to me, sound more like complaining.

I'm sorry if my partying offends you. Victory is sweet and being 2nd makes you act like sore losers resorting to people accusing of us cheating and so on. Don't sound like a party to me, sound more like complaining.

dont be silly! I am just laughing at such small thing as when you are leading in medal counts, you go out and shout about to the world that you're partying!? Only the very hunger will go in ecstacy and cry out loud that at last they have a full meal in the year!

We are partying and we are also complaining about how where why and when the London games suck! Have you heard about the Brazillian women's football team's complaint? Have you heard about the S Korean fencing team's complaint? Do they celebrate after victory? Of course! We are no different and we do these a lot because we are qualified to participate in many events. We also have more chances to win medals than many others!

typical indian reply!
you are Indian?

of course they are relevant. if the surplus pool of talents do not take residence overseas and help enhance the quality of rival teams our path for medals will be a lot easier!
The same could be said for the American athletes that fight for their adopted countries (usually their ancestral homes), but it still isn't relevant. It still doesn't change that they aren't fighting for China in the Olympics.

do you know what is us fortune 500? these are deep pocket corporations that are listed on nyse! And they are flexible in providing sponors to athletes who could be directly beneficial to them!

Their combined pockets aren't as deep as China's,and whether one is sponsored or not depends alot on how they show their own potential. The company isn't going to pick up prospective hopefuls at a young age, its the athletes who have to come to them and demonstrate their ability that might be sponsored. This is often why American Olympic athletes start out working side jobs to make ends meet.

it is silly! the usa is a place where it prides on its olympic achievements as much as anywhere else! that is an excellent political tool for their agenda! Corporate America is as eager to achieve in Olympic games as anywhere else.
Without a doubt the country prides itself on its Olympic achievements, but that still doesn't mean the company's pockets are as deep as China's, or that they are sponsoring based off a goal like national prestige... profit and exposure is the overriding motive, and indeed sponsoring successful athletes is a mean to such an end but it is not the most efficient means to an end. The NFL and NBA are much more efficient uses for a company's 'sponsoring budget'.

I comment in common parlance and if you still dont get it, I dont have to say sorry!

Who asked you to say sorry! :confused:

China cheers for first Tibetan Olympic medalist - Sports News - SINA English

China cheers for first Tibetan Olympic medalist

XINING/LONDON, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- She grew up herding yaks on a plateau meadow, just like many other women from rural Tibet. Singing and praying accounted for much of her spare time. And it was not until 2008 that she got the chance to watch the Olympic Games on TV for the first time.
But 22-year-old Choeyang Kyi has etched her name into history as China's first Tibetan Olympic medalist, having secured a bronze medal in the women's 20-km race walk event held on Saturday at the London Summer Olympics.
"I had only one thought in mind -- fight! The crowds were so enthusiastic. That helped me stay in high spirits," she told reporters after the race.
Chinese fans have hailed her success, flooding her account on Sina Weibo, a popular microblogging site, with well-wishes and congratulations.
"Last night, all of the Tibetans here stayed up and watched your game on the track. We were thrilled to see you win a medal. Tashi delek (blessings)! Hope you can bring more glory to the Tibetan people," wrote microblogger Kelsanga.
"She smiled a lot during the final 20 km. But I was almost thrilled to tears," wrote blogger "Xiaoye Q" from northeast China.
Feng Jianping, director of the Qinghai provincial sports bureau, hailed Choeyang as "the pride of Qinghai, of Tibetans and of China."
Choeyang's parents watched their daughter make history on TV in their rural home in Haiyan county, located in the Haibei Tibetan autonomous prefecture in northwest China's Qinghai province. Although they were unable to understand the Mandarin-speaking commentator, Gonpo Rabten and Sonamje stared at the TV, fingering prayer beads and chanting Buddhist sutras.
When Choeyang crossed the finish line, her parents smiled, tears welling up in their eyes. Cheers and applause could be heard breaking out in the tents that make up their herding community on the Jinyintan pasture.
They prepared milk tea and food at home as relatives, friends and neighbors flocked to their house, bringing ceremonial white scarves to extend their greetings.
Choeyang said she has missed her parents a great deal, as she has not been home for a long time due to her training.
"My blessings go to my parents and every single one of my supporters," she said.
The woman, whose name in Tibetan means "the sun," cited renowned Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang as her idol.
"Liu Xiang is the model for Chinese track athletes. He has done his best and he has my full support," she added.
FROM HORSEBACK TO TRACK
Choeyang's uncle Haichen, who accompanied her to the London games, said Choeyang first showed her athletic ability at the age of nine, becoming known in her community for her exceptional horse-riding skills.
Her parents sent her to the provincial sports school seven years later after she won a township-level marathon. In 2008, Choeyang was picked by coach Yuan Dejiu to concentrate on the race walk event. She joined the national race walk team two years later.
"Choeyang grew up on the plateau, which may explain her strong heart and breathing capacity, but what really makes her stand out is perseverance," Yuan said. "She takes the pain in the training and never lets up."
To prepare for the Olympics, Choeyang trained hard at the Qinghai Duoba National Sports Training Base, starting her training at 9 a.m. daily and walking about 30 km every day.
After Choeyang earned her Olympic qualification in March, Feng visited her home and gave a 50,000-yuan (7,874 U.S. dollars) subsidy to her impoverished family. She was also given a 3,000-yuan monthly allowance for her training.
Qinghai sports officials said many Tibetan children in rural areas have great athletic potential, but have not had access to proper training.
But the tide has started to turn. The proficiency of Tibetans in sports like shooting, archery and track and field events has led some of them to emerge at national sports competitions.
"We will bring more exceptional Tibetan athletes to the world stage," said Feng. "Choeyang represents just the first step."

you are Indian?

of course not! so you are indian by origin!

The same could be said for the American athletes that fight for their adopted countries (usually their ancestral homes), but it still isn't relevant. It still doesn't change that they aren't fighting for China in the Olympics.

Their combined pockets aren't as deep as China's,and whether one is sponsored or not depends alot on how they show their own potential. The company isn't going to pick up prospective hopefuls at a young age, its the athletes who have to come to them and demonstrate their ability that might be sponsored. This is often why American Olympic athletes start out working side jobs to make ends meet.

you claim we dont have talents but a large population I refuted you twice and this is my last time to disagree to what you said.
China has large pool of talents, especially in sports that we are very good at! And the pool is gaining attentions in swimming and other fields but not as wide spread!

Pull out some data to show me China's atate sponsored athletic system is larger than that of USA's which run on private money *through a mixture of Universities, Clubs and commercial sponsors).

Without a doubt the country prides itself on its Olympic achievements, but that still doesn't mean the company's pockets are as deep as China's, or that they are sponsoring based off a goal like national prestige... profit and exposure is the overriding motive, and indeed sponsoring successful athletes is a mean to such an end but it is not the most efficient means to an end. The NFL and NBA are much more efficient uses for a company's 'sponsoring budget'.

same argument in circles. show me the figure.

Who asked you to say sorry! :confused:
I used to be polite if it was my fault! I also thought you are suffering from a total loss of logic!

The closing ceremony was a huge concert and a fashion show!

Final standing of China:

Gold 38 Silver 27 Bronze 22 Total 87

Well done!:china:

Bye bye London! Looking forward to Rio's Olympics in 4 years time!

081212-5-OLY-Rogge-Paes-OB-PI_20120812191914909_660_320.JPG

IOC head Jacques Rogge (left) hands the Olympic Flag to Rio de Janeiro mayor Eduardo Paes

1408048_M01.jpg

It was a carnival, a large scale concert, cabaret styled closing. They had a bit of everything with a strong accent on popular music past and present. The fashion show was a joke. The human canon ball - the man who fell on the safety net part was a failure. Again LSO's presence as background music orchestra for rock bands was a huge waste. The extingushing moment of the Olympics flames in the cauldron was holy due to end-of-the-party emotions, the Olympic spirit which all spilled over to the diminiishing fire and the beauty of the cauldron design. The John Lennon mask was brilliant. The bright and flashing colours of the LEDs were festive and beautiful which whipped up the music beats. When the spectators were in the stadium, it was difficult for them to eye-capture all the scattered dances, singing and props which were like a mosaic covering every corners of the stage floor laid in the shape of a giant Union jack.

They were presenting the British culture and hard selling to the word "made in GB" personalities and products like Churchill, Lennon ...the taxis, Rolls Royce, super models, fashions whether you like it or not, almost everything they presented were hard or soft commodities. I am amazed windpipe music was so little presented. There was not as many striking moments which could etch in your memory like many of those in Beijing!

I have to say the closing ceremony was not exceptional overall nor it was a disaster. Its loyal to the British and more of entertainment pop culture values that served better to the interests of the western world

A genuine question, are prospective Olympic athletes under the state training system in China allowed to discontinue their training at any time?
Yes. No need to hold onto a dis-motivated and "injured" athlete when there are a million other candidates to replace that athlete. Likewise sports rehabilitation program is poor in China because injured athletes are thrown away, not rehabilitated.

We got our 23rd Bronze in women's shot
Are you sure it's women's bronze and not men's? He looks very manly.

Liu Xiang plans to return after Achilles surgery

ecns.cn

2012-08-10 China Daily Web Editor: Liu Xian

Injury not as bad as it could have been, Chen Xiangfeng reports.

Liu Xiang's surgeon, Nicholas Cullen, said he believes the injury was not as serious as feared, hinting the star hurdler might be able to resume training in six months.

The 29-year-old Chinese hurdler stunned the fans again as he crashed into the first barrier in the first round of the men's 110m hurdles and ended his third Olympic Games with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

He underwent surgery on Thursday at the Wellington Hospital in London. It is the largest independent hospital in the United Kingdom.

Cullen visited Liu in the Athletes Village on Tuesday night and made a preliminary assessment.

Liu seemed somewhat relieved and appeared to be in a good mood the next day. He sent a message to his father, Liu Xuegen.

"I had a very good sleep last night," the message read. "My doctor met me and confirmed the surgery last night. He will operate (Thursday).

"It's a small surgery and will not affect my life. Maybe I will be stronger after I come back. I treasure the hurdling event. I will be back. Since the hurdles are still there, I want to conquer them.

"The key is how I go about recovering after surgery. Just take it easy. Take care."

For the first time since the injury, Liu's parents were made available for a public interview on Wednesday.

His father said Liu's condition wasn't good when he arrived in London last Friday from Germany.

"I had phone calls with his coach after his arrival every day. It's like it would be a little better one day and then get even worse the next day," Liu Xuegen said.

His mother, Ji Fenhua, said she thought about asking Liu when he struck the barrier and hit the track in pain.

"I thought, OK, he could retire now …" she said. "But then we saw his message. He said he still wants to come back. We will not be against his returning after the recovery."

After arriving at the hospital at 11:25 am on Thursday, Liu went through a series of physical checks and was pushed into the operating room at 3 pm.

It was reported by qq.com that besides linking his tendon up, the doctor would also remove a calcified area left over from the last surgery.

Liu underwent his first surgery on the tendon at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center in Houston in December 2008, four months after withdrawing from the Beijing Olympic Games.

Back
Top Bottom