What's new

Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan Found Guilty - Given Three Months Imprisonment

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New Delhi, Oct 26 (PTI) An Indian soldier, who had crossed over to Pakistan during the surgical strikes last year and was handed over to India in January by that country, has been found guilty by an Army court which has recommended nearly three months imprisonment for him.

Official sources said that the Army court sentenced Chandu Babulal Chavan to nearly three months in prison but the quantum of punishment is yet to be approved by appropriate authorities.

Sepoy Babulal Chavan was tried by a General Court Martial and he has pleaded guilty, they said.

Chavan can appeal against his sentence.

Chavan, posted with 37 Rashtriya Rifles, had mistakenly crossed the boundary in Kashmir hours after Indias surgical strikes on terrorist bases across the LoC in September last year.

In January, he was handed over to India by Pakistan.

Chavan belongs to Borvihir village in Dhule district of Maharashtra. His grandmother had died of shock following the news of his capture by Pakistani troops. PTI MPB NSA KJ

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...ss-loc-during-surgical-strikes/1/1075610.html

Just another proof that Chandu crossed LOC deliberately and indeed deserted his post.

@Windjammer @DESERT FIGHTER @Mrc @Max @Spring Onion @Kash_Ninja @Samlee

he committed a mistake and didn't follow procedures for which he was tried as per applicable law and found guilty and sentenced. he is also given a chance for appeal.
Sounds like a fair and transparent carriage of justice to me.

What mistake he committed ? and what was the procedure which he violated ?

I remember the same thing happened to a Pakistani soldier who crossed LoC in 2010 & was captured by Indian Army.
He was sacked after he was returned to Pakistan.

Don't know what happened to the Pakistani soldier captured by Indian Army in 2012.

Nice try. But in both cases soldiers didn't desert their posts because they were pissed off on their superiors.

Try again.

Maám
Army in its training and regulations, procedures laid down surely tells soldiers not to wander off into opposition territory. Under the circumstances a single soldier getting inside enemy territory is surely violation of laid down procedures.
Army Court does consider the circumstances under which event took place and i have full confidence on court that they would've found strong evidence of said person committing mistake.
@Joe Shearer Sir could you elaborate the procedure of court of inquiry in armed forces? I'm sure their working philosophy isn't much different from civil courts.

Isey acha to Pakistan main hi prison main reh leta .He deserted his post due the behaviour of Indian Army general may be some grievance about the poor Food served to Indian jawan who are fighting on the front posts.

he committed a mistake and didn't follow procedures for which he was tried as per applicable law and found guilty and sentenced. he is also given a chance for appeal.
He deserted his posts due to grievance he had against his upper level military personnel may be some kind of mistreatment like Tej bahadur yadav.

Maám
Army in its training and regulations, procedures laid down surely tells soldiers not to wander off into opposition territory. Under the circumstances a single soldier getting inside enemy territory is surely violation of laid down procedures.
Army Court does consider the circumstances under which event took place and i have full confidence on court that they would've found strong evidence of said person committing mistake.
@Joe Shearer Sir could you elaborate the procedure of court of inquiry in armed forces? I'm sure their working philosophy isn't much different from civil courts.

What is important is not the procedure followed; both the Pakistan Army and the Indian Army follows the identical procedure, inherited from the British Army. It follows a judicial pattern, but is governed by the Army Act. I can give you details, but feel it is a waste of time. It is a waste of time because the only reason for this thread is the usual chorus from the 'green' bhakts about this being a case of desertion or of mutiny, of a soldier deserting his station, which is itself a court-martial offence, out of a sense of grievance. @Areesh, always at the head of any pack howling at anything Indian or any Indian, has put it in very straight terms: one Indian example is a discredit to the Indian Army, two Pakistani examples are accidental and 'inadvertent', to use his precise word.

This is by definition; there is no point wasting time on bhakts. Either Protestant or Catholic.

for our part we returned him safe and sound instead of executing him and handing over his body.
since I have been in that area I know such mistakes can happen . soldiers crossing over into enemy territory is not an unheard of or unavoidable all around the world. granted he is tried for it as per procedures but there is no surty it wont happen. in that area every rock and ditch looks the same and once you loose your bearings in adverse weather then all bets are off.. I served there and I know what I am talking about.

It is a waste of time
Maybe some other time and place sir.
i would love to learn more on the subject.

I know such mistakes can happen
I'm not questioning that sir, point is was the mistake deliberate or avoidable.
As i said above, court would surely have taken those points into consideration before delivering the judgement.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom